The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray D View Post
Hi. I've had my OF660O1 for about a month and I'm very happy with the guitar. The fit and finish are very good, it plays well and it sounds very good. I couldn't believe that there wasn't any wood in the guitar when I played it for the first time. I'm also really liking the tuners, which are very smooth and accurate.

A couple of questions:
1. My guitar strap does not fit on the end pin as the end pin is too big. Has anybody tried the D'Addario Cinchfit or something similar?

2. I'd like to get a regular gig bag and Sanjuro recommended the Road Runner Roadster Little Brat soft case. Does anyone know where to find one of these cases? I've had no luck. If not, is there another case you'd recommend?

Thanks.
Ray
For the endpin question, I second the tapastring recommendation.

For the gig bag, Ive got the Journey roadtrip gig bag and love it.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago 0

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Agree on the Road Trip bag. Its perfect if you do not need to break down the guitar.

tlj
Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJ View Post
Agree on the Road Trip bag. Its perfect if you do not need to break down the guitar.

tlj
I just went down to the local music store and acquired a Guardian Vintage CG-090-C1/2 ("Classic, 1/2 size") gigbag for use when I need something to store or carry the OF660 in, but I don't want to break it down.

It's very cheap (under $30 at the store I get a discount from 'cause I'm a "professional" by the broadest possible definition of the term, and I go to that store a lot), and padding is thin. I would never get one for a wood guitar other than a Pacific Rim laminated wood student model. But it's a perfect fit for the Journey, and adequate for local use.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
...if anyone would be interested in a non-backpack case for the OF-660. The Road Runner Roadster Little Brat soft case is a perfect fit for the OF-660. Almost like it was custom built for Journey's little travel guitar. I use case when at the house, and of course the backpack case is used when I'm on the road. Here's some pics of the case.

What an update for an already excellent review!
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 06-16-2018, 03:55 AM

I thought some Journey owners might be interested to see the OF660 with Gotoh tuners. Amazingly, the Gotoh 510 are direct replacement for the Grover minis that come with the Journey. No drilling needed. Easy.

I added ebony buttons to these Gotoh which are much lighter than the solid metal buttons.

To my eyes, the black buttons somehow give the guitar a slightly more balanced look. The silver buttons gave me the impression the headstock was very small (it is), but with the Gotoh, it appears just a bit larger. Again, to my eyes.

I like the look. It fits fine in the Journey backpack bag.

The Grovers that come with it are nice working tuners but I like 1:21 ratio Gotoh--and they are very, very smooth.

Here are some comparison photos.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I added ebony buttons to these Gotoh which are much lighter than the solid metal buttons.

To my eyes, the black buttons somehow give the guitar a slightly more balanced look.

It's amazing the difference different tuning pegs make. Looks really nice.

Where did you get these ebony ones from? I'd love to change some on my guitars to wood ones, either rosewood or ebony.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:14 AM

http://www.lmii.com/ has a number of variations for reasonable prices (except for shipping!)

I also have a set of the oval shaped ebony. Not sure which I like best yet.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:34 AM

Can you give me a link to the removable support?
Old 06-16-2018, 10:37 AM

Belay that request.....I found it.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:44 AM

Yes, it's Sagework, formerly Barnett.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:09 PM

Hi OF660 fans-

I've been intrigued by what I've seen and heard of this guitar in YouTube videos, and today I finally was able to play one that my local shop has in its stock. I was impressed by how good it sounded fingerstyle, but disappointed by the strummed sound. The main issue was a too-loud 1st string (high E). I could readily adjust to it playing fingerstyle or even picking, but for strumming it really stuck out. I thought at first it might be a resonance (I was at first playing lots of key-of-E chords with the 1st string open), but playing the same notes on the 2nd string produced a noticably lower volume. If it were a "normal" guitar I would have attributed the issue to a quirk of the bracing, but I don't know if CF guitars even have bracing! 8-)

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it might be a quirk of the particular one I played. If you've noticed it, was it something you could fix to some degree with a change in brand or gauge of string?

Finally, @Johnny5 asked:

> I have watched every single video I can find and I have yet to see someone play above the 12th fret (or even talk about the playability or access to upper frets)

I was wondering about hi-fret playability myself, since some of my favorite tunes use chords beyond the 12th fret. The OF660 carve-out doesn't function like a cutaway; your wrist will still bump into the body. But you can tilt your hand to get some level of access beyond the 14th fret. I found I was able to play a favorite tune that has a 5/6 bar chord at the 14th fret [0 14 14 14 17 16]; it wasn't comfortable, but I could grab that chord without too much trouble. So I'd say it's a reasonable compromise given the need to support the fly-away neck joint.

-Tom
Old 06-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjloredo View Post
Hi OF660 fans-

I've been intrigued by what I've seen and heard of this guitar in YouTube videos, and today I finally was able to play one that my local shop has in its stock. I was impressed by how good it sounded fingerstyle, but disappointed by the strummed sound. The main issue was a too-loud 1st string (high E). I could readily adjust to it playing fingerstyle or even picking, but for strumming it really stuck out. I thought at first it might be a resonance (I was at first playing lots of key-of-E chords with the 1st string open), but playing the same notes on the 2nd string produced a noticably lower volume. If it were a "normal" guitar I would have attributed the issue to a quirk of the bracing, but I don't know if CF guitars even have bracing! 8-)

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it might be a quirk of the particular one I played. If you've noticed it, was it something you could fix to some degree with a change in brand or gauge of string?

Finally, @Johnny5 asked:

> I have watched every single video I can find and I have yet to see someone play above the 12th fret (or even talk about the playability or access to upper frets)

I was wondering about hi-fret playability myself, since some of my favorite tunes use chords beyond the 12th fret. The OF660 carve-out doesn't function like a cutaway; your wrist will still bump into the body. But you can tilt your hand to get some level of access beyond the 14th fret. I found I was able to play a favorite tune that has a 5/6 bar chord at the 14th fret [0 14 14 14 17 16]; it wasn't comfortable, but I could grab that chord without too much trouble. So I'd say it's a reasonable compromise given the need to support the fly-away neck joint.

-Tom
Did you check to see if the nut and saddle were positioned correctly? Journey are known for the nut and saddles to be loose and even fall off when it is disassembled (maybe more so than other guitars). There have been many comments to that effect over the years. Mine did this continually till I glued the nut in for the second time. My saddle is still loose and will fall out if the guitar is turned over--but I'm fine with that.

The point is, Journey OF660s are shipped in their backpacks and then assembled in the store. If the nut is loose, it could slide out of place left or right causing sound issues. With the strings loose and all suddenly becoming tight at once, there can also be some not exactly where you want them to be on the saddle surface--though less of an issue.

Another issue that I always need to check when reassembling or changing strings is that it is easy for one of the strings, especially the high e string, to rest on the top of the nut between slots, not in it's own slot. This also causes sound issues. I've had it happen a couple times and since then, always double check everything is in place before I tighten the neck back on. It's easy to assume they should be in place because there is a string guide with holes placed for each string--but it can easily happen.

In a guitar store, it's possible it was assembled quickly and seemed OK, but these details could have been overlooked if they weren't aware of the possible issues.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjloredo View Post
Hi OF660 fans-

Finally, @Johnny5 asked:

-Tom
Any time something doesn`t sound quite right on my OF660, I check the strings as they cross the saddle. The bone saddle is soft enough that it easily forms grooves. Occasionally a string will be found to be out of its groove, or in a nearby, secondary groove. This is something that you should check every time you reassemble the guitar. It only takes a moment to move the errant string.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:23 PM

@ac, @rmoretti49, thanks for those tips re: re-assembly of the guitar! Sounds like a good candidate for what I heard. Next time I'm by the store I'll check it out again; hopefully this is what was behind what I was hearing. -Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber