The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-12-2002, 08:56 AM

Smile BMT-CH7-Triads-Part 4-a detour-Blues...Beatles...whatever...

a detour daddy?

...as opposed to the straight-line path we've been on?

that 'creating fingerstyle arrangements' thread is about to turn to stripping and rebuilding....and it's not even a creating fingerstyle arrangements nuts and bolts thread by the way....just theory into motion so the fretboard doesn't look so limited...

anyways...so is the triad thread (stripping and rebuilding...)...thought I'd temporarily detour...

english, english, english...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 06-12-2002, 09:01 AM

Smile Why are we going out of order here, daddy?????

something that falls under the umbrella of 'implied harmony'....

I don't know why we are going out of order....we'll leave this and then come back to it I suppose...come December or 2003 probably...

sort of way out of order...feel free to ask..

sort of....sort of...we never finished Walter Cronkite.......

whoops...

anyways...smooth connections....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 06-12-2002, 09:10 AM

Smile

out of order is fine if you can ask...

out of order is not fine if you can't ask....(such as in you pay for guitar lesson...don't know what to do until you can ask for clarification until next week)...

there is a difference...

anyways...too much coffee

this does have to do with triads...and building up your own voicings...and connecting the fretboard....

Dominant Seventh chords (the ones that have a plain old '7' in their name are constructed from the

Root, third, fifth, and lowered 7th of the major scale...

WWWWWWWWWWWhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyy are we going out of order?!??!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!!!

shhhhhhhhhhh........

for example....

C major scale is the notes C D E F G A B

and the C7 chord is found by following the formula R,3,5,b7

which in this case would be the notes C E G Bb

if you were to play any basic C7 chord you know...such as...

this one...x35353 you would see that it is just a collection of the notes C, E, G, and Bb....

con't
Old 06-12-2002, 09:20 AM

Smile Daddy...are you sure you cooked that hat to 165 degrees?

Ketchup!

distinguishing features......

out of order I know...bear with me..

look at the formula for a Maj7 chord (R,3,5,7)

which in the case of the C major scale gives us...

CMaj7 = C E G B or x35453 for example...

now look at the formula for a min7 chord (R,b3,5,b7)

Daddy, did we ever give the motivation for these formulas in the first place?????!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!

shhhhhhhhhh......

again that min7 chord formula with respect to the C Major scale yields...

Cmin7 = C Eb G Bb ...which could be played as

x35343

note that every one of the above chord forms includes the notes C and G.....

so.....
Old 06-12-2002, 09:32 AM

Smile building up voicings for more sophisticated blues

as you probably know...the most basic form of the blues is just a 12 bar progression using but three basic dominant seventh chords....I7, IV7, and V7....in the case of the key of C that would be...C7, F7, and G7...

Where the (*&^*&^^ are the Roman numerals coming from, daddy?

well anyways....you've got to understand dominant seventh chords inside and out if you're going to do anything with the blues....

going back to those chord formulas and the concept of stripping down and rebuilding the triads......

again...

C7 = C E G Bb

CMaj7 = C E G B

Cmin7 = C Eb G Bb

now, since all of those forms contain both the notes C and G....we can conclude that it is NOT the notes C and G that give those chords their characteristic sound....it's got to be the other notes in the chords....the 3rds and the 7ths that are the 'more important' notes in some sort of significant way....

now look at a basic C major triad...R 3 5 or C E G....

it's only 3 notes....now...like a caveman or cavewoman we could just turn it into a 4-note chord by plopping on a Bb.

Wonderful and yahoo.

but but but.....
Old 06-12-2002, 09:40 AM

Smile Ahhhh....daddy...apple newtons!

don't mess with my snacks...

fig newtons under an apple tree.....

honestly....

we can 'ditch' the C of our C major triad (remember....we want to add in a Bb.....but the C and the G aren't too important...)

we could lower the C of our C major triad to Bb....we already know how to play the triad...just drop that C down a whole step to get the note Bb

like this...

C major triad xxx 12 13 12 becomes

C7 chord (with no note C) xxx 12 11 12

now....

we could also ditch the note G....drop the G and find the Bb up a minor 3rd from the G

C major triad xxx 12 13 12 becomes

a different C7 chord (with no note G) as

xxx 15 13 12 or xxx310 down an octave...

bonk.....

strip and rebuild......

we instantly have twice as many dominant chords as triads....

two for one is nice....

of course there are many many more....
Old 06-12-2002, 09:42 AM

Smile Was that bonk an apple?

no, just bird poop...
Old 06-12-2002, 09:43 AM

Crows.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:07 PM

Question

testing?
Old 06-16-2002, 07:17 PM

Smile

ok daddy......if I follow...

we start with a known structure...we peek at what makes up the structure ....we can then consider and give attention to any element of the structure...and rebuild to the same or a new structure?

well, there you go, generally....and if you've got structure TO structure?

aha!

you've got chocholate on your shirt....
Old 06-16-2002, 07:26 PM

Smile

I think you can't type when you're drunk, daddy....

ok...

tired...

I'm tired, too...

just plop out stuff.....the old I - I7 - IV - IVm four beats each progression.....anticipate by half beat...

which would be C - C7 - F - Fm?

right....

still don't know why we're going out of order....but..I'm game...

C xxx 12 13 12 to

C7 as xxx 12 11 12 to

F as xxx 10 10 8 to

Fm as xxx 10 9 8 and then back to

C as xxx988?

that'll work...now what.......
Old 06-16-2002, 07:38 PM

Smile

now what we've got is a bigger pot of veggies......not sure that is helpful...but they smell good...I mean sound good...so we'll temorarily stay in the kitchen.....

let's just stay with the 'change C into C7 by dropping the root a whole step' (dropping the note C to Bb) thing...yes I do remember I could change C to C7 by raising the 5th to the b7 (raising the note G to Bb)

from this C triad xxx988 I could drop C to Bb and get

C7 as xxx986 to

F as xxx565 to

Fminor as xxx564 to

C as xxx553 this time.

still doing whole notes off the beat?

yupper....
Old 06-16-2002, 07:43 PM

Smile

and from there?

well, I could drop the C to Bb again.....

C as xxx553 to

C7 as xxx353 to

F as xxx211 to

Fminor as xxx111 to

C as xxx010

very nice.....and???????

and everyone of those C7's could have been played differently on the string set 3-2-1....I could have raised the 5th to the b7 for any of the C triads...

do....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell