The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-21-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

When I was a flatpicker, way back when, I used to pinky plant for faster things. If slower stuff its better to float your hand as you'll get better tone.

Now that I play finger style I'll plant briefly from time to time.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Pinky planting = Pain-free playing

If I don't plant my pinky, I get shoulder pain from the very slight pull of the weight of my arm pulling on the shoulder socket (at least that's what seems to be happening). It's exacerbated if I strum.

The good news for me is that, having discovered this, I can now play larger guitars (I thought my shoulder problems were from guitar size).

I seem to have slightly double-jointed shoulders, and the extra freedom of movement is not a good thing.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:12 AM

If your initial learning is in a classical mode, you tend to not do anything with the pinky on the right hand, and your finger and hand position requires floating. At least mine does, when I hold the guitar in a classical playing position. My pinky often kind of rubs the guitar top, and if I am playing with a pick or just my thumb, a lot of fingers seem to get down there. If I am playing "Ed Bickert" style, I use all fingers to pluck strings, including Mr. Pinky. What I seem not to do is palm mute or bridge rest. Final thought - they seem to call a pick guard on an archtop guitar a "finger rest" now....
Old 01-25-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
No I float my hand. It's much more versatile for me. YMMV
So you never had an issue with coming back to the right string? Is that do to slow repetition at first until muscle memory sets in?

I've heard pros and cons to anchor points. I guess the con is it can limit your hand movement somewhat?

I originally learned finger picking and never had to use an anchor point for that but using a pick is a different story for me.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
This question is one of personal preference and there is no right nor wrong answer. If countless past experiences hold, then exactly 49% of the people will say you must anchor your pinky, 49% of the people will say must never anchor your pinky and 2% will ask for pizza.
If you don’t anchor your finger it’s easier to get the pizza to your mouth
Old 01-25-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
So you never had an issue with coming back to the right string? Is that do to slow repetition at first until muscle memory sets in?

I've heard pros and cons to anchor points. I guess the con is it can limit your hand movement somewhat?

I originally learned finger picking and never had to use an anchor point for that but using a pick is a different story for me.
I don’t anchor, but if you need to, go for it. getting back to the right strings is not an issue, never has been.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
I love that Molly clip, but she does anchor her wrist to the bridge during the lead parts, as she says.

In my case, you have nailed it, FF!
What are the two u shaped things attached to her guitar?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
What are the two u shaped things attached to her guitar?
Do you see the camera shot going up the neck towards the bridge?

Those U shaped things hold a camera.

HE
Old 01-27-2021, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Kind of like asking a golfer if he inhales or exhales on his backswing - once you start thinking about it, you’re screwed! If I think about I can’t play. But I’ve occasionally observed myself anchoring the edge of my hand on the bridge, just touching the top with my pinky, palm muting, and playing without touching anything. The only things that seem constant are anchoring my pinky when I’m playing electric lead, and never touching anything while strumming. But when I’m fingerpicking I just do what feels right and I try not to think about it.

-Ray
Old 01-27-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:

I changed from planting to floating twenty years ago and don't remember it being too difficult finding the strings, it just became natural. I also move my right hand around a lot, change attack angles, etc.

I also play different styles, so a perfect float is not the way I always play. I don't pay a lot of attention to my right hand, just let it do its thing for the piece I'm playing, but planting the pinky is pretty rare for me these days.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Do you see the camera shot going up the neck towards the bridge?

Those U shaped things hold a camera.

HE
I did not see that camera shot. Makes perfect sense.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write