The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
Hey Guys

I thought I would just drop in and say hello and maybe shed some light on the new models.

Alistair

Congrats on launching the new models, Alistair.

Tempted as I am by both the X10 (now that it seems to be more of an OO size, as AZLiberty noted) and the X30 (even though it seems to be more guitar than I can physically handle, bevels aside), the X20 still seems like it might well be the best fit for me.

Which is why I was tempted to buy an X20 Opus, but then it disappeared from the store. Maybe it's a sign I should be sensible and not buy anything. Or it might be a sign for me to get an X20 Artisan but, unlike with the new models, there's still no option to specify an X20 Artisan with a gig bag and no electronics, which is why the minimum possible price still remains above that of the new models.

So, my two questions, Alistair, are:

1) Do you plan to revamp the X20 and add an extended access cutaway? I'd hate to buy an X20 only to have that introduced soon.

2) Do you plan to offer the X20 with just a gig bag and without electronics? If not, you'd be penalising potential customers like me for whom the no frills X20 Opus ticked all the boxes. I actually love the look of black carbon fiber, don't need electronics or Gotoh 510 tuners, and don't need a hardcase for a rugged CF guitar. Then again, you've already said that your sales stats show that your customers are willing to spend more, so I guess I'm in the minority.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Alistair thanks for checking in here!

I am very interested in the X10 with all the extra gizmos... looks like a versatile workhorse that fits in well with my thin neck GX, Strat, and nylon Savoy.

The offset sound hole, however, is a deal breaker for me. Is the centered sound hole still available with the new model?

Also is the neck profile flat like the old X10 or more C shaped?

Any chance at a 25 inch scale length?
Old 06-01-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strumalot View Post

The offset sound hole, however, is a deal breaker for me. Is the centered sound hole still available with the new model?

Also is the neck profile flat like the old X10 or more C shaped?

Any chance at a 25 inch scale length?
Hi Strumalot, to each his own, and I think all kinds of neck profiles and scale lengths are available to custom order;
but I am surprised that the o/s soundhole would be the dealbreaker for you.

It has become kinda the Emerald “look” and as other Emerald owners can confirm it is very beautiful in person .
You will never drop another pick into that soundhole (if you somehow do, it is easy to retrieve)
AND you can actually carry the naked guitar around by it and it balances perfectly !
Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Long Jon, I have played/tested the X20 and some of the older X models (5, 7). I own an older X10 with a centered sound hole, so I am very familiar with the Emeralds. And for sure they are very artful instruments and I've always thought the X10 was close to perfection!

About the neck... coming off the thin neck GX or Strat my X10 feels flat and wide. Same thing compared to the Savoy which has the same 1.75 nut width as the X10. It's not a big deal ~ the X10 plays fine ~ but I wouldn't get another one with the same kind of neck. Having an X10 that was more congruous to the other guitars would be great!

About the OS sound hole... I don't want to be "immersed in my own sound" as Emerald once described it on their web site. I prefer to aim the sound and keep my ears open to other players. It's a preference based on experience with these guitars.

I also want to minimize the guitar bleeding into a vocal mic for recording. I didn't test this, so not sure if it really is an issue, but it would be a concern.

But their is another reason that may be pecular to me... birds ~ I mostly live outside and it's amazing how fast critters can move in ~ and debirs... that sound port just says "feed me" and there would be more than just picks collecting in there.

Beer, too, and with the electronics, I'd be hesitant to hose it out.

I am probably in the vast minority on the OS sound hole thing, but it might be nice for Emerald to have at least one model to accommodate and I think the X10 would be a perfect model for that option.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

I think the X10 is a great model for numerous adaptations. I've played the 7 and the 30, owned two 10s and one 20 and have found the 10 to be the happy medium. Options like sound hole placement, nut width, scale, electronics and body thickness would make the 10 an incredibly versatile instrument.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Someone say there might be critters hidin’ in here ?!

Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Someone say there might be critters hidin’ in here ?!

Well, if you had taken that photo on your boat, Jon, it would have been the "trifecta" of what makes me smile!

When I do play on the couch, Rufus sits by me, but he has never stuck his head in the soundhole. I, on the other hand, have sung right into it. Not sure what that says about the average intelligence of each species?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Strumalot;

I think the X10 is a great model for numerous adaptations. I've played the 7 and the 30, owned two 10s and one 20 and have found the 10 to be the happy medium. Options like sound hole placement, nut width, scale, electronics and body thickness would make the 10 an incredibly versatile instrument.
With the new X7, new X10, new X30 and new XX, I'm looking forward to the craziness of comparisons of old and new Emeralds.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Well, if you had taken that photo on your boat, Jon, it would have been the "trifecta" of what makes me smile!

When I do play on the couch, Rufus sits by me, but he has never stuck his head in the soundhole. I, on the other hand, have sung right into it. Not sure what that says about the average intelligence of each species?
Glad you liked it Cap’n.

Sorry if I’ve steered away from thread topic a bit.

Just killin’ time while we all eagerly await Alistair’s latest new info !

HEY ! Emerald (and any other offset soundhole) folks ! Here’s another good fun time waster for y’all:

Anyone else experimented with the “Wa-Wa” effect that you can get by hitting a big chord then palming the soundhole open/shut ?

Haven’t figured how to work it into any songs yet, might make a nice ending/fadeout for something ....
Old 06-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Guest 928

Jon;

You should be ashamed of taking credit for the Wa-Wa effect when it's obviously your cat making the sound. Also, the sound you are hearing is probably not Wa-Wa but more like Mew-Ow.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
. Maybe it's a sign I should be sensible and not buy anything. .

That's crazy talk right there!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-01-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jon;

You should be ashamed of taking credit for the Wa-Wa effect when it's obviously your cat making the sound. Also, the sound you are hearing is probably not Wa-Wa but more like Mew-Ow.
From the land of Benny Hill, the 2 Ronnie's, Monte Python...and what the heck...Dr. Who... what'd you expect?
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 06-01-2018, 06:45 PM

Default New Emerald models up on web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
That's crazy talk right there!!

I know, what on earth could I have been thinking? [emoji23] But I do need to sell some stuff soon to justify my latest bout of GAS. My Ovation 1994 Collector Series has gotta to go, to make room for a full composite guitar. Or... maybe I'll just buy something new first, and then sell the old stuff later... so tempting to be undisciplined.

I also have to admit that I'm taking second and third (and fourth) looks at the new X7. I don't need a travel guitar so the old version was too small for me. But this new one might just be the sweet spot for stashing in the trunk of my car, for a strum or two while waiting to pick up my wife or kids.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:

I also have to admit that I'm taking second and third (and fourth) looks at the new X7. I don't need a travel guitar so the old version was too small for me. But this new one might just be the sweet spot for stashing in the trunk of my car, for a strum or two while waiting to pick up my wife or kids.
Most excellent thought process going on here.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know, what on earth could I have been thinking? [emoji23] But I do need to sell some stuff soon to justify my latest bout of GAS. My Ovation 1994 Collector Series has gotta to go, to make room for a full composite guitar. Or... maybe I'll just buy something new first, and then sell the old stuff later... so tempting to be undisciplined.

I am crazy about my "vintage" X7... making it slightly larger over-all, 12-fret, and the redesigned sound hole, this new version sounds like all the things to make a great guitar even better. I get it.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber