The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Why doesn’t Rainsong....

Produce more pure acoustic models like the H-DR1100N2? I know that they can be ordered without factory electronics but still think that they should minimally produce the H-OM1100N2 as an off the rack possibility....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-10-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Like most manufacturers, they build what dealers will stock. Pretty sure RainSong will build you any model of their guitars without a pickup (your dealer would be able to verify that).

I hear the same thing about Taylors frequently... but sales prove out that the vast majority of people want them with a pickup.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:06 PM

I live pretty close to the factory, and I had to drop my guitar off for a nut replacement shortly after I got it (more my fault than theirs). Like most carbon fiber guitar factories, they are a really small operation. And even guitar stores that have a close relationship with them typically stock only one of each model they carry.

Doesn't really make sense for them to stock a pure acoustic when they only have wall space for one model and most people want a pickup pre-installed. And the choice is made by the dealer.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:20 PM

The beauty of carbon fiber guitars is they quite literally come out of the same mold, and the materials are consistent. So one guitar will be virtually the same as the next -- unlike those highly variable wooden guitars. If you like a Rainsong with a pickup system, feel free to indulge your tastes and have your dealer order the same instrument without electronics.

As has been covered by other posters, the dealers stock what actually sells, not what a minority of players might wish for. I'm not being critical here RP, since I share your desire to not be saddled with or pay for [eventually] outdated electronics -- unless I plan to gig with a particular guitar. Since I don't gig anymore, and have several instruments with pickups in them already, future purchases will be w/o electronics.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 AM

LA Guitar Sales had a CH-WS1100NS delivered to my house in PA in less than two weeks from placing the order and they did not have it in stock.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-11-2018, 11:07 AM

If you're at all leaning toward a pure acoustic, I'd say do it. I played a Shorty at a local dealer and loved it. But I didn't want the electronics. As I was ordering one pure acoustic, I found out that the 12-fret neck was an option for all RainSong body styles and models. I decided to get the Concert version because I preferred the abalone rosette and really wanted the shark inlays.

I was quoted a wait of 6-8 weeks. Had it in 2-1/2. Turnaround seems to be quick, and I have always been glad I ordered exactly what I wanted. And as Earl49 said above, given the great consistency of molds and materials, you can be confident that the one you order will feel and play just like the one in the store.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
....you can be confident that the one you order will feel and play just like the one in the store.
To elaborate a little on that, we bought our WS-1000 from Elderly Instruments in 2001. We had our choice of four WS's and two OM's in stock. Spending a couple of hours test driving, there was almost no discernible difference in tone. The only things we noticed were tiny differences in set-up and one of the guitars had a minor cosmetic flaw in one corner, where the CF fabric had a little visible (not feelable) wrinkle.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that my Rainsong, ordered with no electronics, took 7 weeks before I received it. I wonder if they are quicker filling an order today due to lower sales resulting from more competition.

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 06-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
I'm pretty sure that my Rainsong, ordered with no electronics, took 7 weeks before I received it. I wonder if they are quicker filling an order today due to lower sales resulting from more competition.
No doubt there are ebbs and flows with production schedules. I would be surprised if any CF manufacturers are finding a slowdown due to competition... seems to me that the market for CF continues to expand.

"A rising tide raises all ships."
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusknives View Post
I imagine the one I ordered came quickly because it is one of MF's best sellers and is one of the least expensive standard models. Probably more expensive models are in active production less often and will take longer to get one tagged for no PUP. Perhaps LA Guitar Sales has some leverage at RainSong too.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 06-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I ordered a WS1000 with a 12 fret neck and had it in 2 weeks. Hard for a dealer to increase inventory costs for a less desireable model when delivery is that fast.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:50 AM

You all should consider yourselves lucky Back in 2014 it took RainSong/ MacNichol 8 weeks to get me a Shorty SGA. Maybe it was just a busy year for them?

Regardless, no regrets. Love that guitar....and yes, many order factory direct from RS. They are "carbon copies" with no need to worry about missing out on a better sounding one like with wood guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber