The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-27-2016, 12:25 PM

That being the case - you will probably find more benefit in shaving the back braces than the top bracing. I know it sounds backwards... But it works better than you would think. I have had a couple guitars that responded much more strongly to back brace shaving than top brace shaving.

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:58 PM

What John said. Sometimes the best way to bring up the bass end is to loosen up the back a bit. The confusion about your tap tone pitches is't helping here, but if the back tap is much higher in pitch that the top tap when you've got the sound hole plugged, shaving back braces will probably lower the 'main air' resonant pitch, and add some power in the low end. It's not structurally as risky as shaving the top braces.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Nice video - I think it sounds great. As others have said, let it play in for a while.

You might also try different strings and/or different gauges. I have a guitar that sounds radically depending on what strings are on it. There are certainly folks here who are more experienced than me, but changing strings seems easier than shaving braces.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair