The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM

I have used the Paige Clik for several years and have tried and owned a number of others....Shubb standard, Planet Waves NS, G7th P1 and recently P2, G7th Newport, Kyser (and trigger variants). I certainly prefer the capos that can be fine tuned once it is in pace, with by screw mechanism (Paige, NS, Newport) or hand pressure (P1, P2).

As with all things guitar related, it depends on how one uses it. For me its low profile, ability to park by the nut and centre screw mechanism make this a very good tool for how I use it which is generally in worship settings where it is really convenient to move around with the least effort and distraction. I have the wide version too which goes easily past the 7th fret.

It isn't perfect, of course. It isn't nearly as robust or as well made as a Shubb or G7th but it is a great tool for me. I have not had any problems with the screw mechanism or the clasp popping off.

I had two, thought I lost one, ordered another and then found the one I lost. Now I have three! Which brings up the last point, they are very economical and well worth the money.

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 03-30-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
I really like and use Shubb capos but am interested in the configuration where you can park the capo at the base of the head stock. The Elliot is out of the question at $150.00 a pop. I see the Paige capos on line for sale. What do you all think of these?
I have two Paige capos and two Shubbs.

The ease of leaving the Paige on my guitar seals the deal for me and the Shubbs stay in the cabinet.

As much as the Paige detractors attempt to play this issue down, there's no denying that the Paige uses the same design as the Elliot. Elliot uses it because it is the design least like to pull strings out of tune.

Those two factors make the Paige my choice. After trying the Elliot and seeing/hearing no discernable difference that would warrant the price difference, I was even more convinced the Paige is my choice.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-30-2017, 08:14 PM

Dave wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I have owned and used the Paige. They don't work or last as well as others.
I've had the same experience. The John Pearse Ol' Reliable or the new Shubb FT capos are better choices if you want to use a stirrup-style capo, in my opinion. Both are certainly more robust and better made.

Dave continued:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I use Elliott mainly, but never leave them on the headstock anyway, because they don't hang in the Hercules stands I use on stage and I switch off from guitar to other instruments off & on all during each set. Keeping things on the headstock is highly over-rated IMO.
Yeah, you know, I've TRIED to run with the cool crowd and signal my membership in it by storing stirrup-style capos up above the nut, but the problem I've run into each and every time has been that if I put the capo on firmly enough that it won't move around up there while I play, it inevitably squeezes the strings just a hair sharp.

If I back off the tension enough to stop sharping the strings, the capo flops around up there, (particularly when I do a scissors kick and jump off a stack of Marshall amplifiers, which is one of my signature moves....)

Okay, I'm kidding about jumping off a stack of amps, but not about my frustration with trying to store capos up above the nut. Kysers won't cause that problem, since they can clamp on anywhere, but I dislike them and won't use them onstage.

So I stash my Shubb Deluxe capos either in a pocket or on a flat surface within easy reach when I'm playing, and that works fine for me.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-30-2017, 08:38 PM

I like the Paige and have three of them. I think I have a Shubb around somewhere too, as well as a G7 and Kyser. Over time I end up trying a lot of things. I prefer the Paige as the work well for me. I have stored them at the nut but don't typically do that long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mang1974

2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
2008 Martin SWOMGT
Early 2000s Washburn JM300s
Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 AM

I like the Paige a lot--I use it on my Taylor. I started using it because I was always terrified of putting my Kyser down somewhere and then forgetting it and not having it when I needed it. It never happened, but at least I know where the Paige is when I need it.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-22-2018, 06:00 PM

I like the Paige a lot. I always get the black ones and reverse the sleeve so the gold letters are not visible. A capo is never pretty, so the least visibility is best. I hate the look of capos (and tuners and picks and cigarettes) stuck on a headstock.
I have a capo designated for each guitar and I take the time to bend the arm to the radius (or as close as possible) of the fingerboard to avoid re-tuning. I would never recommend a spring loaded capo like the Keyser or Trigger, since they press the strings right to the fingerboard and (on my guitars at least) pull the guitar sharp. Apply the capo right behind the fret and tighten just enough to stop the buzzing. Over-tightening will cause the guitar to go sharp.
I don't understand what Wade Hampton meant by: "I've TRIED to run with the cool crowd and signal my membership in it by storing stirrup-style capos up above the nut." Since when was it "cool" to store the capo at the nut? Is it cool to leave a tuner clipped to the headstock while you're playing? Do the "cool crowd" leave their strings unclipped and coiled into little circles?

For some reason, I can't bring myself to chuck out my old capos. I still have a Hamilton that I bought in the early sixties and a bunch of Bill Russel elastics and a Sabine from the seventies and a bunch more. They never go on guitars these days.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .

Last edited by PHJim; 06-22-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

I have a Paige and used at home all the time until I got a G7 yoke style (fairly new, I can’t remember the model name). It’s pricey but it’s the best capo I have ever used. Much less tuning adjustments for me.

The Paige is fine, but the G7? Wow.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
. . . In fact, I've had the Shubb pop off my guitar in the middle of a song, but I've never had that happen with the Paige.
I honestly do not know how this can happen outside of operator error. I know its an old thread so I doubt the poster will explain how it happened, but if anyone else has had a Shubb F1 or F3 pop off in the middle of a song, please tell me more.

Yes, I have a Shubb F3 as well as other Shubbs, Victor, Kyser, Planet Waves NS, etc. Oh, & a Paige Clik for my mandolin, too.

Frank
Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM

I've had a Paige for quite a few years and really like it. No problems at all.

Last edited by wkbryan; 06-23-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling. Shouldn't post while sleepy.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 PM

I’ve been using Paige capos ever since I saw YouTube videos of Charlie Worsham (my favorite new country artist) playing one.

This is one of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/xEiNmqJa9so
Old 06-22-2018, 10:25 PM

Red face

The Shubb 12 will give you no problems above the 5th fret, or on any of the larger neck 6 string guitars out there, and I don't work for them, I just appreciate a good product !!!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

I was a G7 P1 fan for many years and used them exclusively for a long time. During that time I bought a couple Paiges but could not bond with them. I seemed to have a lot of intonation issues with them, so I put them away for quite a while.

Recently I tried one of those and really liked it, and the intonation issues seemed very minimal.

I gotta tell ya, so many people love Shubbs. I CANNOT get my guitar to stay in tune when I apply a Shubb. Cannot. I've tried it ten ways to Sunday. The only time I ever use a Shubb is when I have a little fret buzz on the 4th or 5th fret and need to really clamp down (which it does better than the G7. But even then, I only use it when it will stay in that position for a whole set. I will not use it if I have to capo and then remove it, or capo on the 4th and then moved it to, say, the second fret. Just horrible intonation issues.

I wish the Shubb would work for me. I tend to love overbuilt things, like my old Chrysler, and I love how beefie and industrial it looks, but man, it really messes with my guitar.

My Three Cents,
Scott Memmer
Old 06-24-2018, 06:22 PM

I have 3 and I like them. Price is same as a Keyser.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:05 PM

I don’t know if the OP is still following this, but the ONLY capo I’ll consider on a twelve string is a Paige.
Even pressure and the little sleeve thingies for the EADG octave Strings make the “micro tuning after capo application”, not nearly as big a deal.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Frankly, I started using a Paige because I saw some of my guitar heroes using it...which I know is the lamest reason of all. But, it works...and I like that I can leave it on my guitar at the back of the nut where it’s convenient. Never have tried a Shubb...and I can’t afford an Elliot, so guess I’ll stick with what works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion