The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-04-2016, 02:08 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words, Lotis! I'm about to post this video in a new thread, but we're getting some serious artists lovin' our OF660!
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Guest 928

Rob;

I think this is the best demo of the Journey that I've seen/heard. It illustrates a very balanced, clear, instrument, one that you have reason to be proud of--congratulations!
Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 PM

Thanks, buddy. It's been a long, tough road - but I think we're finally getting somewhere. haha

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:51 PM

So I pulled the trigger on a black OF660, have had it for about 2 weeks now. Early impressions are that I am very satisfied with it as my leave out all the time/travel guitar. I also have a revoiced Martin 000-18 so I am not going to pretend that it compares tonewise, but for a small travel/parlor sized guitar I think the OF660 sounds very good. Fit and finish are very good, the action was high but a little sanding of the saddle took care of that. The case is very nice, but I may look into buying a regular gig bag for times I don't need/want to disassemble it. After reassembling the guitar, it does require you to fine tune a few times to achieve stability. Overall I highly recommend checking out the OF660 if you are looking for a carbon fiber travel guitar!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:55 PM

Also wanted to say that Journey customer service is great. Got a phone call from one of the owners of the company a few days after I registered it to ask how I was doing with it and if I had any concerns! They seem to have an open door policy, and are quick to respond to any issues you may have.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:17 AM

Default Thread resurrection

Older thread I know, I was looking for feedback on the neck on this OF660 and how low you can get the action, as well as how well the cutaway gives you access to upper frets?

Before I make the long trek from Newtown, CT to Long Island (closest dealer I could find) to check one out, I was hoping if someone could give me their impressions on play-ability, also gig-ability. I need to access the upper registers and we gig so many outdoor festivals that I REALLY need a CF guitar to gig with.

I have played the Cargo which I really like but is just too small... and I have never been overly impressed with any of the RainSongs I have played. Almost bought an Alpaca prototype used.... but I would have to buy it sight unseen and it has no pickup!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Wow, nobody with feedback? No thoughts, nothing? Tough crowd... lol.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:38 AM

Sorry Johnny,

I love my OF660. The neck was a little hard to get used to as I played my GS mini a lot prior to the OF. The OF neck is much flatter. But once I got over that I think it has great tone and you cant beat the ability to take it anywhere without worry.

I live on the road and it fits in most any overhead except for some smaller regional jets. And when I get where I am going I can leave it in the truck of a rental car in 100 degree weather or play it on the beach without water or humidity worries. Does it have the tone of my 000-28? Nope. But I can't travel with the Martin without considering all of the above.

You would not be disappointed.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Guest 928

J5;

I don't yet own a Journey because Rob keeps stalling on a nylon string guitar. However, my impression is that your questions can be answered by the large number of videos illustrating the play and sound of the Journey. And there's this: sometimes it takes a while for a forum member to get to the forum and so answers are sometimes slow in coming. In the meantime, it sounds like you are engaged in an interesting search.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:28 PM

Cool thanks guys, I have watched every single video I can find and I have yet to see someone play above the 12th fret (or even talk about the playability or access to upper frets). Honestly playability and access is more important to me than tone for this particular guitar because I have my Kronbauer and my Guild to cover my wood tones and recording duties (although if it sounds and plays well enough the composite will get some time there as well!). Whatever composite I buy is (at this point) strictly for outdoor gigs (of which we do many) and the occasional travel. I am so tired of finicky necks etc. due to heat, cold, damp, etc.

I generally like a flatter radius so that is good news Sponserv! Sounds like I need to make a drive to LI this week... lol
Old 03-18-2017, 09:29 PM

Any lefty models yet ?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:45 PM

no lefties in carbon yet.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:02 PM

Hi. I've had my OF660O1 for about a month and I'm very happy with the guitar. The fit and finish are very good, it plays well and it sounds very good. I couldn't believe that there wasn't any wood in the guitar when I played it for the first time. I'm also really liking the tuners, which are very smooth and accurate.

A couple of questions:
1. My guitar strap does not fit on the end pin as the end pin is too big. Has anybody tried the D'Addario Cinchfit or something similar?

2. I'd like to get a regular gig bag and Sanjuro recommended the Road Runner Roadster Little Brat soft case. Does anyone know where to find one of these cases? I've had no luck. If not, is there another case you'd recommend?

Thanks.
Ray
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM

"Tapastring Strap Keeper". That's what I've got and it works well on endpin jacks like yours. I have the OF660 too. Great travel guitar.

Can't help with the gig bag, I use the stock backpack.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Comparisons of Lucky 13 to Journey OF660

No reason to start another Journey thread.

I have been looking for something better every since I got stuck with only my guitalele for three weeks recently. I got the Lucky 13 for travel, but it's too big for some trips I take. How does the Journey compare to the Lucky? Looking for the good, the bad and even the ugly.

Thanks,

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber