The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-09-2002, 06:09 AM

Talking Starting lessons again

I desided to begin lessons again, found a traveling instructor who has been teaching foralmost 20 years, the last 10 as his only sorce of income so I thought he must be doing something right. We talked on the phone for almost an hour and seemed to hit it off. He will be here next Tuesday for lesson one.......
I keep seeing you guys talk about adding a "sus 4" here "sus 4" there, blah blah blah, and realized I had not a clue what was being said.
Maybe this guy can help me progress and actually learn whats going on with this thing called a guitar.

Last edited by Acoustics4ed; 05-09-2002 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:57 AM

I'm about to start again too. When you feel you can't progress any more on your own it's a good idea. Otherwise it could get boring and cause you not to play as much. I always need a chalenge.

814ce-LTD Brazilian
Old 05-09-2002, 02:03 PM
scegla

I'm probably going to follow in your footsteps. While I've memorized a ton or chords- 90% of which I can play proficiently, I've developed a number of bad habits along the way as well. What's worse for me is that I'm self-taught and cannot read music. Oh, I can look at a staff and eventually put it together, but "read," no. What I see in music is the equivalant of a kindergartner trying to sound out words. It's not from a lack of trying but with no teacher, I get frustrated and give up.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:34 AM

Smile

Taking lessons is a great way to study. I was very very fortunate because my parents allowed me to take lessons from a classical guitarist when I was 9 to 18. I'm 32 now and what I learned then is still the foundation of what I play today.

Good luck!!

Zack
Old 06-02-2002, 06:48 PM

I took two years of lessons as a teenager (I'm 34 now). It was just the basic learning to sight read and learning your the major and minor chords approach. From there, I spent 15 years just playing on my own, and didn't advance at all. I decided at age 30 to start back into lessons and have been going weekly ever since. My teacher (a lifetime professional with a degree from Berklee) is of the view that the worst thing you can do is learn to sight read before you can really play. Sight reading can make you a mechanical player. Better to focus on technique and theory. Now, three years in, I'm going back to sight reading, but only as one component of an overall approach.

Enjoy the lessons. Remember, if learning isn't fun, you're not going to practice, so keep it loose and focussed on what you want to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell