The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2018, 07:18 PM

Default Cheap piezo 3 sensor system.

Hi, I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive pickup for my inexpensive Yamaha guitar. I have a better guitar with a Fishman installed, but I'm fond of the Yammy and it gets a lot of playing time. I've been looking at the Neo-D, and the like, but they're more than I want to spend currently, there is an Artec with adjustable pole pieces for half that, but now I see a 3 sensor piezo under saddle setup for just a few bucks. Kinda like a poor man's K&K, if you like. Has anyone here tried something similar? There's the whole impedance issue that I'm a bit hazy about, for example would 3 sensors reduce it to something more manageable? I do have a Fishman pro eq preamp lying around which might be suitable. So anyway I'm just wondering, and would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:30 PM

install a K&K Pure Mini (pretty economical if you use the AGF's sponsers for a discount price) or go a few bucks cheaper on the JBB setup. I'd personally opt for the K&K since I've installed a half dozen of them and never been disappointed.

The upside is there are no electronics installed on your guitar, but you do need to route them to an external pre-amp for impedance matching. Almost any external pre or other device will get the job done for you. Don't get hung up about why, just do it. It will improve your amplified sound.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Get the JJB Prestige 330 (http://www.jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html). Very inexpensive, outstanding quality, and fantastic sound.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 PM

I have JJB Prestige 330's installed in 3 of my guitars. I highly recommend. Great sound. You could try a JJB without an external preamp if your going straight into an amplifier but having one is better. If you want to go on the cheap there also, a Behringer ADI 21 would work well.

EDIT. I see you already have a preamp. Give it a try.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's

Last edited by Wooly; 03-12-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 AM

Thanks for the replies, the JJB is interesting. I'm still interested in a ultra low cost option, I know some people make pickup systems from buzzer piezo elements, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience of same.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I tried a couple of different cheapo 3-disk systems a while back - in the $10.00 range, Chinese made of course. Absolutely, totally unusable - stay away!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 PM

JJB is probably your best option, but if you are really not a Doctor and are looking for a budget solution:

http://www.wsukes.com/electric/electric.html
Old 03-14-2018, 02:38 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
I tried a couple of different cheapo 3-disk systems a while back - in the $10.00 range, Chinese made of course. Absolutely, totally unusable - stay away!
Pity, that's the sort of thing I've been looking at.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
JJB is probably your best option, but if you are really not a Doctor and are looking for a budget solution:

http://www.wsukes.com/electric/electric.html
I'm not really a doctor, but my Martin is a DR, so...
A radio shack piezo might be better than an eBay cheapo? Interesting. But it reminds me I have a DiMarzio contact pickup somewhere that's 30 years old or so, it just needs a jack socket attacked. Hmmm, vintage piezo, might be special.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
I did the same. Junk.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 03-14-2018, 09:08 AM

I've just found that JBB do a two head pickup for 23 bucks, that seems very good value, if the shipping to here in Ireland is not too much. Cool.
Do JJB do special deals for AGF members, and how does one avail?
Anyway, I have just unearthed my old DiMarzio, and putting it through the preamp it sound surprisingly decent. That was just stuck onto the treble side of the bridge with Blue-Tac, super glued to the inside might work better.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 AM

Postage is very cheap from JJB. Postage to the UK for mine was $4 roughly if that. Well worth going for the JJB - easily my favourite pickup in all of my guitars.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 03-15-2018, 04:05 AM

I put some ultra cheap ($10 for three piezo's attached to a jack) in my acoustic. Works fine. There is no onboard electonics or preamp but I have a volume pedal which I use. Of course it needs some eq too to reduce the quack. I don't play out professionally but for mucking about at home its great.
I've just bought a JJB as well which I will be installing on another guitar when I get a chance so it will be interesting to compare.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 03-15-2018, 06:28 AM

Default Cheap piezo 3 sensor system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin View Post
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive pickup for my inexpensive Yamaha guitar. I have a better guitar with a Fishman installed, but I'm fond of the Yammy and it gets a lot of playing time. I've been looking at the Neo-D, and the like, but they're more than I want to spend currently, there is an Artec with adjustable pole pieces for half that, but now I see a 3 sensor piezo under saddle setup for just a few bucks. Kinda like a poor man's K&K, if you like. Has anyone here tried something similar? There's the whole impedance issue that I'm a bit hazy about, for example would 3 sensors reduce it to something more manageable? I do have a Fishman pro eq preamp lying around which might be suitable. So anyway I'm just wondering, and would appreciate any suggestions.

The 3 piezo things sound horrible. I tried them.

Andoer do a great range of budget pickups or piezo systems with goose neck condenser mic.

Either get the system with under saddle piezo with gooseneck condenser mic, or stacked sound hole humbucker with goose neck condenser mic. Both systems allow you to blend the sounds.

It costs about £20 GBP

One thing I didn’t consider is that the sound hole pickup would benefit from the guitar being strung with electric guitar strings, but I use iRig acoustic now which is awesome. The pickup will sense the wound strings as the inner core is steel but because the are bronze wound they are a bit quiet. Not an issue if you used the piezo saddle system though.

Here’s a demo of the sound hole puck-up with gooseneck condenser mic...

https://youtu.be/3N2iavjw9HA
Old 03-16-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie1971 View Post
Andoer do a great range of budget pickups or piezo systems with goose neck condenser mic.
I've never heard of them. I might try one of these pickups on my 'experimental' guitar, not much to lose but it might turn out to be decent. Thanks for the tip.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification