The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-24-2002, 12:10 AM

Default Cross-tuned Mandolin - ?

On the Patty Loveless CD, "Mountain Soul", Ricky Skaggs is credited w/ playing "cross-tuned" mandolin - anybody know what this is? I know mandolins are tuned in 5ths like a violin, & I also know what cross-harping is for blues harmonica players (if I remember correctly, you use a harp that's a 4th above the key the song is in), but that's as much as I know - what does anybody else know about the mysterious cross-tuned mandolin? Also, I'd love to get a mandolin to fool around w/, should I take a risk on these Rogue brand mandolins that are in my Musician's Friend catalog (or the Fenders they have), or should I hold out for the Gibson in the 5G range?
Old 06-24-2002, 07:29 AM

Default re: mandolin

I have just started learning the mandolin. Interesting little instrument. I don't have any idea about "cross-tuning" but I have heard of a mando which is strung and tuned like a guitar but sounds like a mando. Don't know who makes em.

I was lucky enough to be "handed down" a nice '47 Gibson A4(blond) and have been trying to pick up some licks. I'm an old dog and new tricks are slow to sink in, if you get my drift.

There are several good mandos out there for reasonable prices. Ovation makes a pretty good acoustic/elec. that seem to be pretty popular.
Fender, Heritage, Kentucky, all are good ones, but IMO you can't beat the gold std. of Mandos, GIBSON.

bukwheat
'47 gibson A4
'82 ovation 1117
'94 gibson chet atkins arces
'99 gibson lp tv
'01 taylor 355ce ltd
Old 06-24-2002, 09:18 AM

I would love to hear more about the mando that is tuned like a guitar. I do children's music and they love to hear different sounds and instruments. Unfortunately, I don't have the time or probably the talent to learn them all. I am already trying banjo and dulcimer. If anyone knows more about this, let us know.

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell