The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-22-2016, 05:59 PM

Default Help identifying chords please

Heard this song in a restaurant yesterday and find it very catchy. I don't have a good ear for picking out chords and would greatly appreciate a little help.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2016, 04:59 AM

Intro:
|D - - - |D - - - |Bm - - - |Bm - - - | x2

Verse:
|D - - - |A - - - |G - - - |D - - - | x2

Pre-chorus:
|D - - - |A - - - |G - - - |D - - - | x2

Chorus:
|G - - - |Gm - - - |D - - - |A - - - |
|G - - - |Gm - - - |D - - - |F#m7 - - - |
|A - - - |A (break)|

(repeat intro)

Repeat verse - pre-chorus - chorus.

Bridge:
|D - - - |D - - - |
|C#7 - - - |F#m - - - |C#7 - - - |F#m - - - |
|E - - - |A - - - |A - - - |A - - - |
|C - - - |A\C# - - - |

Solo (as verse): |D - - - |A - - - |G - - - |D - - - | x2

Repeat pre-chorus and chorus

Coda: D...

The intro and verse contain extremely common changes - stock sequences in classic mainstream rock - so you should memorise those sounds. I-vi for the intro, I-V-IV-I for the verse (and pre-chorus).

The chorus G-Gm-D change (IV-iv-I) is more distinctive, but not uncommon - and easily recognised once you've heard it a few times. (BTW, the F#m7 sounds a little like F#7, but I'm pretty sure it's minor, and the A# that seems to be present is probably just an overtone of the F# bass.)
The changes in the bridge are rather more unusual - and simply being able to tell they're unusual (outside the standard "diatonic set" of chords in the key) - which you probably can - is useful.
C#7-Fm is a V-i in the key of F# minor, but in this D major context it would be called "V/iii - iii", the C#7 being a "secondary dominant". (The slash in this case means "of" btw.)
The E major is also a secondary dominant - V/V, dominant of A - which gives a brief sense that the key has changed to A.
The C major chord is bVII, and is a very common sound in rock - call it a "mixolydian VII", or "borrowed from the parallel minor" (D minor) if you like.

Last edited by JonPR; 10-23-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 PM

Many thanks!!

I fiddled around for a while yesterday and just couldn't make much progress figuring out the bridge. Didn't get a chance to play today. I'm looking forward to giving it a try tomorrow.

Last edited by motojunky; 10-23-2016 at 09:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write