The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-06-2017, 10:09 PM

I just got my first archtop the other day as well... A 1995ish Yamaha AEX 1500. 25.4 inch scale iirc.

It came with th e D'Adarrio Chrome 12-52 flats as the store recommended . A bit dull sounding acoustically for my flattop ear... But they sound great amped up and am liking the smooth feel of them.

I started playing through my Fishman Mini as you did... I thought it sounded pretty good as well.

Well. i was wrong.

Because then tried it with my 1972 Fender Bandmaster reverb with its vintage JBL speaker cab. That was better.

Then I dug through my storage room for my late 70s Musicman RP65 112. That be the amp of all time for this guitar! Beautiful woody tone with a bit of bluesy smear and glow... Great dynamics. Warm and smooth. Yummy
.. I knew I kept this amp for a reason!

I have yet to give my Peavey Heritage VTX a whirl. It was Peaveys take on the MusicMan concept and has always been near or at the top of my guitar amp collection for gorgeous clean tones. I paid 100 bucks for it... The MMs run about 500... The old Fender combos 1000. I have prefered the Peavey in most cases except for the weight.

Cant go back to the Fishman... Except for possibly when I use tbe piezo equipped bridge that comes with this model.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 11-06-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the great info !! I will just have to drool over your amp list
The Fishman mini will have to do for now, but will start saving up and looking for a tube amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
I just got my first archtop the other day as well... A 1995ish Yamaha AEX 1500. 25.4 inch scale iirc.

It came with th e D'Adarrio Chrome 12-52 flats as the store recommended . A bit dull sounding acoustically for my flattop ear... But they sound great amped up and am liking the smooth feel of them.

I started playing through my Fishman Mini as you did... I thought it sounded pretty good as well.

Well. i was wrong.

Because then tried it with my 1972 Fender Bandmaster reverb with its vintage JBL speaker cab. That was better.

Then I dug through my storage room for my late 70s Musicman RP65 112. That be the amp of all time for this guitar! Beautiful woody tone with a bit of bluesy smear and glow... Great dynamics. Warm and smooth. Yummy
.. I knew I kept this amp for a reason!

I have yet to give my Peavey Heritage VTX a whirl. It was Peaveys take on the MusicMan concept and has always been near or at the top of my guitar amp collection for gorgeous clean tones. I paid 100 bucks for it... The MMs run about 500... The old Fender combos 1000. I have prefered the Peavey in most cases except for the weight.

Cant go back to the Fishman... Except for possibly when I use tbe piezo equipped bridge that comes with this model.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:56 PM

A/B ed the Peavey and the musicman tonight.

I could get the Peavey close to the tone of the music man... But it doesnt have that smeary glossy halo thing going on with the neck PU. Its got more of a hifi sterility that suits the piezo more but the magnetic PU less. If it weighed half it migh be the better compromise for the hybrid tones of the Yam.

So far the MM wins the Fender / PV / MM shootout. PV a close second.

Next up... A 200 buck early 80s Legend RocknRoll 50...these were top dollar boutique snob amps when they came out.. Great overdrive dynamics... Smooth and blues....

I have the Poor Mans strangest amp collection of the most underrated, least expensive, most unique amps of the past 40 years... Hahahaha.. ... The Legend is a very unique hybrid amp I have used for jamming and gigging on occassion. Always had guitar players come up and drool over this one.

I find the JBLs with the Fender just are not the right fit. A bit too HiFi.. Too much crispness from the aluminum cone and the closed back is causing a bit of lower mid boominess. I bought a plywood back panel to make a semi open back as an experiment but havent got my jigsaw and router out.

Last edited by Tommy_G; 11-09-2017 at 01:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops