The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-26-2002, 02:42 PM

Cadillac - Oh yeah...I would have to agree with that statement!
2000 Taylor Baby (office guitar)
2001 Yamaha APX9C
Old 06-26-2002, 07:33 PM

I think my first guitar was a Edmund ( something like that ). I received it while in college. One of my teammates on the golf team started teaching me chords. The one thing I did like about that cheap guitar was that it had low action. This help in the early stages of learning.
Then came along an Epiphone, which didn't last long. I traded it for a Gibson Electric guitar. It was fun for a little while, but I'm not into Electric guitars. So I said bye bye to that one.
My next choice was a nice Ovation, which at the time I thought really looked cool !!! I didn't know much about guitars and caring for them. I used to drag it all over the place, leaving it in the trunk. Well, before long you know what happens to guitars left out in the heat.
During this period, I met my wife and purchased an Applause electric/acoustic, so that I could play for her at church, when she would sing. I still have this guitar, but over time I was losing interest in playing. The sound just didn't inspire me. That was until just recently.
Within the last couple of months, I felt a burning desire to get back into playing guitar. But more importantly, to become a better player. I started looking at guitars in the $300.00 - $500.00 range. I saw a couple that looked alright, but just didn't get my juices flowing when I played them. Next, I looked at the Martin DM, because of the name and also because I was trying to keep the price down. But once again, I wasn't really satisfied with it. I started doing more research about various guitars, and I kept getting drawn toward Taylor guitars. But the price was above what I wanted to go. Finally, I went down and played one, and that was all it took. I was sold right there. Needless to say, I went above my so-called budget, and purchased a beautiful Taylor 310 guitar. I don't think I've quit smiling since.....

Sorry about the length but that's how I got here.

( @ )===:::
Old 06-27-2002, 08:01 AM
meridian

Default To Mark <><

Don't apologize for the length!

That's a real story! Stories are what we have to share. They are our own personal truth regarding our own personal journey. In the story of another we may find a truth about ourselves.

Thanks for a great story!
Old 06-27-2002, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco
I think meridian is really mapletrees in cognito !!!!

Ron

Can't be trees, Ron. Not enough elipses and his thoughts don't span 3-4-40 posts.

Meridian: if you don't know who trees is, you're missing out. He's contributed a HECK of a lot of important (imo) stuff to this forum. He mainly posts to the playing and technique board.

here's an excellent example of some of tree's posts:

http://209.197.232.179/forums/showth...0&pagenumber=1

Allan
Old 06-27-2002, 10:06 AM

I actually have two stories, so I'll post the other one here.

As noted below and elsewhere (many times!) I have a 615, and it's great, but sometimes a smaller guitar works better. Several years ago I toyed with the idea of trading in the old girl for a GA of some sort, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't swing a second good guitar, though, so I put it off.

Two years ago I discovered the Tacoma EM9, and it seemed to be just the thing -- clean, lively, responsive, and very affordable (under $600). I bought it and was very happy with it. About a year later, however, I happened on a plain 714, and it blew me away. I couldn't afford it, so I passed. About every month or two, I'd see another and it would dazzle as the last one did, but I still passed.

Then in March of this year I found an old stock 714 from 1999, and I still couldn't afford it, but it had that magical voice and the price was good, so I caved and stretched the plastic. I wondered for about a week if I had truly lost my mind, but every time I play that guitar, I know I made a good decision. I still have the EM9, but it's like ordinary steak compared to the filet mignon that is my 714.

Last edited by cpmusic; 06-27-2002 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 04:35 PM
meridian

Default hooo boy!

QUOTE:
Meridian: if you don't know who trees is, you're missing out. He's contributed a HECK of a lot of important (imo) stuff to this forum. He mainly posts to the playing and technique board.

(Quote Thingy won't work)
Old 06-27-2002, 04:36 PM
meridian

ain't no trees here....

no lawn gnomes....

no foolin'......

i don't know where he gets the energy
Old 06-30-2002, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Within the last couple of months, I felt a burning desire to get back into playing guitar. But more importantly, to become a better player. I started looking at guitars in the $300.00 - $500.00 range. I saw a couple that looked alright, but just didn't get my juices flowing when I played them. Next, I looked at the Martin DM, because of the name and also because I was trying to keep the price down. But once again, I wasn't really satisfied with it. I started doing more research about various guitars, and I kept getting drawn toward Taylor guitars. But the price was above what I wanted to go. Finally, I went down and played one, and that was all it took. I was sold right there. Needless to say, I went above my so-called budget, and purchased a beautiful Taylor 310 guitar. I don't think I've quit smiling since.....
Mark, I could've written this paragraph. Funny how many people in this forum have had the same experience! Feels good to be "back" (as a guitarist, that is).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification