The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-22-2020, 09:53 PM

Here is Isaac installing the rosette...(I will keep my comments to a minimum since I have very little idea what he is doing in the photos actually! LOL)

Old 01-22-2020, 09:54 PM

Old 01-22-2020, 09:55 PM

I really like how near perfect that adirondack top is...

Last edited by gitarro; 01-23-2020 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
One of my favourite builds to date. It sounded incredible right from the get go, and I'm hoping to play it again soon!! Isaac Jang has closed his build list and stopped taking orders. His dealers all now have only 1 slot every 18 months so he's getting extremely exclusive. You got extremely lucky getting this slot through me so early on [emoji38]
Many thanks to you Marcus for that slot and for making the entire process of commissioning such a joy! Though I probably drove you up the wall pestering you on all manner of details and matters!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Congratulations, guitarro!

I am excited to follow this thread. I am a big fan of Isaac and his work and was fortunate to first meet him years ago when I was visiting Kathy Wingert's shop and he was apprenticing with her. I also have been fortunate enough to be able to play a number of his fine guitars. How wonderful that you will have one of these beauties to play for many years to come.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks Alan, Jayne, Richard and Eric. BTW I already have this guitar and have had it for some time now, but I have only now gotten round to posting the build photos. I will leave my comments on the finished guitar till the end of this thread but I am sure it is obvious that I do not hate it! LOL

Last edited by gitarro; 01-22-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Congrats on the new commission. Looking forward to following this thread. I still have a long journey ahead until I reach your stage to be able to determine my Platinum Age guitar. Poor Marcus will continue to be pestered by me in many more years to come
Hey Pandaroo do I understand you correctly that you are also on Isaac's build list? Or are you referring to your future Doerr build? ( I got the idea from your Keystone thread that you only ordered through Marcus Keystone and Doerr builds in addition to your Benavides.) Whatever the case, I am not sure which is better - the commissioning process or the actual NGD, but both sure enhance each other, and to commission a guitar is so much more fulfilling than just buying a guitar off the shelf whether it is new or used. Yes, you are able to ascertain the tone as a sure thing in the latter case whereas to commission one requires a leap of faith in a sense. But when it pays off, the end result is a much closer sense of participation in the creation of the guitar.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Hey Pandaroo do I understand you correctly that you are also on Isaac's build list? Or are you referring to your future Doerr build? ( I got the idea from your Keystone thread that you only ordered through Marcus Keystone and Doerr builds in addition to your Benavides.) Whatever the case, I am not sure which is better - the commissioning process or the actual NGD, but both sure enhance each other, and to commission a guitar is so much more fulfilling than just buying a guitar off the shelf whether it is new or used. Yes, you are able to ascertain the tone as a sure thing in the latter case whereas to commission one requires a leap of faith in a sense. But when it pays off, the end result is a much closer sense of participation in the creation of the guitar.
I am still in the journey of discovery. On top of the Benavides and Keystone, I have a Doerr coming soon as the build has started last month and also committed to at least one Tom Sands which is currently on hold for me by Marcus. Then a Michaud in 2022. I think after that, I should then be able to get a really good idea where I am heading with myself in terms of personal preferences etc. and then commission an ultimate build like what you are doing now. Who knows, may be I might end up round in circles and the end result may just be an Isaac Jang afterall. I am not yet in his build list but his design has always caught my eye.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 01-22-2020, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

GO ISAAC....!!! a favorite of mine, good call, exiting, congrats...!!!
Old 01-23-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I am still in the journey of discovery. On top of the Benavides and Keystone, I have a Doerr coming soon as the build has started last month and also committed to at least one Tom Sands which is currently on hold for me by Marcus. Then a Michaud in 2022. I think after that, I should then be able to get a really good idea where I am heading with myself in terms of personal preferences etc. and then commission an ultimate build like what you are doing now. Who knows, may be I might end up round in circles and the end result may just be an Isaac Jang afterall. I am not yet in his build list but his design has always caught my eye.
Wow you dont do things by halves pandaroo! The whole journey sounds pretty ultimate already because it sounds like you will have a lot of bases covered- the quasi-somogyi inspired tone (Sands, keystone), the clear and high separation contemporary tone (michaud), the post Ryan fusion tone (doerr) and others (Benavides).
Old 01-23-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
GO ISAAC....!!! a favorite of mine, good call, exiting, congrats...!!!
Thanks Dave - it is also partially your fault thanks to the threads you started showing off all the Jang guitars you got to try out! LOL
Old 01-23-2020, 04:21 AM

IHere's some Brazilian goodness on display...

I remember reading how English master luthier Sobell's best sets of brazilian rosewood were very dark old growth sets that had even greenish streaks and that rang like slate when tapped. I am no luthier or woodworker but I wqouldnt be surprised if this brazilian was similar to those sets.

Last edited by gitarro; 01-23-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:22 AM

Old 01-23-2020, 04:24 AM

The reason for using BRW is in its acoustic properties, but to me, there is no tonewood more lustrous nor as beautiful to me than old growth brazilian rosewood.

Last edited by gitarro; 01-23-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Do we need to get you an Isaac Jang too then?

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 01-24-2020, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Some mighty fine looking woods there, gitarro!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the end result! (even though I know it's in your hands already...)
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop