The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2016, 11:36 PM

Given that Torres once built a guitar out of papier mâché or heavy cardboard and it still sounded good, I don't think any rosewood or tonewood can be inherently bad in itself - it depends on the luthier.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Given that Torres once built a guitar out of papier mâché or heavy cardboard and it still sounded good, I don't think any rosewood or tonewood can be inherently bad in itself - it depends on the luthier.
True enough and this feeds the argument that there's no need to build guitars with solid sides and backs. It's my understanding the jury's still out on that. Plus, I don't know that Torres' papier mâché experiment made a good gigging guitar, lol.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I was just reading an old AGF thread from 2010 about Camatillo Rosewood. This is an unfamiliar tonewood to me. In the old thread one of the posters suggested avoiding it because of it's thin, tinny sound. Another poster, clearly a luthier, disputed the aforementioned poster's claim by saying, You obviously haven't played the guitar I built with Camalitto Rosewood.
Here's the irony. I've been listening to the youtube video linked here for months without even realizing that the back and sides of the featured Charis No.160 are constructed of this tonewood. BTW - I absolutely love the tone of this guitar.

I'm interested in any views folks would be willing to share about this tonewood.
Love the playing.

'13 408 Brazilian: Brazilian neck, Artist grade .

NOS '07 Modern Eagle 1 w/Brazilian Neck & RP's.

'10 "Steve Fischer" Angelus in Adi/Coco.

'13 Artist Package Tonare Grand in Brazilian.

Fender:

'77 Strat w/EMG SA's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
camalitto, luthier built, rosewood