The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Default Thank God for the guitar

I know many of you guys don't know me as I haven't posted here much (more of a lurker), but I've been visiting this site for some time now and felt like I should share my story. I was involved in a car accident on November 3rd that in all honesty, I was lucky to survive. I had broken legs, a broken clavicle, broken ribs, and a deflated lung. Here's the car...

I was in the hospital for 3 weeks, and now I'm at home recovering at my parent's house. Long story short, this accident has reinvigorated my love for the guitar (not that it ever really went away), and made me realize how lucky I am to be able to play. The guitar has helped me be able to get through all of this and blow off steam as soon as my sling came off a few weeks ago. I guess what I'm saying is...take a second to be thankful that we have the opportunity to play such a beautiful instrument (and that some of us own such beautiful instruments), and try not to take it for granted as I did for so long.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM

What sobering thoughts.

May you have a speedy recovery.

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Humanist

Art is long, life is short:

Quote:
Ars longa, vita brevis.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Wow...just wow!

Thanks very much for sharing your story. In a less dramatic way I share your gratitude. Nine months ago I was divorced after 24 years of marriage. As a teenager and young man I played often, did some coffee houses, etc. Over the course of my marriage w/the busy-ness of raising kids, etc (along with a discouraging spouse) my playing dropped off significantly.

In the months since moving out I've found solace and refuge in my playing and am looking forward to maybe even playing in gigs again. I could go on and on but just wanted to echo your sentiment and gratitude.

Thanks for posting this topic!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Events like that can make us reflect on what we have ... I'm happy that you're going to be all right. That car is totally demolished. Speedy recovery and I hope we see more of you around here, TLG.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks guys. It definitely puts things into perspective.

And I'll definitely be around more. I always hang out on here, and now I have seemingly endless time to join the conversation
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Wow. The photo of your car is astounding. Hard to believe anyone could survive a crash like that. You are indeed fortunate, and I can tell that you know it. And you, as are we all, are indeed fortunate to have the guitar at our disposal. It is a healer. I've played all my life, and it has brought me through many hard times, as well as great ones. Music is a life force. I am very glad that you play the guitar, for it will help you heal and live a long life. Sometimes you need to hear a story like yours, and see the pictures of what you survived, to remember how delicate life is and how wonderful our gifts are. Playing the guitar is certainly one of them. Don't ever stop! May you heal completely and play the guitar for many, many years.

Jack
Old 12-08-2012, 04:26 PM

Glad to hear that you're recuperating. Hang in there.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Just last week as my wife and I were returning from a trip to Tennessee we happened upon an accident shortly after it occurred that resulted in a fatality. The unfortunate man's vehicle damage looked remarkably similar to yours. You are a very fortunate fellow to be alive!

I sincerely hope that your recovery will be complete and that your life will be enriched in appreciation by surviving the experience.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM

Wink

OMG!!!! Wishing you all the best joy in life. J.D.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

The title of your post says it all. Cherish every precious moment you get to spend with loved ones and playing guitar. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 PM

Glad you are safe.
Everyday IS a blessing.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 PM

The picture is horrifying. How you survived that, God only knows. You are still here for a purpose. Make the most of it, my friend.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:45 PM

I'm with you, every step of the way. Been there - you'll come all the way back. Guitars keep us alive, and your guitars son fantasticas!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM

Best wishes, congratulations on finding something meaningful to you to help move forward from your accident. I have not had an accident, but 9 left shoulder surgeries including a replacement, three neck surgeries and various others. The guitar is the thing that keeps me moving forward, too. I hope your recovery goes well.
Eastman AC312
JTV-59

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion