The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-26-2016, 11:50 AM

Default How to fix the frets on an Alvarez

On my new Alvarez (Masterwork Series the call it... ) they did a poor job on the frets.
The ends of the frets are kind of sharp and so the feeling isn`t very comfortable as you can imagine... now, how can fix that? I only have files which are very big... would sand paper work? I don`t want to ruin the finish of the neck, you know...

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:12 PM

I would take it to a local tech and have them dress your frets - and have a set up done while there. It's likely that if they didn't finish your frets they left plenty of room for a good set up. OR your guitar is too dry and your fret ends are poking out. So check your humidity - OR read this -http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20662-guitar-shop-101-how-to-file-sharp-fret-ends
Old 05-26-2016, 12:18 PM

That's usually a sign of low humidity, have you checked that?
Sandpaper will work if you glue it to a stick, you need a stiff, flat surface to file the ends of the frets. A cheap set of jewelers files is what I use for fret dressing. Mask both sides of the fret with a couple of thicknesses of blue tape, and keep the file parallel to the fret, and be careful of the finish.
et al
Old 05-27-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
That's usually a sign of low humidity, have you checked that?
I think it's a sign that it's an import guitar. If humidity is low, I would dress the fret ends before raising the humidity.

There are several specialized tools for filing fret ends. In lieu of those, you can use sandpaper attached to a block, as Roger suggests. Start with 180 grit or so, and gradually change to finer grits. It's also a good idea to use a fine file to facet the ends so they feel smooth. Then follow up with 0000 steel wool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair