The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-23-2019, 12:25 AM

Default Use a Mic, switching guitar and ukulele

Hallo, in September i have to play in a church for a wedding, 7 song in fingerpicking, 5 with guitar and 2 with ukulele. I won't to have a real tone so I think to use a stand with a microphone near the neck attack and switch from guitar to ukulele. I have a sm57 and a condensator mic. Which mic I have to use? Is the first time that I use mic for live performance. Do you think is OK or is better that I use the other guitar with the antheme installed?
Old 08-23-2019, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I run an Acoustic club with many different acts playing many different instruments, and, s it is an acoustic music club, I don't allow "plugging" in, so, to keep matters simple I use just one Large condenser mic, and it works very well, as people with varying skills don't need to precisely place instruments.

Of course - you will need phantom power.

I hope that helps.

I migliori saluti

ol'Andy
Old 08-23-2019, 03:52 AM

In my experience, for weddings you may not have the usual sound person running sound, so less is more there. I mean, I wouldn't use two channels by using the guitar with the Anthem pickup and also a mic for the ukulele. Personally I'd go for the condenser mic. Just beware that, when working properly--with phantom power supplied as commented already--the condenser mic will pick up EVERYTHING...your breathing, anything you mutter under your breath, movement of your clothes, so practice practice practice with one if you can. Practice switching from guitar to your ukulele, and notice your relative location to the mic when making the changes. I wouldn't think feedback would be much of an issue at a wedding since the "stage" is usually very quiet as well as the audience once you start playing. On a side note,
try thinking of this chance as something you "get to" do rather than something you "have to" do. The whole experience will be more enjoyable. Playing weddings can be a beautiful opportunity to bless the lives of the bride and groom using your gift of music.
Old 08-23-2019, 06:38 AM

Phantom power not withstanding (not all PAs have it), it sounds like you are not supplying the sound system? Location of the speakers in relation to where you are set up can be important - specially if using a condenser mic.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-23-2019, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatcat View Post
Hallo, in September i have to play in a church for a wedding, 7 song in fingerpicking, 5 with guitar and 2 with ukulele. I won't to have a real tone so I think to use a stand with a microphone near the neck attack and switch from guitar to ukulele. I have a sm57 and a condensator mic. Which mic I have to use? Is the first time that I use mic for live performance. Do you think is OK or is better that I use the other guitar with the antheme installed?
In my opinion for a one time performance the SM 57 will probably work just fine. You will want to experiment with placement, being a dynamic mic you will have to place it fairly close to the instrument 4 to 6 inches probably. And I would experiment with both the neck joint and also right behind the bridge both slightly below and slightly above the bridge area .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-24-2019, 01:17 AM

Thanks everybody
Old 08-25-2019, 04:32 AM

If possible - visit the church beforehand with a friend and test. Definitely improves the odds
Old 08-25-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
In my experience, for weddings you may not have the usual sound person running sound, so less is more there. I mean, I wouldn't use two channels by using the guitar with the Anthem pickup and also a mic for the ukulele. Personally I'd go for the condenser mic. Just beware that, when working properly--with phantom power supplied as commented already--the condenser mic will pick up EVERYTHING...your breathing, anything you mutter under your breath, movement of your clothes, so practice practice practice with one if you can. Practice switching from guitar to your ukulele, and notice your relative location to the mic when making the changes. I wouldn't think feedback would be much of an issue at a wedding since the "stage" is usually very quiet as well as the audience once you start playing. On a side note,
try thinking of this chance as something you "get to" do rather than something you "have to" do. The whole experience will be more enjoyable. Playing weddings can be a beautiful opportunity to bless the lives of the bride and groom using your gift of music.
I agree, it will be a pleasure play for two friends of mine
Old 08-25-2019, 08:14 AM

Whatever your setup is, I would practice setting it up and getting the levels etc which you like, at home on a mixer , or possibly on a PA somewhere . I wouldn't necessarily do this on the fly. Assume the sound "technician" won't really know anything more than how to turn it on.

Last edited by mattbn73; 08-25-2019 at 08:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
condensator, guitar, mic, ukulele