The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-06-2021, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

I tune by ear, then check octaves, involving all strings. Very easy in DADGAD. If I have time, I then check underlying chords in what I am about to play.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 02-09-2021, 03:00 PM

I use a tuner to get it 9/10 of the way there, then check the open G, E, D, C, and A major chords. I don't expect it to sound perfect on all of those, but it needs to sound at least passable on all of them. The most likely chord to be squirrelly after the initial tuning is A major, with the interval between the C# and top E sometimes a little too small. I'll then double-check the D octave (open D/3rd fret B) and the E octave (2nd fret D/open top E). Usually either the D octave is too wide (in which case I bring down the B string just slightly) or the E octave is too narrow (in which case I bring up the top E string just slightly). If I've brought down the B string, I need to re-check the C major to make sure the C-C octave is not now too narrow. If I've brought up the E string, I need to re-check the D major to make sure the D-F# third on top is not now too wide.

Geez, I should create a flow chart for this....but seriously, with a good guitar and reasonably fresh strings, it's usually fine after the tuner.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 02-09-2021, 09:21 PM

I do Cmaj x35453

Ll.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write