The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-03-2024, 03:40 PM

Default Shannon (Henry Gross) cover posted

Hi, I posted my latest cover song video to my YouTube channel. There are now 75 songs posted on my 'Old Faithful Covers' channel.

Henry Gross was touring with the Beach Boys in the mid seventies and mentioned to Carl Wilson that he had a dog named Shannon (an Irish Setter). Carl told Henry that he had recently lost a dog named Shannon (a Samoyed). Carl's dog had been hit and killed by a car. Apparently, Henry was inspired to write and record a fictional story about the loss of Carl's dog.

The song is a multi-track cover on which I played and sang all of the instrumental and vocal parts. I tried to sound as close to the original recording as possible.

If you enjoy the video, please send a link to someone else who might like it.

Thanks. beatbyrd

https://youtu.be/6DLvZWLa7X8
Old 03-03-2024, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Breath-taking! And wonderful! Thank you!
Steve
Old 03-04-2024, 10:10 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Breath-taking! And wonderful! Thank you!
Steve
Thanks Steve. My response to your comment would be the same as yours.
I found your comment 'Breath-taking! And wonderful! Thank you!'. And aside from beer and chili dog farting in a crowded VW bug many years ago in winter, I have never done anything that was called breath-taking.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbyrd View Post
Thanks Steve. My response to your comment would be the same as yours.
I found your comment 'Breath-taking! And wonderful! Thank you!'. And aside from beer and chili dog farting in a crowded VW bug many years ago in winter, I have never done anything that was called breath-taking.
Give credit where credit is due! Falsettos can easily come off as creepy & cartoonish, followed by people squinting their eyes & gritting their teeth! You pulled it off well, as well as the harmonies! As far as the breath-taking episode you referred to earlier, well, let's just say, I'm glad I didn't share that one with you!
Steve
Old 03-05-2024, 01:33 PM

I was trying to walk the tightrope of savoring your praise and remaining humble. And I sincerely thank you once again.

There is a new development though..... One of the comments recently added to the song is allegedly from the spouse of Henry Gross, writer and artist on the original hit. She said that she played it for Henry and they both really enjoyed it. I can't ask for higher praise than that.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:16 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Nicely done! One of the tear-jerkers from my youth... along w/Blind Man in the Bleachers...

I used to play this one a lot. You did a fantastic job...
Old 03-06-2024, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

E-gads! You mean there was a blind man in those bleachers!?! Well, I hope he didn't hear what was going on in that VW down below .....
Steve
Old 03-06-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
E-gads! You mean there was a blind man in those bleachers!?! Well, I hope he didn't hear what was going on in that VW down below .....
Steve
As I recall, the 'hearing' was the least of it.

On another note..... has everyone heard the Casey Kasem meltdown tape where he goes nuts about having to buzzkill his show doing a dead dog dedication? This was the song he went nuts about. You can find it on YouTube if you search on 'Casey Kasem death dedication'. I'd provide a link but I don't want to violate any rules of this forum. There are a couple of 'F' bombs.

The unique YouTube video identifier is: ndUk6yX3PBo
You can cut and paste it into the YouTube search box, if interested.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell