The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 PM

Default Replacement Tuner Advice

I have a 1974 Guild D-40. I had the original beat up tuners replaced with Grovers which constantly slip. This is a majoy annoyance. What are some very precise tuners that would fit this guitar and be consistent with the overall design of the guitar. They don't necessarily have to be vintage accurate, but should fit aesthetically. The Grovers look nice, but function is more important to me.

DAVE
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 AM

the TUNERS slip or the strings slip on the tuners?

If it really IS the tuners then take them back to the retailer and get a refund as they are faulty, but a whole set of individual tuners ALL faulty?

I suspect not.

look at frets.com for the loop under method of attachingn strings and make sure the strings aren't binding in the nut.

I've NEVER come across a guitar with sealed tuners that NEEDED replaced.

I once wasted a fortune on a set of schaller locking tuners on a strat that needed some graphite ground into the nut.

I swapped out the tuners again and fixed the nut issue and all was well.

thankfully I bought the schallers 2nd hand off eBay so was able to recoup most of my outlay
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinedwards View Post
the TUNERS slip or the strings slip on the tuners?

If it really IS the tuners then take them back to the retailer and get a refund as they are faulty, but a whole set of individual tuners ALL faulty?

I suspect not.

look at frets.com for the loop under method of attachingn strings and make sure the strings aren't binding in the nut.

I've NEVER come across a guitar with sealed tuners that NEEDED replaced.

I once wasted a fortune on a set of schaller locking tuners on a strat that needed some graphite ground into the nut.

I swapped out the tuners again and fixed the nut issue and all was well.

thankfully I bought the schallers 2nd hand off eBay so was able to recoup most of my outlay
Martin--

Thank you. You know exactly what you're talking about. Yesterday I put a new set of strings on using the method you refer to. I had all along checked the post nuts and button screws, tightening when necessary. I'd also used graphite and nut lube in the nut slots. But... just like you said it is markedly improved how well it stays in tune now, and it's all due to the manner in which the strings are installed. I am so happy now. I watched a video on the Guild Forum, "Let's Talk Guild". Seat the ball ends by a quick yank till they click. Pull each string tight toward the nut and cut at the next higher post. For the D just imagine a post above it to cut at the correct length. The one exception is the G because it has the smallest core of the wound strings so it is cut a little longer. Keep tension with the other hand just below the nut as you wind the tuning key. Tune roughly to pitch. Stretch and retune. They settled over night needing one adjustment this morning and are stable now.

Ignorantly, I had been winding each string first with one wrap on top and the rest below thinking it would lock the string and prevent slipping, but ironically the opposite was the result. What a relief!

DAVE
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncognito1 View Post
Martin--

Thank you. You know exactly what you're talking about. Yesterday I put a new set of strings on using the method you refer to. I had all along checked the post nuts and button screws, tightening when necessary. I'd also used graphite and nut lube in the nut slots. But... just like you said it is markedly improved how well it stays in tune now, and it's all due to the manner in which the strings are installed. I am so happy now. I watched a video on the Guild Forum, "Let's Talk Guild". Seat the ball ends by a quick yank till they click. Pull each string tight toward the nut and cut at the next higher post. For the D just imagine a post above it to cut at the correct length. The one exception is the G because it has the smallest core of the wound strings so it is cut a little longer. Keep tension with the other hand just below the nut as you wind the tuning key. Tune roughly to pitch. Stretch and retune. They settled over night needing one adjustment this morning and are stable now.

Ignorantly, I had been winding each string first with one wrap on top and the rest below thinking it would lock the string and prevent slipping, but ironically the opposite was the result. What a relief!

DAVE
Don't cut the strings until after you have them up to pitch, that's part of your problem right there, If you cut them before hand. the winding can unwind a bit and your tone and intonation go to pot. Also, one winding on top, the rest on the bottom is perfectly acceptable and does lock to a degree, I used that method for five years without any problems. Lastly, don't be afraid to pull those strings to stretch them out, don't yank on them, but pull and rotate your hand a bit, I do this twice to every string when I change them, and I have no more issues with the strings stretching after that.

That's a good way of stringing, it's a positive locking system that will not slip.
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM

Ironman187--

Thanks for your comments. I tried three times to access the fretnotguitarrepair link you posted, but got a message back
that the website cannot be found.

DAVE
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncognito1 View Post
Ironman187--

Thanks for your comments. I tried three times to access the fretnotguitarrepair link you posted, but got a message back
that the website cannot be found.

DAVE
Keep trying - it worked for me first time!
Old 02-12-2010, 04:42 AM

worked 1st time for me too.

this is the ONLY way (IMHO) to wrap strings.

my low E usually has less than a full turn on the spindle and they NEVER slip
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM

I did finally get to see the video, thanks. The next string change I will wait until everything is tuned to pitch, stretched, and tuned to pitch again before I cut the strings.

DAVE
Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I always do a minimum of three wraps. Too many wraps isn't great with the wound strings either. I always cut after bringing the strings to pitch.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair