The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-17-2021, 02:23 PM

Default Right hand fingerstyle hand locks up

My right hand gets stiff and unusable after a while (30 mins) trying to practice fingerstyle. I'm using 4 fingers (no pinky). I don't plant my pinky on the guitar, it feels weird to do that. I'm maybe an intermediate player. Am I just holding my hand too stiff?
~Bob
Old 02-17-2021, 03:12 PM

Bob,
We are all made differently. Ive made a good portion of my living with my hands. Fingerstyle was out right painfull for me for many months. Planting my pinky is impossible as it causes great pain still. I have come a long ways. I still have a ways to go.. If I dont take my time to warm up nice and slow after a nice stretch I wont last 5 minutes before im forced to stop.

Assuming its not nutrient, hydration or conditioning related you should go see a doctor. You have to figure out what kind of pain you have. If its joint related try Elixinol's Daly Balance Tincture for a week and see if it helps. It has revolutionized my playing and joint comfort in total.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you use the natural or the mint?
~Bob
Old 02-17-2021, 04:07 PM

Hi Bob,

What kind of fingerstyle? Have a look at how your planting your fingers, to give each technique a stable base. In general, if you’re using fingers ima, you’ll want to plant your thumb and vice versa, on the guitar top or a string.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Hi Bob,

What kind of fingerstyle? Have a look at how your planting your fingers, to give each technique a stable base. In general, if you’re using fingers ima, you’ll want to plant your thumb and vice versa, on the guitar top or a string.
I'm not sure how to answer, "What kind of fingerstyle?" Not country picking or Travis. Thumb is on the 6th string most of the time unless I need it elsewhere. I don't plant anything on the guitar top. I sometimes play using all 5 fingers. But that doesn't bother me, then the thumb is firmly planted on 5th or 6th strings. It's only when I'm using 4 fingers: thumb, index, middle and ring. Pinky just sits in the air. Maybe that's a clue.
~Bob
Old 02-17-2021, 04:47 PM

It's hard to say. There are different picking styles; I use several, but I have very few compositions where I need (or would want to) plant a finger of palm.

I stopped planting my pinky 20+ years ago at the suggestion of a classical guitar player, and I've been very satisfied with the results. I do constantly alter my picking angle, the angle and the rotation of my wrist, and my picking position--all depending on the piece.

I also do hand and finger stretching exercises.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
It's hard to say. There are different picking styles; I use several, but I have very few compositions where I need (or would want to) plant a finger of palm.

I stopped planting my pinky 20+ years ago at the suggestion of a classical guitar player, and I've been very satisfied with the results. I do constantly alter my picking angle, the angle and the rotation of my wrist, and my picking position--all depending on the piece.

I also do hand and finger stretching exercises.
I do hand and finger exercises too. I managed to ward off carpal tunnel syndrome; computer programmer - 30 years. Maybe I'm just stiffening up as I play? I also play piano and can play for hours without pain or tightening up.
~Bob
Old 02-17-2021, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

There is also something called musicians dystonia that I only became aware of a couple of years ago. I noticed a cramping in one specific finger after playing for a couple of hours, and only hit on this possible cause after eliminating others. Worth looking into.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
There is also something called musicians dystonia that I only became aware of a couple of years ago. I noticed a cramping in one specific finger after playing for a couple of hours, and only hit on this possible cause after eliminating others. Worth looking into.
Thanks! I found this article and will delve deeper:

https://www.discovermagazine.com/min...th-a-change-of

~Bob
Old 02-17-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
My right hand gets stiff and unusable after a while (30 mins) trying to practice fingerstyle. I'm using 4 fingers (no pinky). I don't plant my pinky on the guitar, it feels weird to do that. I'm maybe an intermediate player. Am I just holding my hand too stiff?
~Bob
Maybe you're pinching a nerve or cutting blood supply or something like that by resting your arm on the top of a big guitar?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Maybe you're pinching a nerve or cutting blood supply or something like that by resting your arm on the top of a big guitar?
It happens mostly while playing my Taylor GS Mini. I also think I have a pinched nerve in my neck too. Geeze, I'm a wreck. Sucks to get old...
~Bob
Old 02-17-2021, 11:00 PM

Bob,

I would avoid self-diagnosis or follow advice from a forum for this kind of issue. Just go see a doctor as you were initially recommended.

Ll.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you use the natural or the mint?
~Bob
I buy the Mint. Its not unpleasant. The natural tastes like bong water Takes about 4-6 days to build up in your system and start working. In the name of clean living I stop taking it every few months for about 2 weeks and I see clear results.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
I buy the Mint. Its not unpleasant. The natural tastes like bong water Takes about 4-6 days to build up in your system and start working. In the name of clean living I stop taking it every few months for about 2 weeks and I see clear results.
Thanks for the info! I'll check it out.
~Bob
Old 02-19-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
~Bob
Hi ~Bob

Who knows? Given you can play piano for hours without the issue seems like it may provide insight.

Hope you find someone to watch you who has ability to spot something which will help you to resolve this.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write