The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 PM

I'd be interested in your comparison between an X20 and Lucky 13. To me the Lucky 13 sounds 'thinner' for want of a better word. It's great in quiet settings and they both produce excellent sound and sustain, but the Lucky 13 loses out to the X20 tonally with harder (louder) playing. I have played several Lucky 13s but only one X20 so far. I thought the El Capitan compares better to the (my) X20 than the Lucky FWIW but I still liked the X20 better overall. I am biased though because I have an X20 (and a Lucky 13) and don't have regular access other CF guitars.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I'd be interested in your comparison between an X20 and Lucky 13. To me the Lucky 13 sounds 'thinner' for want of a better word. It's great in quiet settings and they both produce excellent sound and sustain, but the Lucky 13 loses out to the X20 tonally with harder (louder) playing. I have played several Lucky 13s but only one X20 so far. I thought the El Capitan compares better to the (my) X20 than the Lucky FWIW but I still liked the X20 better overall. I am biased though because I have an X20 (and a Lucky 13) and don't have regular access other CF guitars.
I rather not comment on emerald, I mentioned it only to help describe the three guitars Pandaroo asked about, but I will say that your description of the L13 does not mirror my experience, or any feedback I have ever received before.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 05-04-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Ok, just spent some time with the Savoy, L13, and the RT660, and here is my take.

The Journey RT660 Carbon RoadTrip model is lightest, it's responsive, extremely ergonomic, with a carbon tone very similar to your Emerald X20 Woody. In fact, although a bit smaller, it has about the same volume. Journey is definitely doing everything right, and this new RT660 might be my favorite offering from them.

Moving to the Blackbird Lucky 13, you'll find the guitar a bit heavier, but still plenty light for travel, and extremely ergonomic. Tonally the L13 has more volume mostly in the form of it's outstanding low end, and mid range growl. The L13 is the least CF sounding CF guitar.

The Savoy takes the L13 voice more towards wood, so a more natural earthy tone, with tons of volume, (maybe more than the L13) with excellent sustain and note separation. And probably because it's not CF, the Savoy doesn't sound anything like what we've learned to expect from CF guitars. As I said in my earlier post, this guitar really needs to be compared to higher end wood guitars tonally.

Bottom line, I would be happy with any of these guitars on an extended vacation, maybe even as my only guitar, although I don't like to think of such things. Obviously at $1199 with K&K style electronics, the Journey is a killer deal, and like the L13, it feels like a full size guitar. The L13 is a premium acoustic, with a warmer, more natural tone, with a higher price to go with it. The Savoy is something else all together. At $2500 without electronics it's the most expensive of the three, but well worth it, IMO. It's slightly smaller than the other two, fits in a case about the same size as what comes with a cargo, so it's the most travel friendly. And while it feels a bit smaller than the other two, once you start playing it you will forget all about the size. The voice is huge!

So there it is three great options for your summer travels.
Thank you very much Ted, that is helpful for sure.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 PM

2014 Lucky

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:30 PM

By the way I love the Lucky 13. It's a great guitar but doesn't feel as full in sound as the X20 across the range of what I try to do with guitars. How's that different from your experience?

Old 05-04-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Thank you very much Ted, that is helpful for sure.
My pleasure, anytime.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
By the way I love the Lucky 13. It's a great guitar but doesn't feel as full in sound as the X20 across the range of what I try to do with guitars. How's that different from your experience?
Man some don't get it.?. let it go!,,,
Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 AM

I was playing some fingerpicking exercises on the Lucky 13 just this morning. This guitar is a keeper and I don't plan on letting it go anytime soon.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Guest 928

Mot;

If you decide to let it go, send it to me.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM

It doesn't have nylon strings and I am far from ready to let it go, but email me when you are ready and maybe we can make a temporary swap with one of your nylon parlors. I might still have a box around.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Guest 928

Ted;

This looks like a marvelous guitar and I see that I am not alone in my interest. There has not been much of a buzz, yet, but once the guitar reaches the street I suspect that the buzz will pick up.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Ted;

This looks like a marvelous guitar and I see that I am not alone in my interest. There has not been much of a buzz, yet, but once the guitar reaches the street I suspect that the buzz will pick up.
Hi Evan,

Joe tells me they are planning to build 50 Savoy's per year, and most of the ones being built this year are already spoken for, so there is plenty of interest. But given that the guitar war introduced only three months ago, and that this was the first Savoy shipped out, it will definitely take some time before more players can try them.

BTW, having had more time to get to know this little beauty, I continue to be amazed at just how good this guitar is. In fact, for the first time in many years, I am actually thinking of selling off some of my CF and wood travel guitars.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:10 PM

Woo hoo! My Blackbird Savoy is on it's way to my house! I can't wait to see and hear it. Next week seems like a long way off!
Barb
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 PM

That's exciting! Can't wait to hear about it.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Woo hoo! My Blackbird Savoy is on it's way to my house! I can't wait to see and hear it. Next week seems like a long way off!
Barb
That's awesome Barb! Welcome to the very small and intimate Ekoa club!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber