The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-04-2002, 11:09 AM

Default Fingerpicking Video/CD

Reading a book fine, but, having a video or CD to "watch" the technique would be valueable. Anyone want to suggest any?
Old 04-04-2002, 12:06 PM

Thumbs up Check out Grossman's videos

I'm using his Fingerpicking Guitar Techniques video right now. It's a bit basic for me, but for a beginner who knows the basic chords, it's very good. He spends a lot of time explaining the various positions for the left hand, and the TAB booklet is clear and complete. I like it, and plan on getting the follow up video. Make sure you sign up for his email updates, as he occasionally sends out discount offers to folks on his email list.

The videos are not cheap ($40), but considering you will learn 4-5 songs and receive detailed instruction with accurate TAB, it's not a bad deal. Plus, the videos have vintage footage of some of the blues greats (Rev Davis, Eliz. Cotten, etc.).

One thing I do not like is Grossman's comments about the right hand (e.g., placing the pinky on the soundboard, using two fingers only, etc). I prefer a more classical approach with the right hand, having 4 fingers at my disposal. But, he sounds very good while playing. Different strokes...

His website has sample portions of his videos. Check 'em out.

http://guitarvideos.com/

One thing Grossman does not cover is how to practice (he only covers how to play, and there is a difference). If you want to learn how to practice efficiently and correctly, then you need to use this book:

http://www.guitarprinciples.com

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 06-02-2002, 10:48 AM

Default Fingerpicking Video

Check out Laurence Juber videos ( standard & DADGAD). I have learned so much from them. They come with tab sheets and you can order them on Acoustic Music Resource site. They are well worth the price. Any of his CDs are great to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell