The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-26-2021, 07:11 PM

Default Fixing mistakes in protools

Stupid question alert!

I’ve been bumbling along in protools for the last year without the ability to cut and paste sections in order to fix mistakes I make. Some of the songs I’m recording are up to seven minutes long, and I almost inevitably screw up at some point, so trying to get through a whole song is time consuming. I gather that I need to record a new track and play along with the old starting before the mistake, but then what’s the procedure from there? Is it really possible to seamlessly patch a section with a mistake?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

It's absolutely possible. Look up videos on how to create composite tracks. And use a click track so timing doesn't become an issue.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-26-2021, 11:42 PM

Never used Protools, but every DAW I've ever used has what's known as Punch In recording. You select the spot you want to record over and then start from before that point so you can sense of the song. It will only record over the time window you select and nothing else to fix a note or two.

So, look into Punch In recording.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-27-2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Is it really possible to seamlessly patch a section with a mistake?
Yes, it's really easy too, once you know how. Cross fade can also be your friend in helping to make it completely invisible.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-27-2021, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

This tutorial video should get you sorted...

YouTube
Old 07-27-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Couple things to add or clarify .
So as noted there are two primary, but quite different ways to go about this.

#1 Punching in which involves only one take but stopping and going back to a bar or two before the mistake then Punching in and replaying and continuing to play the original take

#2 Comping which multiple full takes and then selecting specific preferred sections from different takes to make a master take As per the video Jim posted BUT ......

To clarify there is perhaps IMO an easier method for getting the multi playlists

It takes some pre setting up BUT it allows for automatic creating new play lists when loop recording

The Steps

#1 Set to automatically create playlists when loop recording
#2 Set minutes and seconds as the Main counter in your transport
# 3 the "End" selection as the number of minutes your song is long
#4 Select Loop record on the record button (I also set loop playback as well)

#1 enable automatic creating playlist when loop recording You can select this on the 2 nd page of the PT Preferences page . On the right side is Record
second option from bottom is "Automatically create playlists when loop recording"

#2 Set "Minutes and Seconds as you main counter ( I also set Bars and beats as my Sub counter

#3 Set. the End length In the Main counter for the minutes of the song

#4 Set both record and playback to Loop

If you like I can do a quick screen recording later today on how to do all this

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-27-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
#2 Comping which multiple full takes and then selecting specific preferred sections from different takes to make a master take
Just to be clear, comping as done in that video does not require full takes. You can begin a take at any point in the song. When I do comp tracks, I rarely play a song all the way through. I usually do 3-5 takes of a section and then move on to the next session. I will typically end up with groups of 3-4 sections and compile the track from those groups.

I find that going into the recording knowing I only have to nail a section or part of a section, really takes the pressure off of recording. That's the beauty of comping from playlists... you can segment the song into as many sections as you want and then just concentrate on nailing that short section.

YouTube
Old 07-27-2021, 10:27 AM

Thanks everyone, that all helps. Time to dive in.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Just to be clear, comping as done in that video does not require full takes. You can begin a take at any point in the song. When I do comp tracks, I rarely play a song all the way through. I usually do 3-5 takes of a section and then move on to the next session. I will typically end up with groups of 3-4 sections and compile the track from those groups.

I find that going into the recording knowing I only have to nail a section or part of a section, really takes the pressure off of recording. That's the beauty of comping from playlists... you can segment the song into as many sections as you want and then just concentrate on nailing that short section.
Is mic placement ever an issue? I imagine you have to be careful to keep a consistent distance from the mic(s) to maintain consistent sound across takes, right?
Old 07-27-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is mic placement ever an issue? I imagine you have to be careful to keep a consistent distance from the mic(s) to maintain consistent sound across takes, right?
For me comping only work when the recordings are from exactly the same session. No changes at all in set up or anything else.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-27-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you set yourself up correctly, no. When I'm doing this, I have wireless mouse & keyboard just to my right so I can quickly move along without altering my position relative to the microphones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
For me comping only work when the recordings are from exactly the same session. No changes at all in set up or anything else.
That's true of any session, comped or otherwise. The recording of any particular audio track needs to be finished in one session because too much changes when you try to come back to something on another day.

The same rule does not apply to midi or vst instrument tracks.

YouTube
Old 07-27-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
.....That's true of any session, comped or otherwise. The recording of any particular audio track needs to be finished in one session because too much changes when you try to come back to something on another day.....
For me, with solo acoustic this only applies w.r.t comping. In a given session I might try changing something knowing that I will not be able to combine the takes.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-27-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Hardest yet is vocals, due to natural variances in mood and vocal condition and it's best if you can do any re-takes on the same day.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-27-2021, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Good point. I have mainly comped vocals and I have always just done multiple full takes. But it would be interesting to try section at a time.

And of course you can set up loop recoding for section at a time as well

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-27-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

An inadvertent error may have cause confusion. I meant move on to the next SECTION, not session.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD