The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM

Default Interested in opinions: will be buying/trading/selling

First off, I'm relatively new to all this forum biz, so if I mis-step, appologies in advance. I'm interested in feedback cause there are a lot of good guitars out there, I've played many, but not all to be sure, and I'm moving into new territory. I've sold off a number of great guitars over the past few years, a Dupont, Sadowsky, Dobro, Belleza Nera, Bourgie OMC koa, Schoenberg among others. I'm looking to fill out the family again with two to three new members.

Due to a bike crash (me on bicycle, car ran stop sign) I've had a series of surgeries on my left, fretting, hand. I got the O to use as I recovered from surgery. When I play (most frequently bluegrass, old timey, swing or gypsy) my hand fatigues and hurts when I use my CW--up until now, my go to guitar.

I've decided to jump into the short scale world. My preference is for Adi tops, mahogony bodies for most things, though I know I want to get maple, maybe in a Lucas style. I'm fascinated by Kopp, Walker, Fairbanks and many new builders. I'm also curious about Collings CJ's. I am hoping to sell or trade the Stratton and maybe the CW. My thinking is to hold on to the CW for a while to make sure I'm happy with the sound and feel of the slope. I'm also looking at getting a small body (Nick Lucas or OM) and maybe an inexpensive 16" arch top (may have that solved as I'm going between an Eastman 805 and a Loar 700).

There you go. I'm eager to hear thoughts on wood combos I've not considered and the builders I mentioned and any in there league. Since I'm looking at getting a few guitars, I want to keep the investment down, so I'm probably looking at used. If I go new, it will only be on one guitar, and I may do a custom.

I welcome the conversation. Thanks

Collings Clarence White
Collings CW Hog
Collings O42sb
Bourgeois Slope D Hog/Adi
Eastman 804
Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jess, looks as if you have a pretty good herd already.

Regarding archtops - go Eastman rather than Loar (I've had both - kept the Eastman).

I'm a flat-picker too - short scale didn't work for me.
You already know about the quality of Collings - doesn't that tell you something ?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM

you may want to look at custom SmoothStone acoustics.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM

Thanks Cotten, I'll check out the Charter member section to see what it's about. I have read the classifieds...Thanks.

Collings Clarence White
Collings CW Hog
Collings O42sb
Bourgeois Slope D Hog/Adi
Eastman 804

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
kopp, nick lucas, short scale, slope shoulder, walker