The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-27-2024, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Carefree Highway by Gordon Lightfoot (cover)

I made two versions of this 1974 hit song, the top one, with only guitar and voice, and the lower one with added drums, bass and piano. I have put up the chords as part of the video to help those who might be interested in learning to play this, and I thought having just voice and guitar might make it easier for those who want to learn the song.

Thanks for listening. I always enjoy doing a Lightfoot song.

- Glenn
Old 02-27-2024, 11:06 PM

Oh that was great Glenn, I forgot all about that song, thanks for reintroducing it to me!!! Everything was spot on! And Gordon Lightfoot vocal parts just seem to suit your voice. You know if you were a solo musician around my town I would make a point to go and check out your shows. And the first version with just guitar and voice kinda felt like that. Maybe in the future you can do one of your songs stripped down with nothing but you and your guitar, not even harmonies. You've surely got the guitar skills and voice to do it!
Old 02-28-2024, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Another great cover - thanks, Glenn, really enjoyed that. Putting in the chords ups your presentation for hackers like me (thanks, again). This song has one of my favorite lyrics…her name was Ann and I’ll be ****ed if I recall her face…
Old 02-28-2024, 06:53 AM

Fantastic as always!
Old 02-28-2024, 08:14 AM

Glenn and Gordon are a great match. I always enjoy your covers but the Lightfoot songs are extra special. Guitar vocals are just great.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 02-28-2024, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Top-shelf Glenn! Sounds amazing from vox to that gorgeous Guild 12er!!
Old 02-28-2024, 08:56 AM

Very nice Glenn. I liked that very much…so well done.

Interesting that you chose the D45 for the solo work rather than one of your electrics. Did you audition any of the electrics for the part, or just decide to go all acoustic from the outset? Sounds great, just wondering.

Roger
Old 02-28-2024, 08:58 AM

Great job one this one Glenn.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Another great cover production very well done
I personally prefer the full version which especially on my studio sound system (HP's and speakers) comes through in full glory
Mixing wise just curious are you doing any ducking of the bass for kick hit's ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I don't know that song, but really like it and it suits your voice so well. The Guild is glorious as always (did you double it up or is that just it's own jangle?).
Great job!
Old 02-28-2024, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I'm always impressed by your talent, Glenn. Love this.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-28-2024, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Oh that was great Glenn, I forgot all about that song, thanks for reintroducing it to me!!! Everything was spot on! And Gordon Lightfoot vocal parts just seem to suit your voice. You know if you were a solo musician around my town I would make a point to go and check out your shows. And the first version with just guitar and voice kinda felt like that. Maybe in the future you can do one of your songs stripped down with nothing but you and your guitar, not even harmonies. You've surely got the guitar skills and voice to do it!
Thanks so much for your kind words, Daniel! How nice of you! And I would love to hear your live show, too! I'm glad you felt this came out okay!

- Glenn
Old 02-28-2024, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Another great cover - thanks, Glenn, really enjoyed that. Putting in the chords ups your presentation for hackers like me (thanks, again). This song has one of my favorite lyrics…her name was Ann and I’ll be ****ed if I recall her face…
Thank you Angie!

I really appreciate your kind feedback on these videos. And I am really glad to read that you appreciate the chords. They take quite a while to put up, so it's good to know they are appreciated. I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago.

I did some studying about the background on this song. It appears that Ann was her real name, though Gordo would never divulge her last name -- which is the gentlemanly thing to do, of course. He was totally infatuated with her at the time, he was age 22, but suddenly she just decided it was time to move on. She did come to a performance later to say "Hi" and by that time he had already written this song. He said he didn't think she ever realized that the song was about her. He used the rigors of the road, that "carefree highway," to try not to think about her. He was driving along Arizona State Route 74 in north Phoenix one time and the sign on the side of the road said, "Carefree Highway." Said Lightfoot, "I thought it would make a good title for a song. I wrote it down, put it in my suitcase and it stayed there for eight months."

Thanks again, Angie!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 02-28-2024 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbgit View Post
Fantastic as always!
Thank you Plumbgit!

I very much appreciate your taking time to watch and comment! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 02-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Glenn and Gordon are a great match. I always enjoy your covers but the Lightfoot songs are extra special. Guitar vocals are just great.
Thank you Joe! I do feel good doing Lightfoot songs! Thanks so much!

So you preferred the video with just guitar and vocals, I gather. And I think it does make sense, particularly for folks on the AGF. I have to confess that I like the way both of these videos sound. I like the guitar version, and then if I listen to the full band version, I like the addition of the other instruments to add fullness to the sound.

Regarding Gordon Lightfoot songs and my covering them, yes, they work out well for me because his vocal range pretty much exactly matches mine. "Carefree Highway" is written right in the middle of his range so it must be one of the easiest Lightfoot songs to sing that he ever wrote. And still, it's very melodic. Even the harmony is not difficult, which is mostly a bunch of high E notes, which are not all that high.

Thanks for your kind feedback, Joe! I hope all is well for your family and your two boys!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 02-28-2024 at 02:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell