The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-27-2020, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Any Timmy pedal users? Who has the new MXR mini Timmy pedal.

A buddy of mine recently shared his pedal board with me. He's a successful LA guitar slinger. So I asked him which pedal he would keep if he could only keep one. He chose the Timmy.

Vintage Timmy's sell for more than they did new so when Sweetwater announced that they had the new MXR Timmy in stock I ordered one. By all accounts it's a real Timmy at a fair price. Produced by MXR in collaboration with Paul Cochrane.

So far I'm more than pleased with the Timmy. I've used it at home with different guitars and amps. I like it as a semi-clean gain boost. Used that way it just makes the guitar bigger and sweeter. Of course if you crank it you get some sick distortion which is also fun.

Who else around here has a Timmy pedal? Please share your thoughts, favorite settings, favorite pairings, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1915.jpg (42.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

I haven't tried one but it's on my shortlist of OD pedals.

I'm putting together my first electric rig. I just acquired Sweetwater's version of the Princeton Reverb RI (in tweed with a 12" Cannabis Rex), along with an American Special Tele.

The other OD pedals on my shortlist (in no particular order):
  • Tumnus
  • OCD
  • Archer Icon
  • Soul Food
  • Morning Glory

Enjoy the Timmy and keep us posted.

Martin D-18, OM-18GE, 000-18GE 12-Fret
Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS
Santa Cruz 1929-00
Nash T-52
Fender Mustang Bass, P Bass, J Bass
Old 03-27-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix58 View Post

I'm putting together my first electric rig. I just acquired Sweetwater's version of the Princeton Reverb RI (in tweed with a 12" Cannabis Rex), along with an American Special Tele.

The other OD pedals on my shortlist (in no particular order):
  • Tumnus
  • OCD
  • Archer Icon
  • Soul Food
  • Morning Glory

Enjoy the Timmy and keep us posted.
You might want to compare the Timmy to the Icon and see if you want both; both are generally considered at their best as clean boosts/always on pedals.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

I'm sorry, but I could not help thinking of this.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-27-2020, 07:40 PM

I've never played a Timmy but I've read great things about Paul Cochrane and his pedals over the years. I didn't realize he teamed up with MXR. Great way to get the Timmy more mainstream.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bix58 View Post

I'm putting together my first electric rig. I just acquired Sweetwater's version of the Princeton Reverb RI (in tweed with a 12" Cannabis Rex), along with an American Special Tele. Enjoy the Timmy and keep us posted.
The Timmy works nicely with my Princeton Reverb clone which I built from a Mojo kit. Custom telecaster with Fralin pickups. Lots of fun.

Tonight I tried the Timmy with my tweed Deluxe clone amp and it isn't as much fun as it is with the Princeton Reverb. The Tele and the tweed Deluxe are like pancakes and maple syrup––they go together just right.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:38 PM

i've had a timmy for years...i use it primarily as a clean boost...i use a (lovepedal) tchula and (ibanez) mt-10 mostortion for dirt
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:25 AM

Does the Timmy give a type of clean boost like an MXR Micro Amp or a Soul Food? I realize that the Timmy will have it's own character but I'm looking more for how much gain it gives. The Micro Amp is just a clean boost, the Soul Food is a transparent OD. Where does the Timmy fall in ... between the two, from a gain structure perspective?
Old 03-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Does the Timmy give a type of clean boost like an MXR Micro Amp or a Soul Food? I realize that the Timmy will have it's own character but I'm looking more for how much gain it gives. The Micro Amp is just a clean boost, the Soul Food is a transparent OD. Where does the Timmy fall in ... between the two, from a gain structure perspective?
I'm not familiar with those pedals but it seems the Timmy has it's own thing. Used as clean boost it has enough gain to push the input stage of a tube amp into distortion. Works a treat with a tweed Champ

By the way, I've discovered that the Timmy does play nice with a tweed Deluxe if you keep the Timmy's gain at 9:00. If you are using it this way as a clean boost it still adds something euphonic to the sound.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
This is what I've read, not what I know from experience, so take it that way. I've heard it described as a "mild Overdrive" with the gain between 11:00-1:00. Most seem to use it as a cleanish boost/always on pedal with the gain at 9:00 or lower, about like you'd use a Klon or an Archer. Definitely more gain than a Microamp though.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
I'm not familiar with those pedals but it seems the Timmy has it's own thing. Used as clean boost it has enough gain to push the input stage of a tube amp into distortion. Works a treat with a tweed Champ

By the way, I've discovered that the Timmy does play nice with a tweed Deluxe if you keep the Timmy's gain at 9:00. If you are using it this way as a clean boost it still adds something euphonic to the sound.
I'll keep my eye out for a used Timmy ... I might be waiting a while though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
This is what I've read, not what I know from experience, so take it that way. I've heard it described as a "mild Overdrive" with the gain between 11:00-1:00. Most seem to use it as a cleanish boost/always on pedal with the gain at 9:00 or lower, about like you'd use a Klon or an Archer. Definitely more gain than a Microamp though.
Thanks Paleo. The Soul Food is considered a Klon clone.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:14 PM
Guitar Gourmet

How does the Timmy compare to the Analog Man Prince of Tone?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars