The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Help Wanted: Baggs Anthem Endpin Jack Issue

Hey, gang,

When it comes to troubleshooting pickups, amps, ground loops, etc., I'm admittedly lost. Piezo in hand, I come asking for help.

The Gibson AJ I just acquired came with a Baggs Anthem installed. Two things led me to pull it and turn the AJ into a purely acoustic guitar. First, with a fresh battery, I couldn't get a signal. Second, the Element piezo portion of the pickup was installed under a long (through) saddle. Not the best pickup system for this application. So I pulled it this afternoon.

With the system out of the guitar and the strap pin & nut off of the guitar, I did some troubleshooting. I found that when the cord was plugged in to the point that you'd get that satisfying "click" you normally get with an endpin jack, I got nothing. When I pulled the plug out a little more than an 8th of an inch, both the Tru-Mic and the Element were working.

Is there a fix here that would allow me to move the contacts further down the barrel so that they're properly oriented to engage the plug when it is fully seated? Spent some time on the Baggs forum looking for guidance, but came up empty. I'd like to put this into my J-35 or 000-15M, but want to get it properly working before I take the time to install it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 05-22-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:46 PM

Cut the wires, install another plug and solder it at this joint if needed to facilitate installation, cost would be around 3 dollars in parts

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 05-23-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 PM

The Anthem is an excellent pickup system. I would recommend contacting L.R. Baggs or an authorized dealer for replacement parts. Because that endpin jack plugs directly into the preamp, there's no need to cut/solder anything. Just a new jack and plug it in at the preamp.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Unfortunatley, I do not think a new endpin jack is going to resolve this problem.

IMO, the fault lies within the socket itself in the housing of the preamp, just like normal input jacks, they all get loose and bend.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 05-23-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to both of you for your input. I did end up calling L.R. Baggs yesterday and they've got all the goodies on their way out to me to reinstall this one in another guitar, including a new endpin assembly. If the new one doesn't work, it's off to the garage to see if I can find the old soldering iron.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
anthem, baggs, endpin, jack