The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Giannini imported some fairly high end laminated Brazilian RW guitars. They've been discussed elsewhere.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=214257
I've owned 2 different Brazilian rosewood laminated Giannini guitars. Also owned a really nice Sherry Brener classical guitar with laminated Brazilian back and sides.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Recard View Post
With all this CITES stuff about other rosewoods, I was thinking about my 2 lam b&s EIR guitars and got to wondering if there were ever lam b&s Brazilian rosewood guitars.
Yep, I have a Giannini Craviola 12 string, Brazilian laminate back and sides, made in Brazil. The only guys who used those were Jimmy Page and the guy from the Lawrence Welk Orchestra. Don't know what they talked about when they got together to play their craviolas.
My Standel has a Brazilian fretboard and bridge. We won't be seeing that kind of thing again.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
The furniture industry is what wiped out the supply.
While it is certainly true that the furniture industry used far more than the guitar industry the real issue was farming and ranching.

Much Braz. RW was simply burned as a clearing method to make room for farms and ranches, without regard for the value of the wood, or other species. This was especially true where transport issues made logging untenable.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
While it is certainly true that the furniture industry used far more than the guitar industry the real issue was farming and ranching.

Much Braz. RW was simply burned as a clearing method to make room for farms and ranches, without regard for the value of the wood, or other species. This was especially true where transport issues made logging untenable.
Ironic part is that the back and sides just don't have much to do with the sound. Even if they did affect sound much, EIR has an identical density to BR and should conduct sound in a similar fashion. I think there are three things that have led to Braziliomania. First, the idea that if you can't get it, or at least get it legally, it must be better. I call that one Cuban Cigar Syndrome. Second, Martin coincidentally changed the bridgeplate at about the same time the BR started to run out, and it was a tone killer. Their quality also dropped around then, and I think people falsely associated both with the use of EIR. Third, several other major acoustic manufacturers were bought out by corporations (Gibson by Norlin, Gretsch by Baldwin) and again, quality and sound suffered.
I personally like laminated b/s guitars better for some purposes.(ducks quickly)
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 01-03-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
Ironic part is that the back and sides just don't have much to do with the sound. Even if they did affect sound much, EIR has an identical density to BR and should conduct sound in a similar fashion. I think there are three things that have led to Braziliomania. First, the idea that if you can't get it, or at least get it legally, it must be better. I call that one Cuban Cigar Syndrome. Second, Martin coincidentally changed the bridgeplate at about the same time the BR started to run out, and it was a tone killer. Their quality also dropped around then, and I think people falsely associated both with the use of EIR. Third, several other major acoustic manufacturers were bought out by corporations (Gibson by Norlin, Gretsch by Baldwin) and again, quality and sound suffered.
I personally like laminated b/s guitars better for some purposes.(ducks quickly)
Honestly I have no issue with laminate B&S guitars and think they sound great if well built. I do become a snob when it comes to laminate tops. Don't like those at all.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-03-2017, 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks;5179420]LOL That would be awesome, but sadly that isn't the case here. There isn't any more being exported at all so no one is benefiting from this one...

Actually, there is still Brazilian being exported from Brazil...it is re-claimed timber from buildings, and furniture and, and things like that.

There is supposed to be no more logging of brazilian rosewood trees...but...who knows what happens on some folks private and rural property.

duff
Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Honestly I have no issue with laminate B&S guitars and think they sound great if well built. I do become a snob when it comes to laminate tops. Don't like those at all.
My C.F. Mountain beer guitar plays well with low action and good intonation, but the laminate top does it no favors. It will have a sound system soon and that laminate top may help it to not feed back. B/S look to be laminate hog.
1997 Martin CEO-1R
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlorman View Post
Giannini imported some fairly high end laminated Brazilian RW guitars. They've been discussed elsewhere.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=214257
Bill is correct. I bought my first acoustic guitar around 1974. A Giannini steel string with Brazilian (laminate) back and sides. Not a well constructed guitar but compared to anything else I could afford at the time it was by far the best sounding and easiest to play. I still have that guitar (though I've "donated" it to the green room at our church where it hangs on the wall and is used by anyone looking to strum or pick something while our band is hanging there between services and rehearsals). It's been through incredible abuse and neglect over the past 42+ years. Needs a neck reset, re-fret, rosewood fingerboard has some very deep divots from wear on the first 3 frets, needs a new saddle, has a minor seam separation in the top, etc. but it still plays and sounds pretty darn good. It's not worth much, if anything, so I will never put money into it. But, it's cool that it is still serving its purpose - to be played and make music.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
back and sides, brazilian, donkey, laminate, rosewood