The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-06-2021, 08:45 AM

Default Why are some of the most beautiful songs...

the simplest melodies and chord progressions?

I thought about this today as I was learning a new song today that is fairly simple to finger pick and remember due to its simplicity and repetition of a simple chord progression.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post

I thought about this today as I was learning a new song today that is fairly simple to finger pick and remember due to its simplicity and repetition of a simple chord progression.

Your thoughts?
Hi Cecil

Because simple playing and clear lyrics speaks to listeners, and complex playing (verging on acrobatic) excites players?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-06-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Cecil

Because simple playing and clear lyrics speaks to listeners, and complex playing (verging on acrobatic) excites players?

Old 02-06-2021, 09:06 AM

It's about the melody that speaks to listeners.

One amazing chord progressions I like has no lyrics/singing at all, Pachelbel Canon in D.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:29 AM

Some of the finest melodies are constructed over seemingly simple structures! Of course if you break them down harmonically then they can get quite complex but they’re not written with that in mind.

Two of my favourites are Neil Young: Unknown Legend and Hothouse Flowers: Christchurch Bells. Both are beautiful songs and both are written around 2 chords (G & C in both cases that is just coincidence).

Now that I think of it, isn’t Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles written around a drone tone and max 2 chords?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-06-2021, 09:36 AM

I think Larry has captured it well.

You are reminding me of a particular memory I have of playing with my best friend who recently passed away. He was a music major at Queens College. He was very knowledgeable. He was learning all about theory, harmony, and orchestration.

We would get together and play songs from "The Real Book." Some of those standards were very challenging. As players, we were drawn to those because we wanted to become better players.

One day we tried a much simpler piece. It is called; "Little B's Poem," by Bobby Hutcherson. We were stunned by the beauty of the melody and how perfectly the melody and chords complemented each other. We came to realize the beauty and elegance there can be in simplicity.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Your thoughts?
I think the melodies to Irish folksongs and tunes are among the most beautifull, but for the most part they were never written through chord progressions, accoustic guitar being not that great at interpreting tunes without some accompaniment means that we have to shoe horn them into some kind of harmonic structure , think of tunes like Londonderry air ( Danny Boy) Raglan Road, South Wind, Blackwater Side, The Parting Glass etc etc, beautifull tunes that when played on traditional instruments like pipes and fiddles really have no need of chords.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:58 PM

Because music is so powerful that you don't need a lot of it to get a significant effect.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-06-2021, 10:33 PM

Beautiful songs tend to be slower, and maybe quieter. Other than ornamentation notes, too many notes can get in the way. Elegant & simple are cornerstones.

I liken it to writing songs. Most always mine improve as I find ways to remove unnecessary words.

Remember, we're talking in broad generalities here.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:16 AM

OK, I guess I'm going to be a little contrarian here.

I think there are also plenty of beautiful songs that aren't particularly simple - especially harmonically. God Only Knows by the Beach Boys comes to mind. And a lot of Beatles songs are like that. Say, If I Fell, or Here There and Everywhere or Something for example (along with probably several dozen others).

I find that in general I'm more often drawn to songs that have a bit of harmonic interest and complexity. That really tickles my brain stem somehow - but not complexity for complexity's sake. The best ones still have that sense of elegance and you might not even notice how intriguing the harmonic structure is at first. Those are the one's that really turn me on.

I mean, I also absolute love plenty of songs that are very simple and elegant as mentioned in this thread. But for me it's not the simplicity really. It's just whether or not the song does something for me. And I find that sometimes songs that are simple harmonically do that, but probably more often, songs that have some intriguing harmonic complexity do it for me as well.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Your thoughts?
what I love about Pink Floyd wish you were here
is it starts out very simple and remains so yet adds layer upon layer so you can be a beginner or advanced yet enjoy hearing/learning it
Old 02-10-2021, 09:02 PM

I find simplicity in most things is the best. I love simple foods too. It lets you enjoy the flavors (or sounds) better, without being jumbled up in other crap.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

No doubt part of reason is.

Quote: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius—and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Ain't it the truth.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-11-2021, 01:36 PM

For me, there are certain songs that are beautiful not BECAUSE of their simplicity, but IN SPITE of it.

However, I find that the compositions that bring me to tears with their beauty have a fair amount of complexity:

Phil Keaggy - I Love You Lord
Steve Morse/Dixie Dregs - Night Meets Light
Ralph Vaughn Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Pat Metheny - First Circle

When I drill down and look at a simple beautiful song, I generally find that there are two possible elements involved: a powerful lyric and/or an uncommonly gorgeous melody. Often it is the combination.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-11-2021, 04:48 PM

Can't hear this without closing my eyes at some point. Happens every time

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write