The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-20-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Was that due to the tighter waist as compared to the wingert and the cathedral?
Wingert actually has a tighter waist.

Halland Waist: 9 3/4"
Wingert Waist: 9 5/16"

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 01-21-2020, 05:56 AM

Default Halland

I took the Halland AB/Spruce from Paul at Dream Guitars on trial this past weekend. I've owned a Greenfield guitar and saw many similarities so I wanted to see what Mr. Holland learned during his apprenticeship. In short, Mr. Halland's DC-H blew me away and I bought it. I'll post a full review in the next week or so. There are plenty of sound samples available so I'll concentrate on the physical aspects which are just as remarkable as the instrument's tone. The Halland's sound is different than Greenfield's but just as addictive as his. Greenfield is a little more laid back and sophisticated. Halland is aggressive. Think Aston Martin vs Dodge Viper. Big bold basses (the most intriguing I've ever played) and beautiful fully developed trebles. I am going to put on a set of my favorite DADGAD strings (Wyres) and see what happens. In DADGAD after a few minutes this instrument convinced me it was made by alien intelligence far superior to our own.

It's hard to take the measure of a guitar from a Youtube video. In the case of Paul's demo however, the extraterrestrial sustain and resonance of the instrument are accurately portrayed.

Cincy

Last edited by Cincy2; 01-21-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
I took the Halland AB/Spruce from Paul at Dream Guitars on trial this past weekend. I've owned a Greenfield guitar and saw many similarities so I wanted to see what Mr. Holland learned during his apprenticeship. In short, Mr. Halland's DC-H blew me away and I bought it. I'll post a full review in the next week or so. The Halland tone is different than Greenfield's but addictive just like his. Greenfield is a little more laid back and sophisticated. Halland is aggressive. Think Aston Martin vs Dodge Viper. Big bold basses and beautiful fully developed trebles.

It's hard to take the measure of a guitar from a Youtube video. In the case of Paul's demo however, the sustain and resonance of the instrument are accurately portrayed.

Cincy
Great to see that the Halland has found a new home with you. Here is a thought for your
Next order - just imagine If the halland is more aggressive than your greenfield that was already supercharged with an elevated fretboard, just imagine how Halland DC-H would sound like if it had an elevated fretboard! (Gage does indeed offer that option...LOL)

Last edited by gitarro; 01-21-2020 at 06:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop