The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM

Default NGD- My Dad's Old Dobro Squareneck

Today I am taking posession of my Dad's old 30's Dobro Model 27. My Mother recently passed away, and as the most serious guitarist in the family, my Brother and Sister wanted me to have it.
It's a squareneck, and he used to play Hawaiin music in the 40's, and then again in some groups in the 60's during the Tiki Bar craze.
I need to replace the tuner buttons, but it is crack free. I intend to study intently and learn some Nashville style slide. It will be a thrill to once again let the old Dobro come to life after 50 years in the closet. I hope that somewhere my Father will smile down on me. This is going to be a great day.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 AM

That sounds great. Nothing like owning a guitar with a history and sentimental value attached to it.

Pictures, please?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 PM

I inherited some Djembes and some Indian Naals (two sided congas) from my Dad. Playing them is very very special. Enjoy it.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Your father is smiling right now! Post pics if you can, we'd love to see them.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM

I don't know how to post pictures, but I do know how to email them if someone would be king enough to post them for me. I'm just a little too old to have learned the finer points of internet communication.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM

That is a wonderful story ajay! Coincidentally I have a 1930's Model 19 Dobro that was left to me by my father-in-law when he passed away several years ago. He played in 'hillbilly bands' in the mid to late '30's before he gave up music for a 40 year career as a coal miner. He was a man that I respected and admired as much as anyone I've ever known. Every time I pick up that guitar I think of him and smile.

I can imagine what special meaning that Model 27 of your Dad's has for you.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 PM

Yeah, great story. Both of your folks will be smiling at you.......You're going to love the dobro. You might try Troy's Dobro for lessons on the internet. Real reasonable and he speaks "everyday language" with his lessons. He is very accessible if you have questions. He has a great many lessons.
The dobro is not difficult to play. All those slide chords are a breeze, and all the pickup notes are all within a couple frets or so. You'll have blast. In case you're interested, here's Troy's lessons.........http://www.lessonswithtroy.com/dobro_lessons/

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments