The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-26-2016, 11:06 AM

The 0 14 fret is really that long? Darn. In terms of width dimensions, it isn't that far off from what you have there... but I guess the curves on the 0 are a bit different and lend to the longer body and scale. I still wonder if it'd work though.

Anyway, that body size you have there is more of less what I'm looking to create. It's a bit wider and a bit longer then the exact scaled down version of the 000 but that is just a template/idea anyway. It looks like, more or less, I'd want:

Length: 17.5"
Upper Bout: 10"
Waist: 8" or 8.5"
Lower Bout: 13.5" or 14"

I think the length must be below 18" for the bridge to be placed well on the lower bout. I also think that increasing the lower bout size to 14" and waist to 8.5" might be a good idea. I don't think the upper bout needs to be changed... maybe bring it up to 10.25" or 10.5".

I do wish the 0 size was right length... fixes needing to customize anything. But i'll have to see.

I would likely keep with the Martin style X bracing though. I'd probably want it shifted forward to increase bass (plus might help with shorter scale and bridge being a bit further up than usual).

Anyway, I appreciate the help and that guitar pattern was very helpful.

To JonWint: the Little Martin is a bit smaller than what I want but the idea is the same. While I suppose the 23" scale on the Little Martin 15.75" body has the bridge at the "sweet spot" I think a slightly larger size that 90% of the 000 dictates would be better and still have the bridge in a good enough spot. I was hopeful the single 0 sizing would work but it might be a bit long. I still am considering it since I imagine the scale length will still work. But I will have to ask around and see.

Thanks for all this help!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.acoustic View Post

Anyway, that body size you have there is more of less what I'm looking to create. It's a bit wider and a bit longer then the exact scaled down version of the 000 but that is just a template/idea anyway. It looks like, more or less, I'd want:

Length: 17.5"
Upper Bout: 10"
Waist: 8" or 8.5"
Lower Bout: 13.5" or 14"
!
You do realize that the guitar and pattern I posted is exactly the basic dimensions you specified within 1/4"

You could push the sound hole down 1/2" and get 18 frets instead of 17... Doing it with an X brace scheme and pin bridge instead of ladder bracing and tailpiece would be trivial.

But that's the guitar you are asking for in real life.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:02 PM

Yes, I know. I actually was reading those off essentially from your measurements.

I think even the Little Martin has 20 frets so perhaps there is a decent amount of room to move the hole down? I will have to look around for soundhole placement on the 000, 00, 0 shapes to get an idea.

I hope that the X bracing would be trivial! Although I'm sure it's all gonna be tough, ha.

I think what's really going to be important for me is to ensure the top is fairly thin and the bracing is also thin (1/4") and scalloped. The smaller soundboard will need the more responsive top for volume and bass.

It seems "thin" for 000 and D sized guitars is about .105" or so from Martin. I was reading a long article (http://www.esomogyi.com/top_thickness.pdf) by Somogyi and it seems like you can even get down to 3/32 which is 0.09375". He also calculated out how much more thin a smaller guitar would need to be. It was interesting stuff. I'm definitely think for such a smaller guitar going with .1" or even .09 in thickness would be good. I also was hoping to use Engelmann which is a bit softer so I'm hoping all this together will make for a really nice sounding instrument.

Anyway, again, thank you for this help. I have been reaching out and searching about kits and other ways to get what I need to build this. I'm considering some "local" classes that maybe could help.

I definitely can't wait to make it a reality.

The next stop after that might be an electric! But first things first, lol.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.acoustic View Post
It seems "thin" for 000 and D sized guitars is about .105" or so from Martin. I was reading a long article (http://www.esomogyi.com/top_thickness.pdf) by Somogyi and it seems like you can even get down to 3/32 which is 0.09375". He also calculated out how much more thin a smaller guitar would need to be. It was interesting stuff. I'm definitely think for such a smaller guitar going with .1" or even .09 in thickness would be good. I also was hoping to use Engelmann which is a bit softer so I'm hoping all this together will make for a really nice sounding instrument.
You need to measure the stiffness of the piece of wood you're using for the top, and determine the thickness based on the stiffness.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair