The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-24-2020, 01:41 PM

Default Wierd D string sounds

I just purchased a classical guitar online - not too many options locally other than cordoba - so I decided to take a shot online..

unfortunately this guitar is making a very odd noise on the D string - it sounds like a rattling - but also like a chorus/flanging effect on the 2-7 frets.

It doesnt sound like a fret buzz to me. But I never really experienced a fret buzz on nylon (only on steel) before so im wonderig if that is what I am hearing.

Thinking of returning it and looking elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:01 PM

Try one thing, loosen the string, untie it from the tieblock, and then twist it three to four times in the same direction as the winding, in order to tighten the winding, then retune. It's not an easy thing to do, reattaching the string while maintaining the twist. At the tieblock end I suggest finding a bead of a sort, tying the untensioned string end to it, make the twist, and tune up.

If it clears up, then it was an anomoly that occasionally shows up on a D string that apparently has a looser winding than the A and E strings.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:06 PM

Think I found the issue.

I small piece of the string was sitting on the sound board, somehow only certain notes would make it vibrate on the top..

Wierd but I think its fixed!
Old 01-24-2020, 11:02 PM

That happens a lot to me, but can't remember if there's necessarily a particular string that triggers the noise. Just as many times the string ends that touch the top behave themselves.

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 01-25-2020 at 12:37 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical