The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations; that's a fine looking guitar and the story really adds to it.

Red gum is a well known eucalypt here in south eastern Australia. It is a very dramatic tree and is about the toughest eucalypt I know of, quite heavy and as hard as a rock.

Col
Old 06-22-2018, 05:19 AM

Beautiful.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Congratulations; that's a fine looking guitar and the story really adds to it.

Red gum is a well known eucalypt here in south eastern Australia. It is a very dramatic tree and is about the toughest eucalypt I know of, quite heavy and as hard as a rock.

Col
Thanks for the info, Col - I appreciate it. I've decided to name this one "Uluru" - maybe you can help me with the pronunciation. Stress on the last syllable?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:55 PM

Congratulations. A Kinnaird is hard to beat.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Thanks for the info, Col - I appreciate it. I've decided to name this one "Uluru" - maybe you can help me with the pronunciation. Stress on the last syllable?
For Uluru we pronounce it ‘oolerooo’, so the third syllable is slightly longer than the first and the second is a bit like “le” in French.
I drove to Uluru back in the 90’s – absolutely awesome place, quite magical, so a good name for your guitar!

To add some visual context, here is a good image of a red gum out in the bush.

Col

Old 06-24-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
For Uluru we pronounce it ‘oolerooo’, so the third syllable is slightly longer than the first and the second is a bit like “le” in French.
I drove to Uluru back in the 90’s – absolutely awesome place, quite magical, so a good name for your guitar!

To add some visual context, here is a good image of a red gum out in the bush.

Col

Thanks for the photo - I'm going to save that one!

I've been playing it a good bit of course, and enjoying the heck out of it. I'm still having trouble pinning down the sound:not much like mahogany or rosewood or anything else I've played. It has a great deal of sustain, but then so does every Kinnaird I've ever tried. Strong fundamentals but enough harmonic complexity to sweeten things. A real joy to play fingerstyle.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM

I thought I'd give a little sound/tone update on this new guitar of mine. Let me start by saying that I'm totally in love with it and have a hard time putting it down, so bear that in mind if whatever I say sounds critical.

I stated in one of my posts that I though it was more toward the rosewood end of the spectrum than the mahogany end, but I want to revise that. It seems (to my ears) to have a strong, clean fundamental, perhaps more like mahogany or even maple. Chords have a clean ring, as if each string contributed only what is necessary for that chord (the intonation is very beautiful), without any stray harmonics that muddy the chord. I like this quality so much that my preferred mode of play is strummed chords - it's great for pop ballads. It does fine for fingerstyle as well, though it doesn't have the depth in the bass notes I get from my dread (no surprise there) - if anything it is too well balanced!

I don't know if any of this is attributable to the red gum back and sides - the double X bracing may be a factor here as well - but I thought I would put this out there in case anyone is considering red gum as a drop-in replacement for rosewood: I don't think it is. Now, Steve K. or Ryan M. or someone else with some time playing this guitar may have a different take on this - they are welcome to chime in and disagree if they would like. Other red gum guitars may have totally different sonic profiles: since I've never played one I can't speak to that.

Let me repeat: I love this guitar. It's no bluegrass canon but I have one of those. What it does well it does very, very well.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:14 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Thanks for the description Stan. I think it is safe to say not many of us have played a RedGum guitar. Love the crystal clear trebles. Sounds like a perfect guitar to accompany some singing. Congrats again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion