The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM

Default Mohan Veena - 20 string lap slide guitar

Hey folks,
Thought I'd share my newly aquired Mohan Veena Indian slide guitar. Its got 7 playing strings and then 13 sympathetics underneath.

It was designed for Indian music obviously but works great for crossover stuff, even blues licks sound great played on this

If any of you guys can help me out, I'm trying to figure out how to get a pickup in this thing! It's got a real nice natural resonance so some kind of internal mic I think would sound best but I'm stuck for ideas!. . .

Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Contact Bob Brozman. He's very cool about answering. He's been touring with one of those for years. Here he is with one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDwKVOSc0PI
Old 04-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Yeah good call, I have noticed though that he often has his lap guitars mic'd up onstage (best option really) so I wonder wether he'd be able to offer any pickup advice?

I'm sure he will though being the musical genius that he is!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_sure_sir View Post
Yeah good call, I have noticed though that he often has his lap guitars mic'd up onstage (best option really) so I wonder wether he'd be able to offer any pickup advice?

I'm sure he will though being the musical genius that he is!
He's got a sunrise soundhole in his Bear Creek Kona Lap, and if you look closely he has chrome lace "slimline" humbuckers on his nickel National tricones. You have to be ready for anything when you travel the world. Your personal PA system might not make it on the flight. I bet he's got something rigged in that behemoth!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I bet he's got something rigged in that behemoth!

I'm sure you're right! I'll try getting in touch with him
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Hey folks,
Thought I'd share my newly aquired Mohan Veena Indian slide guitar. Its got 7 playing strings and then 13 sympathetics underneath.
that is a very cool instrument. i'm a fan of vishwa mohan bhatt (who i believe invented it and is its namesake), and also of harry manx.

can't help with the pickup, any time i've seen footage of mohan bhatt playing he used a mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ180Zd-cfw
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Yeah you're totally right mc1 he did invent it and Harry Manx can definitely be thanked for bringing the instrument to a wider audience

Have you heard the album Vishwa Mohan Bhatt did with Ry Cooder? "Meeting by the river" I think it's called. Well worth a listen
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 AM

Fascinating instrument. Someone put up a picture on another board of a Scandinavian "hardanger" fiddle with the same type of sympathetic strings arrangement run under the actual bridge.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM

If you get $500 worth of Desperate there's always the DPA 4099G. It's pricey but you can run it on any guitar.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/mic...tem&item=24343
Old 04-12-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
there's always the DPA 4099G. It's pricey but you can run it on any guitar.
Ah cool, anyone had any experience with these? $500 doesn't seem too bad if it's a top notch piece of kit.

I was prepared to spend at least £250 + (UK pounds) on a quality pickup and then have to pay a decent luthier to fix it in real good and drill in a jack socket etc.

As I heard someone say the other day 'buy nice or buy twice'!!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Ah cool, anyone had any experience with these? $500 doesn't seem too bad if it's a top notch piece of kit.

I was prepared to spend at least £250 + (UK pounds) on a quality pickup and then have to pay a decent luthier to fix it in real good and drill in a jack socket etc.

As I heard someone say the other day 'buy nice or buy twice'!!
They are quite good. I've used one on my Lap Hawaiian. plenty of reviews available online and on youtube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments