The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
Any 00-DB owners care to give a review?
I'm especially curious how this guitar compares to Martin's 00-15M tone wise, anybody played both?

If this video is a good representation of the sound of the Tweedy it seems like a winner to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZxiFQevL7Q
It's a cut above the 15 Series. It's a more linear behaving guitar. If your looking at a new Tweedy, you should take the time to check out a used SCGC 00-1929 or 000-1929. That's another step up for about the same price.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

For the current second user price I don't think you can get a better sounding and playable guitar.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:28 AM

I've had one for the past year or so, and I have to say I like it.

It's got a small, deep body so it's pretty comfortable for me. The string spacing feels a little wide and different compared to my j45, so there is more room for finger style and you have to adjust a little for chords.

As for sound, I'd say its uniquish. Its a funky little guy. It has a ton of sustain when you play fingerstyle it's really noticeable. Sounds great if you like to pick with your finger pads. When you switch over to a pick and strumming it has a bit of that harshness that you can get from a smaller body guitar. Sounds different than a normal Martin hog 00 though, more depth to the sound.

Whether that works for you or not... I guess that would depend. Seems to hit the right spot for that guy in the video link.

I love a nice burst and it doesn't hurt that this guitar looks cool also.
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 AM

I've had one for the past year as well.

Very responsive, balanced, and loud. A dream to play.

It's become my go-to guitar. Works well finger style AND with a pick.

I didn't care for the strings that Martin had on it, so I replaced them. Also replaced the bridge pins with some Tom Colossi's.

It's very, very versatile.

Last edited by Deacon Blues; 04-03-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
It's a cut above the 15 Series. It's a more linear behaving guitar. If your looking at a new Tweedy, you should take the time to check out a used SCGC 00-1929 or 000-1929. That's another step up for about the same price.
Granted the Santa Cruz 00 1929 is a very fine guitar (wish i could afford one), but it's $1,400 dollars more than a Tweedy (both new), but both sound great in their own ways.

Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-03-2017, 11:26 PM

At the moment I am useing Martin Acoustic 80-20s on my "Tweedy" . Any help with string recommendations would be great . This is my first Hog top and bodied guitar so I'm so used to dealing with a spruce top . I have tried the following .
EJ16
Gibson Masterbuilt PB
These work great on my J45 but not on the Martin , I was thinking of Monels , also I like a nice firm tension to the string
Many Thanks
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 04-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Man I just played this guy and it blew me away. I'm still a beginner but I'm looking to buy my first nice guitar. It's weird I keep trying to like rosewood dreads but for whatever reason my ears just love smaller body hogs! When I played the tweedy today I decided to stop fighting it haha. It sounded so beautiful.

Just started really enjoying playing the blues and bending strings on the rich lite is cake.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Has anyone been able to compare the tweedy with a ceo7?
Old 07-30-2020, 02:07 AM

Default Yup . . .

I also played the OO-DB at Dave's Guitar Shop, comparing it to a standard OO-18, and ended up taking the OO-18. I wanted a great small guitar as my "retirement guitar", and the OO-18 has exactly the attributes I was looking for.
I do wonder if that particular OO-DB is a "dud". I have played expensive guitars before that were lacking the sound commensurate with their price tags; maybe that's one of them.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesStA View Post
Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison with the 00-15? If only the 00-15 had the wider nut width.
Agreed. My working guitar is an OMC-15M, and I love the 1.75" nut width. After a lot of shopping around and listening, I traded off a lot of stuff for a OO-18. Mahogany with a spruce top, wide nut -- little-guitar heaven.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:49 AM

db22, I’ve played a few of those Jeff Tweedy models, and while I think they’re excellent guitars and perfect for some players, I prefer the standard depth for Double O’s rather than the deeper bodies on this and the Martin “Women In Music” model from a few years earlier.

Before coming to this last page of posts from today, I skimmed through some of the posts from when this thread got started back a few years ago. One person claimed that the deeper body gives the Tweedy model more “punch” and projection, but I have never found that to be true, whether with deep body OM’s or this Jeff Tweedy model.

What the deeper sides give you is more bass response and possibly a louder instrument, but they’re actually less projective, and less capable of cutting through a group of other instruments being played at the same time.

Guitarists often confuse projection with loudness, but they’re two different things. They’re related, but having a lot of low end overtones actually makes guitars less likely to cut through.

Which is why Martin D-35’s are so vanishingly rare in bluegrass bands. D-35’s are plenty loud up close, but they don’t project nearly as well through the clatter and clamor of a bluegrass band as a D-18 or an HD-28 will. D-35’s have too many overtones spreading over the audible spectrum for them to be heard well in a crowd, however deafeningly loud they might be when you stand right in front of one.

You’ll find the same sort of thing with a deep body Double O, even though it’s not as bass heavy as a D-35. So it might cut through marginally better, but still won’t be as projective as a Double O with the normal body depth.

Which I do know about from personal experience, because I’m a big fan of 12 fret Double O’s, and have owned several over the years. They’re little but mighty, and quite often surprise other musicians with how powerful they are.

Short version: when you deepen the sides of a Double O or Triple O or OM, you’ll get more bass response and possibly more loudness in the immediate area around the guitar. But you actually diminish the projective qualities of the guitar to a noticeable degree.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-30-2020, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

I came perilously close to buying a “Tweedy” that my local shop had a couple years ago, simply because it was so beautiful and had such an amazing tone...but alas, the inability for me to come to terms with the rather aggressive mod-V neck shape made me walk away.

YMMV
Old 07-30-2020, 05:49 AM

Those V necks are the reason I’ve never owned a Martin 000-28EC or a 000-42EC. I know Mr. Clapton prefers that neck profile, but it’s too much for me.

whm
Old 07-30-2020, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Owned one. loved the look, neck, string spacing, sustainability features, but the tone was just good. I ended up with the 000-15SM which really has more tone, especially for the price.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Not sure about the Tweedy but for about the same price you can get a CEO7 which has traditional dovetail and adirondack top. That seems like the better instrument to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion