The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-15-2020, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Great job on this one, Glenn! Fancy pickin
Thank you Bob! I'm glad you thought this came out okay! Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment, Bob!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 09-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Guest 33123

Wonderful Glenn!
Old 09-17-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Wonderful Glenn!
Thank you Doug!

I appreciate your taking time! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 09-17-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this Glenn. Stones In The Road was a favorite CD many years ago and I have lost it in moving around the country. I do look up MCC now and then as she posts a song from her home weekly with her Greven and usually a dog acting like a dog in the background. I'm listening to her rendition of Four Strong Winds as I type.

We have somehow lucked out with the smoke down here. When I go outside the horizon in all directions is obscured with a smokey haze, but there is something going on in the atmosphere directly above the house. I can see the mid-day sun and stars at night, even though my horizontal line-of-sight is limited to about five miles.

In closing, a request - have you ever considered recording Michael Martin Murphey's "Boy From the Country" covered by John Denver?

Regards,
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 09-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Really nice song and the intro is great! I honestly could have heard a little more of your voice in the mix, though.

I got State of the Heart when it came out (1989) based on hearing "How Do" on the radio one time (up in the Philly area, of all places). Her songwriting is not as well known as it deserves.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Thanks for posting this Glenn. Stones In The Road was a favorite CD many years ago and I have lost it in moving around the country. I do look up MCC now and then as she posts a song from her home weekly with her Greven and usually a dog acting like a dog in the background. I'm listening to her rendition of Four Strong Winds as I type.

We have somehow lucked out with the smoke down here. When I go outside the horizon in all directions is obscured with a smokey haze, but there is something going on in the atmosphere directly above the house. I can see the mid-day sun and stars at night, even though my horizontal line-of-sight is limited to about five miles.

In closing, a request - have you ever considered recording Michael Martin Murphey's "Boy From the Country" covered by John Denver?

Regards,
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments and for listening!

I didn't know MCC had a version of "Four Strong Winds." I will have to check that out. I have always liked that song, sad as it is.

Regarding the smoke, I'm glad your air in San Diego has not been too bad. The winds may be blowing stuff away from you, and I am guessing that much of the fires are north of you. San Diego is a lovely town.

I don't remember hearing Michael Martin Murphey's "Boy From the Country" covered by John Denver. I will have to go look it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's hoping your air stays clear down there. Our air up here is a little better today. You can breath outdoors without choking today. AQI is about 138 where I am.

Stay Safe!
- Glenn
Old 09-17-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Really nice song and the intro is great! I honestly could have heard a little more of your voice in the mix, though.

I got State of the Heart when it came out (1989) based on hearing "How Do" on the radio one time (up in the Philly area, of all places). Her songwriting is not as well known as it deserves.
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your taking time.

Regarding vocal level, if a listener's speakers or headphones are not real flat, particularly if they have a bit of a bass boost, it can become harder to hear the vocals. On really flat and really low distortion monitors like the Neumann KH120 that I use, I find that if I adjust vocal levels for what I hear in my headphones -- Shure SRH840 Closed-back Pro monitors, which are a little bassy -- the vocals are ridiculously loud through my Neumann monitors. (I also have a subwoofer combined with the KH120 monitors, so there is no shortage of low bass available.)

I have found that it's best to adjust to the Neumann monitors. Some people complain that they want the vocals louder. I really dislike loud vocals, so I don't do it. In fact, I find I very often dislike the way Country Music is mixed in Nashville. In many cases you can't turn it up without getting your ears blasted by the vocals; I want to hear more than just the vocals. A good example of Alison Krauss's "Let Me Touch You For A While." Of course, there are good examples of Nashville mixed albums from my viewpoint.

My YouTube listeners are mostly guitar players, and I have found that most of them want to hear the guitars almost as up-front as the vocals. Before I changed the way I was mixing, almost nobody listened to my YouTube videos. So it's a matter of taste, just like reverb levels, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment Keith. I hope you are doing well.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-17-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:06 AM

Very nice play on your guitar, with a nice sound. the whole is well interpreted

https://remylefer.bandcamp.com/follow_me

https://open.spotify.com/album/6trcd...qGm8CDlKj8yFiQ

Old 09-18-2020, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rémy64 View Post
Very nice play on your guitar, with a nice sound. the whole is well interpreted
Thank you Rémy!

I appreciate your taking time to listen and comment!

I hope all is well for you! Stay Safe!

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

That was really nice Glenn. Thanks for posting.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 09-18-2020, 10:29 AM

Great job,it sounds great !
Old 09-18-2020, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
That was really nice Glenn. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Chuck! I'm glad you enjoyed this! Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment!

I hope all is well for you! Stay safe!

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2020, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Enrique View Post
Great job,it sounds great !
Merci Nicolas!

Thank you for taking time to listen and to comment here! Welcome to the AGF! I have been enjoying your recordings recently posted on the AGF!

Stay safe!

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2020, 05:55 PM

I had stopped commenting on your videos, Glenn, because they were becoming so good I felt my words were just redundant, seeing the pages and pages of accolades you receive.

But today I looked at your work differently, and this is what I saw.

It started with a guitar player, and a pretty good one at that. And then there was the singer, who by the projection and breath control, you could tell was a practiced and confidant vocalist. The sound engineer and mix down manager did an exceptional job with the vocal and guitar recordings. The cameraman was smooth and measured while the film editor made watching an easy, enjoyable task.

You are a CoolCat with a bunch of very talented hats on your head, Glenn.
Your friend, Frank.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I had stopped commenting on your videos, Glenn, because they were becoming so good I felt my words were just redundant, seeing the pages and pages of accolades you receive.

But today I looked at your work differently, and this is what I saw.

It started with a guitar player, and a pretty good one at that. And then there was the singer, who by the projection and breath control, you could tell was a practiced and confidant vocalist. The sound engineer and mix down manager did an exceptional job with the vocal and guitar recordings. The cameraman was smooth and measured while the film editor made watching an easy, enjoyable task.

You are a CoolCat with a bunch of very talented hats on your head, Glenn.
Your friend, Frank.
Thank you Frank for the very supportive and kind words. How generous of you!

I appreciate your thoughts and comments!

It is true -- this business of performing and making a video does take a lot of knowledge in a bunch of different directions. I'm obviously better at some things than others, but I really appreciate your letting me know you notice all these things. Thank you!

I hope all is well for you, Frank, on the other side of the continent. I'd love to sit down with you over a glass of wine or a couple of beers or whatever, and just enjoy talking about things. This world has gotten so crazy, it would be nice just to have a little normalcy.

You take care Frankie!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell