The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-10-2019, 02:12 PM

Question Schatten HFN with Fireeye Red Eye preamp

Heya all!

I'm very much considering getting a Schatten HFN for a newly acquired Boucher OM-SG1 (which I got a hell of a deal on) and I own a fireeye red eye preamp. I'm wondering if anyone here uses the two together and what their experience is like?

In short; Fireeye Red eye preamp + Schatten HFN = yay or nay?

Thanks!
-Z.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoken View Post
Heya all!

I'm very much considering getting a Schatten HFN for a newly acquired Boucher OM-SG1 (which I got a hell of a deal on) and I own a fireeye red eye preamp. I'm wondering if anyone here uses the two together and what their experience is like?

Thanks!
-Z.
It'll work for you!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-10-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Heya all!

Thanks!
-Z.
The HFN is a great sounding pickup and the Red Eye is a great preamp. You should be fine as almost everything sent through a Red Eye sounds better to my ears. Below is a video sampling of the HFN sent through a Fishman Platinum Stage. At one point I had the Fishman and the Red Eye; the Fishman was okay, the Red Eye sounded better to my ears and I regret selling it. To me it makes sense to have a DI that is about as basic as possible because what you are running down-chain is either an amp or PA or both. The point of amplification usually has decent EQ so the Fishman (while a great sounding unit) is a bit overkill, on the other hand the Red Eye or the L.R. Baggs Session DI just give you a fantastic upfront signal.

I'm actually thinking about pulling the trigger on the L.R. Baggs Session DI. I've learned to appreciate a less-is-more approach for my personal stage needs and I really like what this unit does and how it sounds.

Last edited by steelvibe; 11-11-2019 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added information
Old 11-10-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The HFN is a great sounding pickup and the Red Eye is a great preamp. You should be fine as almost everything sent through a Red Eye sounds better to my ears. Below is a video sampling of the HFN sent through a Fishman Platinum Stage (I had the Fishman and it was okay). To me it makes sense to have a DI that is about as basic as possible because what you are running down chain is either an amp or PA or both. The point of amplification usually has decent EQ so the Fishman (while a great sounding unit) is a bit overkill, while the Red Eye or the L.R. Baggs Session DI make more in my opinion.

Nice Video! You've gotten excellent tone from your Schatten HFN and Fishman Platinum Stage. I'll have to reevaluate my Martin D-18/Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 installation. Although my HFN installation was spot-in for location, I find my Martin D-18's 6th-string is lacking in output compared to the other strings.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Nice Video! You've gotten excellent tone from your Schatten HFN and Fishman Platinum Stage. I'll have to reevaluate my Martin D-18/Schatten HFN Artist Plus 2 installation. Although my HFN installation was spot-in for location, I find my Martin D-18's 6th-string is lacking in output compared to the other strings.
My findings as well with the HFN. I wanted to try pairing it with a UST and then use something like the tonedexter or aura. The UST would give the string balance and low end that the HFN lacks and the HFN would provide a more natural tone. The aura or tonedexter could just help get rid of some of the piezo tone. The issue is that with the UST installed and the wire coming out the bottom of the bridgeplate, I am no longer able to put the HFN in the correct spot.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
The HFN is a great sounding pickup and the Red Eye is a great preamp. You should be fine as almost everything sent through a Red Eye sounds better to my ears. Below is a video sampling of the HFN sent through a Fishman Platinum Stage (I had the Fishman and it was okay). To me it makes sense to have a DI that is about as basic as possible because what you are running down chain is either an amp or PA or both. The point of amplification usually has decent EQ so the Fishman (while a great sounding unit) is a bit overkill, while the Red Eye or the L.R. Baggs Session DI make more in my opinion.

Thanks a bunch for the reply Steelvibe! Much appreciated!
Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 AM

I'll be the party pooper. The Red Eye is 1M Ohm input impedance. I found that to be a little too low for the HFN and made it sound too thin. It might be OK, but I found 5-10M Ohm was more pleasing to my ear.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the reply Steelvibe! Much appreciated!
Oh you are welcome. I just edited my post and see that martingitdave has also added to the discussion. I've read many of his posts on here and he has more experience that I do I can pretty much guarantee. Sounds like he is not recommending the Red Eye for the HFN.

Also, that video is not mine. I don't have first hand experience with the HFN, only the Fishman and Red Eye with K&K pure mini and JJB 330 pickups. Those pickups both sounded great with the Red Eye- better than the Fishman to my ear. But this video demonstrating the HFN sounds really good with the Fishman. I would be very happy with that tone.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Oh you are welcome. I just edited my post and see that martingitdave has also added to the discussion. I've read many of his posts on here and he has more experience that I do I can pretty much guarantee. Sounds like he is not recommending the Red Eye for the HFN.

Also, that video is not mine. I don't have first hand experience with the HFN, only the Fishman and Red Eye with K&K pure mini and JJB 330 pickups. Those pickups both sounded great with the Red Eye- better than the Fishman to my ear. But this video demonstrating the HFN sounds really good with the Fishman. I would be very happy with that tone.

Well, my experience is all trial and error. Mostly error. :-). The Fishman is a 10M Ohm preamp and sounds good with the HFN. That was my setup when I was demo’ing the HFN.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:32 AM

Would the HFN Passive with LR Baggs Para DI (or Session DI) be a good match?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:07 AM

The Schatten BB-03 volume control is 500K ohms and they sell that for the HFN (and other pickups).

I just tried my passive HFN into the BB-03 into my HX Stomp (1M ohm input impedance) and then repeated without the BB-03. For me it sounds the same and excellent either way.

I don't have anything with a 10M ohm input impedance to compare against.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-12-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
The Schatten BB-03 volume control is 500K ohms and they sell that for the HFN (and other pickups).

I just tried my passive HFN into the BB-03 into my HX Stomp (1M ohm input impedance) and then repeated without the BB-03. For me it sounds the same and excellent either way.

I don't have anything with a 10M ohm input impedance to compare against.
John makes a good point (as usual). But, depending on the pickup, I can hear a difference with different impedance preamps. Of course, different preamps have more differences than impedance alone. But, too low an impedance can act as a low cut filter, which may or may not be a problem based on your setup and preferences.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Definitively a yay from me. See my post from today.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

that's a nice guitar. And a nice pickup. A ToneDexter would be my choice for preamp. It'll make that Schatten sound like the unamplified acoustic.

REALLY ! ! !
Old 11-15-2019, 09:55 AM

Can't speak for the Red eye as I don't have one. My audio interface has a 1 Mohm input impedance which I use quite a bit at home with the HFN with no issues. The Behringer ADI21, which I sometimes use at a venue, also has an input impedance of 1 Mohm and I have no issues with that either. On the other side of the coin, I mostly plug straight into my Fishman amp which has an input impedance of 5 Mohm which of course works fine. 1 Mohm seems to work fine with the HFN but I certainly wouldn't recommend going lower.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification