The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-05-2018, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Refretting profile ??

Hi, related to my concerns about my Collings guitars,

When a guitar is refretted, should the "apex" of the fret be a gentle "pillow" shape or should it be a sharper rounded point?

Is this different for acoustics as opposed to electrics etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:14 AM

Anything you want, a lot of times it has to do with the shape of the file the person is using, I say this as more people tend to use specifically made crowning files rather than standard three corner files.

Pillow shaped frets are very typical of a crowning file having been used.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-05-2018, 06:39 AM

Depends on the fret wire used too. New Jersey luthier and engineer Phil Petillo designed a fret wire that is more triangular shaped with a sharper point than most, and a harder compound. Not many folks particularly like the feel, however I do.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Depends on the fret wire used too. New Jersey luthier and engineer Phil Petillo designed a fret wire that is more triangular shaped with a sharper point than most, and a harder compound. Not many folks particularly like the feel, however I do.
+1.

If it was good enough for Glen Campbell it's good enough for me. That's how the frets on my personal instruments are shaped. They do require a bit of ongoing maintenance, but the improvement in feel and intonation is worth it.

Most standard fretwire gauges have a fret height to fret width ratio of 1:2, which makes the angle on a Petillo shaped fret 45 degrees (for all practical purposes) .

I have always been convinced that the ultimate fret playability would actually be achieved with a height:width ratio of around 1:4. However, it is unlikely that any manufacturer is ever going to produce a fretwire like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair