The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertonebetty View Post
So i have been suffering the new guitar bug for a wile now and its just not going away. I have been to the music shop a few times and tried a bunch of guitars . A range of washburns ,gibson ,taylor,martin ,yamaha and seagull. Prices from $600,$900,$1700,$2500,$4500 . Mind you i could never afford a "4500 guitar. The most a disappointing guitar was the martin hd28 then the taylor 814cedxl. The gibson was nice but what really stood out was a $600 wasburn . But the killer was the martin gpcrsg? . I dont know but im hooked on that martin. Tomorrow i will have aprox $600 saved so it won't be for a bit but thankfully working my hours makes rent dirt cheap aprox $40-$100 depending on how much i work. Gotta love a part time job. So what do you guys plan to buy this year
Ive got the Eastman bug,. Bought the base model PCH-1 GACE and now id like to try an all solid AC222 or 322 probably will by mid summer
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM

No GAS really.

I might get a stool to sit on while playing at some point.

I might get an electric for recording purposes, but if I do it'll be some cheapo Strat copy I pick up at a pawn shop for $50 and fix up or something. I really need it as a noisemaker to produce sounds to be processed rather than as a "guitar" per se.

I'm not jonesing for either of these things, or any other possessions, musical or otherwise. But it I find one of the above at the right time/right price, maybe...

- John Shedd
Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Since it's humidifier season, I'm gassing for a CF guitar, preferably a 000/OM. None around Detroit that I know of, so a trip to Elderly might be in order.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
So i have been suffering the new guitar bug for a wile now and its just not going away. I have been to the music shop a few times and tried a bunch of guitars . A range of washburns ,gibson ,taylor,martin ,yamaha and seagull. Prices from $600,$900,$1700,$2500,$4500 . Mind you i could never afford a "4500 guitar. The most a disappointing guitar was the martin hd28 then the taylor 814cedxl. The gibson was nice but what really stood out was a $600 wasburn . But the killer was the martin gpcrsg? . I dont know but im hooked on that martin. Tomorrow i will have aprox $600 saved so it won't be for a bit but thankfully working my hours makes rent dirt cheap aprox $40-$100 depending on how much i work. Gotta love a part time job. So what do you guys plan to buy this year
What grabbed your attention regarding the Washburn?
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
What grabbed your attention regarding the Washburn?
The armrest on it. Was really comfy and smaller body size. Playability could be a bit better. Nothing a setup wouldn't fix. It sounded amazing for the price . Only downside is the only dealer around here is the local pawnshop with a 30day warranty
Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 AM

I keep finding myself looking at ads for D-18's and D-21's, but I can't really afford to GAS for anything this year as I'm waiting on a Pre*War Guitars Co. 000-18 come late summer-ish, so I need to behave!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I think I need a Gibson in my collection. I think some variation of a SJ-200.

But at this moment I've got my eye out for an '80s Bach Stradivarius model 37 trumpet. I've got a '73 model, but one of my student's dads has and 80's model that it just a dream and puts mine to shame. I'd break in and steal it if I were that kind of guy. So short of stealing it I'm going to look for one that plays like it and snatch it should it appear.
Ha! I thought I recognized your handle. That '73 should play better than anything made in the 80's. Get an alignment and maybe look at a different leadpipe.

Man, are we off topic!

With trumpet, I never had much GAS. I got what I liked an played it for 30+ years. With guitar, it's a different story. I'm relatively new to guitar, but I can see myself winding up with a large collection. I too am Jonesing for a Gibson.

So, to ease the stress on the budget, I'm thinking about listing some of the stuff I've collected over the years, including about 25 trumpet mouthpieces and an old Conny 36B.

After Gibson, maybe a D-18...

John
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Guest 728

As I turn 59 this month, I've decided to reward myself next year with a 60th birthday guitar -- most likely a National steel-bodied resonator. Planning this far ahead will give me time to save up!

Last edited by Guest 728; 01-09-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 AM

Default What are you gassing for?

• Martin "reimagined" themselves off my GAS list permanently as far as new instruments are concerned...
  • I love the J-15, but given recent events at Gibson I'm taking a wait-&-see attitude...
  • I'll wait for the V-Class bracing to trickle down (and the Grand Pacific to start appearing in stores) before moving on a Taylor...
  • Nobody within easy reach has USA Guilds in stock, and in view of their history over the last twenty years I want a hands-on first...
  • Got two nice Rainsongs already...
  • Not really after a "boutique" guitar - I'd sooner pay comparable money for a top-condition genuine vintage piece rather than a re-creation, and I'm not a fan of the new-paradigm stuff...
  • Landed a NOS double-cut White Falcon last June after GASsing for 55 years...
  • Could use a nice carved 17"/18" archtop, but I'm holding out for the right birth-year guitar so that's not happening any time soon...
  • Got a line on a major-brand decade-old NOS amp, hiding in plain sight here in the NY/NJ/CT Tri-State area - playing a whole lot more electric these days, so that may be next if I can hammer the price down a bit...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 01-09-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:49 AM

I'm gassing for a D-18 custom that is specked similar to the Outlaw. It was at this really cool shop last month and we went the other day and it's still there. They said they'd drop the price some more but I still can't afford it right now. Not horribly high but twice what I paid for my standard d-18 on the secondary market.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM

I have never planned a guitar purchase in my life. They just tend to show up. While I still am curious about what I can pull out of this or that guitar there is no specific year, make or model of guitar that gets me running for the drool bucket. The only guitar related activity I have planned that will separate me from my money is to finally get around to having my early-1930s Oscar Schmidt-made Jumbo restored. Rare as all get out and it remains my favorite ladder braced guitar.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The armrest on it. Was really comfy and smaller body size. Playability could be a bit better. Nothing a setup wouldn't fix. It sounded amazing for the price . Only downside is the only dealer around here is the local pawnshop with a 30day warranty
If it's a new Washburn, Washburn corporate provides excellent customer support. I had a defect with a Washburn I bought online. Took it to my local GC who handled the entire warranty exchanged. Washburn customer support sent me a brand new guitar (actually an upgraded model).
Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I've had that Martin mutenye RS for about a year and a half and it really has matured nicely. It always sounded great but it's really opened up. At first, I described the color as ''a girl's blonde hair blowing in the wind'', now it's like ash blonde and the top is just as much darker.

At that time SA and GC had it for $1300. I got it for just a touch over 1100 from Maury's Music, a forum sponsor. Recently someone posted here that they got one from GC for 999. You can do better than that listed price, even if you have to drive to the US to get it. Maury's, and most sponsors, offer free shipping. What if you offered to pay shipping and some extra for the hassle. You'd still be way ahead.

(when I got my GPRSG, I tried four of them in four different stores and they were very consistent)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I've played a few of the Martin's that the op is gassing for, nice guitar!

I'm not officially gassing for one, but test driving a Lowden or a Furch cedar/walnut in a few years is attractive. I may need a retirement present in a couple,3 years.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-09-2019, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I absolutely love Martin 15-series.

I've had six (five different guitar, one twice).

Most were great but the specs weren't quite what I loved.

Well, I just stumbled across a brand new batch of Martin Custom Shop versions that, coincidentally, have every single spec I want in a guitar. I tried spec-ing one out directly and the cost was exorbitant (and outrageous).

These are half as much, then on sale and I was able to get an additional discount.

I am right on the edge of pulling the trigger (figuring this will mostly hold some value so I can always resell it). I just wish my old extra electric would sell so I feel less pressure about an impulse guitar buy.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion