The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 09:35 AM

I will take note of the manufacture of the guitar. But the bridge pins and tuners? No, just the manufacture of the guitar.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
After Knives & Guitars wrote:

I replied:

Okay, I pulled out my box of tuners, got some aftermarket Gotoh tuner buttons handy, and took a small Phillipshead screwdriver to unscrew the screw holding on the tuner button on a Schertler tuner.

This was the only image I found online that shows the screw in question even halfway well:

Schertler tuners

So I sat down to loosen the screw, then remove it so I could test a Gotoh tuner button on it, only to discover that it would not budge.

At all.

I gave it the old college try but stopped when I realized that the screw would get stripped out if I persisted. As it is, I'll always be able to tell which tuner from the set was the one that I tried to take apart, as I did start to distort the slots a bit.

I've loosened plenty of stiff screws that didn't want to be loosened, but this went beyond that. I'm convinced that the screw was cemented into place when the tuner was put together, and that it was there as a construction method to assemble the tuner but wasn't intended to ever be removed so the buttons could be swapped out.

Perhaps a guitar repairman would be able to coax the screw out of there and change the tuner buttons, but I didn't want to risk it, frankly.

So I'm sorry I can't tell you whether a Gotoh button will fit on a Schertler tuner's shaft, but I think I did determine that the Schertlers aren't intended for that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks Wade for giving it a try. I really appreciate it. You did the smart thing by not going further. Never smart to force things.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Just curious.
Hi Wade

Call it a blessing, but I don't obsess about the guitars people play…I lose interest in the guitars the minute they start making music. I'm a musician, and I love to hear music, make music, share music etc.

I know more about guitars than I probably could ever pass on to my friends and fellow-players. But when it comes to enjoying musicians, I'm focused on what they do with their instruments, not on the hardware.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 PM

I usually don't catch myself paying attention to such details on a performer's guitar, because by the time I became that bored with the music, I would have long walked out and spent my time elsewhere...

Seriously, though, I do pay very close attention to their technique, tone and performance, because that's where I can learn.

The most I pay attention to in terms of their gear is the guitar's body shape, perhaps what capo they use and trying to figure out the guitar's brand (in many cases unsuccessfully, because I don't recognize most boutique logos and headstock shapes).

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I generally don't notice, myself. I'm probably more attuned to tuners than bridgepins, but if the person playing is any good, I'm caught up in the music rather than their gear.

I do tend to notice the brand of their guitars, however, if it's discernible from where I happen to be. But I'm far more of a gearhead than even most other musicians.

whm
Same here, Wade. I almost always look for the brand name but I never take notice of the bridgepins or tuners. I'd notice if something seemed very different though, like multi colored bridge pins but that's just because it would attract the eye.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:19 PM

I don't pay much attention to any details of any of the guitars I might play at a store, or observe otherwise. I go as far as to check to see if it has strings. I can't play the other details.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Bridge pins for sure I don’t think about. Tuners possibly. But I do check out what people are playing. More the overall guitar than the individual components.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 PM

Honestly dont care - typically I dont look at their guitars that closely to notice
tuners and bridge pins - thats an individuals choice .
what matters to me is how they play and their skill level -
Old 04-26-2019, 08:52 PM

I don't obsess about bridge pins, but I confess that I did start to pay attention to them when I noticed Martin Carthy playing with a mixed set.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:53 AM

I guess that the takeaway from this thread is that no one is really looking at your unobtainum bridge pins or tuners. The reality is that beyond around 10-15 feet, they are just light or dark spots n the bridge, and the tuners are hidden behind the headstock anyway.

I might notice something like a wildly colored bridge pin or tuner button when someone is 10 feet away. Or even better when the guitar in question in in my own hands and I am looking it over. Then I might note "hey, cool pins/buttons." Tuners themselves? More likely would only notice if they do not work smoothly or hold a string in tune.

So the reality is that are tuners, tuner buttons or bridge pins functional is the most important consideration. That said, I have swapped out pins and buttons for a different set that I thought looked "better" on that particular guitar. Which is one of those gravy things. I don't do it because of any other reason that it please me.

You lot aren't much in the picture, if at all.

OMMV, as is your right. Like I care...
Old 04-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
I don't obsess about bridge pins, but I confess that I did start to pay attention to them when I noticed Martin Carthy playing with a mixed set.
You do realize that he probably just dropped some and grabbed what was at hand...
Old 04-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Guess I'm a guitar snob.
I look at other players expensive guitars and notice the upgrades they make on them. Pins, Tuners, TRC, Straps and Pick Guards mostly.
Not so much on cheaper guitars though.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
You do realize that he probably just dropped some and grabbed what was at hand...
You might want to research it a little bit.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
You might want to research it a little bit.
Or, since you apparently think that you know something that I don't, you could just tell us.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:12 PM

I guess I'm in the minority on this one...I've only been playing for a few years, and I love all the details that make up a good guitar...I like to know the specs of a guitar and everything catches my eye and piques my curiosity...the tuners, the pins, the pickguard, why you strung that slothead like you did...

I think it's my nature, because I've been the same way about motorcycles all my life...when I see a nice bike, I want to know about that tank, what kind of hand and foot controls you have on there, did you buy that part off the shelf or fab it yourself?...I spot the nice details and I want to know all about it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion