The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Default Need some portable recorder advice:

I am looking for something that I can use to make the sound better for Facebook Live events. I am sure that I can plug the Zoom H4n Pro, H5 and H6 directly into my iphone and ipad using the camera adapter, if I am wrong please let me know. I would like to use just the x/y microphones on these recorders but it would be nice to have the option to use a vocal and an acoustic mic as well. I really don't need anything more than two inputs because anything I do will just be vocal and acoustic. Again, I would preferably like to just use the x/y mics that are on it rather than plugging anything in.

Question is, would the H6 really just be overkill? would the H4n Pro be everything that I need it to be? I would also eventually be using this recorder in conjunction with a Canon T7i for video sound. Thanks in advance for the advice guys!
Old 02-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

I don't have answers to specific video recording equipment, but one thing to keep in mind is that audio inputs of video recorders often go through automatic gain control (AGC) located within the video recorder, which is typically not good. Also, if you're using an analog signal from your portable recorder to the video recorder you are not taking advantage of the audio recorders analog to digital converters (ADC), and the ADC in the video recorder is probably not as good.

Something you could consider is recording the audio separately from the video (audio and video recorded on separate devices but at the same time). This will take full advantage of the audio recorders electronics. You would then need to combine the audio and video files.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-15-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Wink

There's always the Zoom Q8, which has the video camera & 4 track audio all in one unit. I use it with two external condenser mics & it works great! Pretty much an all-purpose unit.
Steve
Old 02-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Your phone
Old 02-19-2018, 08:23 AM

I have been actually getting really good results using a Blue Yeti into my iPhone or iPad! I just thought something like the H5 might be easier to haul around and give similar results. The only problem with the Blue Yeti is that I have to use a powered Apple camera adapter for it to work with either the iPhone or the iPad. I would like to try to eliminate as many wires as possible.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I have been actually getting really good results using a Blue Yeti into my iPhone or iPad! I just thought something like the H5 might be easier to haul around and give similar results. The only problem with the Blue Yeti is that I have to use a powered Apple camera adapter for it to work with either the iPhone or the iPad. I would like to try to eliminate as many wires as possible.
I have the same problem. Which I think is about to be solved by an aquisistion of a Fishman Loudbox artist.

I did this recording with my iPhone 6 Plus using an I-Rig Pre HD and the AKG Condenser mic I already have. Problem is to get good guitar, vocal suffers, so I need 2 mics doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzq2...ature=youtu.be

My plan is to use the Direct Out from the Fishman Loudbox to the I-Rig. The Fishman will let me plug in and use a vocal mic and not have to mic the Fishman.

In therory this should all work.

FWIW, I have a Scarlett DAW and Ableton, but the learning curve...
Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 AM

I am wondering about the sound quality of the Zoom H5 versus the Blue Yeti.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

If you have a webcam on your computer what about using the Scarlett interface and a mic to capture audio for Facebook Live events? Set your computer to use the Scarlett for audio in instead of its own internal mic. On a mac this is pretty easy. You would not need to use Ableton or another DAW as I assume this is all streamed realtime to FB. I do something similar for audio/video calls over the web, using an interface/mic for better sound.

That might be easier than dealing with the iPad and other options you mentioned.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:47 AM

The only reason that I am dealing mostly with the iPad or iPhone is because it is being used for "Flash Sets" where they aren't always in the same room and they can take place in different locations all over. It might be sitting in a room with friends or just being in a certain location. May be sitting in with a busker for a song or two. The basic idea is as few chords and equipment as possible with the best sound quality obtainable. I know that It is not going to be studio sound quality and it really isn't supposed to be. Portability is the key. The Yeti is great, but requires a powered adapter to work with the iPad or iPhone. It is also a little bulky to just throw in a bag and wander around with. That is what got me looking at the Zoom H5 and H6. I just thought that the H6 was really more than I would need. The nice thing about the H5 as well was the ability to mount it on the top of my camera when I am just shooting video.

I love the results I get from my Yeti which is why I was wondering if they were comparable in sound quality.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:02 PM

I've used a Zoom H4n to record digital audio to go along with digital video from a Nikon HDSLR. Its called double system audio in the film industry. I synchronize them in Final Cut Pro X but you can do this with most decent video editing software. "Slating" both camera & DAR at the top of the recording helps the s/w match files effectively.

I'm sure you can use the Zoom H4n to record performance audio using the x/y configure mics. I plan on using it this summer when I attend a songwriting camp.

You said you can plug the Zoom H4n into your iPhone or iPad in the original post but I've never done that so can't comment on that use.

Take care,

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD