The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2021, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm always up for buying used. You can save 25-30% that way. I've never had to make use of a warranty claim on a new guitar, so that wouldn't bother me - unless it were a recent Martin.

$2000 CDN would be a reasonable price for a used 300 series Taylor, or potentially a really great deal on a higher series.

Are you up to speed on potential problem areas to look for when buying used?
Old 11-30-2021, 08:51 PM

Default Potential things to look for....

Hi there. No, other than playing it, I don't really know. Interested in any thoughts you have
Old 11-30-2021, 08:57 PM

I bought my two favorite guitars gently used. That's my recommendation.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkc View Post
Hi there. No, other than playing it, I don't really know. Interested in any thoughts you have
You might check out this thread.

And welcome to the forum!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:21 PM

Can’t add much in terms of what to check out. I try to have a straight edge to get a better sense of neck and top and back being how you like em to be. I often take a trusted friend along too. They remember things I might forget to check. That allows me to hear the guitar played and hear it as I hear my friend play other guitars. All of my guitars were owned by others first. Most by members of the AGF or the UMGF, or both. Played them all before buying. There are always more really nice and really interesting guitars for sale or trade right here (and occasionally in my price range. No doubt there are a couple now and 5-10 more in the wish upon a star range. All from sellers who have earned trust here on the forum. Welcome and best of luck with it.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 11-30-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the feedback. I think I am gonna like it here. I'll admit, I love the feel and the sound. I have the week to back out of the deal but I think I will stay the course with the help of the feedback. I'll check out the classifieds for something close by to me also, so new I didn't ever see them there.

Here is a few pics of her I just took. Thanks again everybody!

https://flic.kr/ps/LGYXQ

Nevermind what I said earlier. This looks to be a custom GA with solid rosewood back and sides. Probably early 2013 or older judging from 2-screw truss rod cover. Great deal imo for 2k CAD if it's in a great condition and no major red flags with its construction.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 12-01-2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the feedback. I think I am gonna like it here. I'll admit, I love the feel and the sound. I have the week to back out of the deal but I think I will stay the course with the help of the feedback. I'll check out the classifieds for something close by to me also, so new I didn't ever see them there.

That’s just gorgeous. Great choice!
Old 12-01-2021, 06:46 AM

Consider both used and new in your range, if you come across one that you really love, whether it's the used or new, get that one.

For some reason I've mostly bought new, due to where I live, if you have something specific in mind, good luck finding it used until a year or two later. Unless you buy online of course.

Not sure you're preferences, but with 2 grand cad I'd buy a Larrivee D-40, or for a couple hundred more, if you prefer rosewood I'd buy a D-40R or for a thousand less a Yamaha LL16.

Last edited by Wellington; 12-01-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Buying used generally saves some money, but I can't find used guitars with the absence of features, i.e. cutaway, electronics that others prefer...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-01-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:

If you like the tone of this one, you should be in good shape. It’s very easy on the eyes and looks like a high quality Taylor. You can take it to a qualified guitar repair shop and ask them to look it over for you and do a quick setup. Should be a low or no cost affair. Enjoy.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:41 AM

I've bought all of my guitars used and have been very pleased with all of the results. I feel you can get really great guitars in very good condition for a lot less than new if you bide your time and do your homework.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Looks like you did well on that Taylor as long as you like the sound and playability. It looks great in the pics! Finding the one that fits you and plays well for you is the key.

I bought a gently used Taylor 522e 12-fret a few months ago that has quickly become my favorite guitar, surpassing even my Martin CEO-7 I think. It just sounds so good and is easier to play than another other guitar I've had. I went to see it and was prepared to offer the seller less than his asking price. But after I played it for about 5 minutes, I handed him the full asking price and felt like I was getting a very good deal. That's what you call a win-win.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:07 AM

Sometimes you just got to trust your instinct.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:08 AM

Sometimes you just got to trust your instinct. Someone once told me that if you're on the fence about something, just jump the way you're leaning, and dont look back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion