The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-11-2018, 12:29 AM

Default 12 string problem: Low E strings rattling against each other

Hello, I have a Breedlove 12 string that I purchased new a few months ago. I've taken very good care of it -- kept it in well-humidified room and away from extreme temperatures. Nonetheless, the low e strings have started to rattle and buzz against each other. When I pluck them individually, they sound clear, but struck simultaneously they're a buzzkill.

This is the guitar:

https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-...solo-12-string

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Wayne Bell; 11-11-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:18 AM

Wayne, do you have light or medium gauges strings on it, and are you tuned to concert pitch or a step lower? Also, do they buzz when plucked open, fretted or both?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb propsom View Post
Wayne, do you have light or medium gauges strings on it, and are you tuned to concert pitch or a step lower? Also, do they buzz when plucked open, fretted or both?
Thanks for your interest in my dilemma.

I'm using light gauge strings, and the guitar is tuned to standard pitch. I did de-tune all the strings a full step, and the buzzing persisted. The strings rattle against each other when played open or fretted, even at the 12th fret. The other five pairs of strings play fine.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM

Taylor installs light strings on their 12 string guitars so I’m guessing that would not be the problem. I would take your guitar to a Luthier for a setup.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM

The string spacing is set by the nut, at the head end of the string, and at the saddle, at the bridge end of the string. Generally, the string spacing at the nut is fixed and doesn't change, unless the nut slots are damaged or worn. I'd check for damage or wear to the two nut slots for the low E strings.

At the saddle, there isn't anything that provides a "hard" spacing of the strings as they pass over the saddle. Sometimes, there are grooves in the saddle due to wear. I'd check that the two strings are properly spaced as they break over the saddle. You can easily slide them one way or the other a little, if need be. That might provide the necessary distance between strings to eliminate the buzzing.

If neither or those help, it might be that the slots in the nut are too close together for those two strings. One or both slots can be filled and re-cut, if need be, or a new nut can be made - more work with 12 strings.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-12-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:03 PM

Thanks for all your informed responses. I'm too inexperienced and too dumb to fix it myself. Hopefully the store (not Guitar Center) I bought it from will help me. They've demonstrated good customer service to me in the past.

Have a great week.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Wayne, it's definitely a good idea to take it to a qualified repairperson. As Charles said, "More work with Twelve strings."

What puzzled me is that apparently the strings didn't rattle together when you originally bought the instrument. I've never seen a 12 where the courses of a string pair became closer together with use, but I guess that it's not impossible.

When I set up my instruments, I cut the slots of the high E pair 1/16" apart c-t-c, and the low E slots 3/32" c-t-c. Then, by using the Stew Mac nut & saddle spacing rule, I layout the other four courses.

I do have one other suggestion that you might try; take off the light gauge 11th & 12th strings (.047 & .042) and replace with medium gauge (.054 &.030). Of course the slot will have to be enlarged, but the increased tension (at concert pitch) might cure the problem. If not, you probably will need either a new nut or have the slots filled & recut.

Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair