The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 AM
happiness

Cool Mandolin lessons - I'm excited!

I've just booked my first lesson with a mandolin teacher, so wanted to share my excitement!

I've been playing mandolin on and off (mostly off, and therein lies the problem!) for quite a long time, and can play to a certain level (advanced beginner might be a good way to describe it) but I'm definitely rusty, and would like to get better at it. I've neglected my poor mandolins over the past three or four years to focus on my guitar playing, singing and songwriting!

My new teacher is an extremely talented mandolinist and I think he will turn out to be an excellent teacher too. I went to a very brief workshop that he did at a festival at the weekend, and learned some useful things even in that brief half hour. He seems to have a structured approach which I think will work well for me. I've started to work out some objectives to discuss with him, and am looking forward to my first lesson on Monday evening

Fliss
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Hey good for you! I'm even a little jealous; I never found a teacher locally. As it happens though, although I consider myself mostly a mando player, I've started taking guitar lessons. Finding a good teacher really is a great thing.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM
happiness

Thanks Yes, there don't seem to be many mandolin teachers around, at least near where I live. I know a lot of people manage to teach themselves, or to learn very well from books / videos etc, but I find I learn best with the help of a good teacher.

Fliss
Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 AM

Hope that it takes off for you this time...

even if it is one of those dwarven citterns
Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hope that it takes off for you this time...

even if it is one of those dwarven citterns
I'm not jealous, just 'cos yours has more strings...

Fliss

Last edited by Fliss; 02-16-2013 at 08:11 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments