The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:43 AM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 529
Default Microphone to hear what is setting my dog off?

Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced (under $100) microphone that I can place or use in my back yard to get an idea what might be upsetting my dog?

She started barking at something about four weeks ago, and I can't figure out what it could be, so I thought I'd try to see if it is something she is hearing that I can't hear.

Obviously it could be a new smell or something else in the neighbourhood, but I thought I'd start by seeing if it's a sound.

I've tried walking all around the neighbourhood to see if I can find anything new, but so far everything seems to be the same as before she started barking.

I'm not sure what I would be connecting the microphone to. I guess I could get one of those ones where it's a dish kind of thing and you listen through headphones? I have made a few search attempts on Amazon, but haven't found anything like what I was expecting so far.

Thanks!
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 PM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 11,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced (under $100) microphone that I can place or use in my back yard to get an idea what might be upsetting my dog?

She started barking at something about four weeks ago, and I can't figure out what it could be, so I thought I'd try to see if it is something she is hearing that I can't hear.

Obviously it could be a new smell or something else in the neighbourhood, but I thought I'd start by seeing if it's a sound.

I've tried walking all around the neighbourhood to see if I can find anything new, but so far everything seems to be the same as before she started barking.

I'm not sure what I would be connecting the microphone to. I guess I could get one of those ones where it's a dish kind of thing and you listen through headphones? I have made a few search attempts on Amazon, but haven't found anything like what I was expecting so far.

Thanks!
Except that a microphone that could pick up sounds beyond human hearing (20 - 20k htz ) would not work unless you also had a playback system that goes beyond 20-20k .. And even then even while you might be able to see signals being generated beyond human hearing hitting some kind of meter, you would still not be able to hear it, without some kind of software (if it exists) that can render the signal back into the human range, which may still make it not distinguishable as to source.
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 PM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Except that a microphone that could pick up sounds beyond human hearing (20 - 20k htz ) would not work unless you also had a playback system that goes beyond 20-20k .. And even then even while you might be able to see signals being generated beyond human hearing hitting some kind of meter, you would still not be able to hear it, without some kind of software (if it exists) that can render the signal back into the human range, which may still make it not distinguishable as to source.
My thinking was that the dog could hear something too quiet for me to hear, not too high-pitched.
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2019, 12:46 PM
robj144 robj144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
My thinking was that the dog could hear something too quiet for me to hear, not too high-pitched.
Well, if it's above 20k, it would also be quiet to you.
__________________
Guild CO-2
Guild JF30-12
Guild D55
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2019, 02:52 PM
Steve DeRosa Steve DeRosa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 8,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
My thinking was that the dog could hear something too quiet for me to hear, not too high-pitched.
Did someone at the other end of town just buy a banjo...?
__________________
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2019, 03:02 PM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Did someone at the other end of town just buy a banjo...?
LOL, could be, it's the right part of the world.
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 PM
Zandit75 Zandit75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Penguin, Tasmania, OZ
Posts: 811
Default

Unfortunately, it could be anything.
Things to look for.....
New construction within a mile or two - You'd be surprised how far they can hear, and the vibrations in the air can be quite upsetting to some animals. Also, reversing beepers at the construction site travel a great distance.
New pets in the area - Maybe even new neighbors
Possums in the trees
Mice skittering around the house
She's not on heat at all?

Something to consider, purchasing one of those compression comforting dog blankets/coats.

I hope you find a solution, nothing worse than having the authorities or neighbors knocking on your door complaining about the noise, been there, dealt with that a number of times.
__________________
1995 Maton EM725C - Solid 'A' Spruce Top, QLD Walnut B&S, AP5 Pickup
2015 Ibanez AEL108MD-NT - Laminated Spruce top, Laminated Mahogany B&S, Fishman Sonicore Pickup
2018 Custom Built OM - Silver Quandong Top, Aussie Blackwood B&S, Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend Pickup


-----I see you're playing stupid again. It looks like Stupid's winning too!!!-----
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:27 AM
MikeBmusic MikeBmusic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: On the Mass/NH border
Posts: 5,607
Default

Uhh, how about 'don't leave your dog outside at night'?
An animal rustling through the bushes or in the neighbor's yard - racoon, skunk, cat...
__________________
Mike

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73 Epiphone 6830E 6 string (made in 71?)

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone ($25!)

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 AM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
She's not on heat at all?
No, she was spayed years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Uhh, how about 'don't leave your dog outside at night'?
I'm not sure what gave you the idea that I leave her outside at night, but I don't--I don't leave her outside EVER; she has a doggie door to come and go onto the deck and into her fenced-in yard as she pleases.

Any way, thanks for the responses so far. Does anyone have any actual suggestions for the type of microphone that I am thinking of? This would be a microphone that I could use to hear things that my dog might be hearing that are too quiet for me to hear, as opposed to being out of the range of human hearing.
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Golffishny Golffishny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 475
Default

Usually my dog barks when she sees or smells another animal. Also if she hears another dog barking, there's about 25 dogs in out neighborhood. My wife doesn't notice the little things that trigger our dog, often they're subtle.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:19 AM
KevWind's Avatar
KevWind KevWind is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edge of Wilderness Wyoming
Posts: 11,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post

Any way, thanks for the responses so far. Does anyone have any actual suggestions for the type of microphone that I am thinking of? This would be a microphone that I could use to hear things that my dog might be hearing that are too quiet for me to hear, as opposed to being out of the range of human hearing.
Well "assuming" the sound is too quiet as opposed to out of human range ( a 50/50 chance at best) I am guessing by your posts what you are talking about is a parabolic listening device/mic headset combination, like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parabolic-S...75.c1#viTabs_0

There are cheaper ones just google "parabolic listening device "
BUT be aware not only is it likely very much " you get what pay for "
But even a good one is going to be very directional and will pick up all sounds including wind and all typical neighborhood sounds and may not really inform you as to what is actually setting off your dog .... just sayin'
__________________
" Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein
Enjoy the Journey.... Kev...


KevWind at Soundcloud

Last edited by KevWind; 02-12-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:35 AM
fitness1's Avatar
fitness1 fitness1 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Central Lower Michigan
Posts: 17,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
Usually my dog barks when she sees or smells another animal.
My first thought - probably a raccoon, squirrels or even something like chipmunks burrowing under your porch?

Doesn't take much to set them off.
__________________
"One small heart, and a great big soul that's driving"

Charis SJ Koa/BC Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Taylor custom GC Mahogany/Sitka
Cordoba Solista EIR/Euro Spruce

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 AM
cmd612 cmd612 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,941
Default

When my dogs bark at something, they invariably stare intently in the direction of whatever it is they're barking at, which gives me a pretty good idea of where to look to see what's causing it. Could be squirrels, raccoons, birds, people . . . . We used to have an really wound-up little terrier mix who, especially as he got older and his eyesight started to go, would bark at leaves falling off of trees.

Of course, it's also really easy to inadvertently train a dog to bark just to get its owners' attention. (Done that.)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:31 AM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well "assuming" the sound is too quiet as opposed to out of human range ( a 50/50 chance at best) I am guessing by your posts what you are talking about is a parabolic listening device/mic headset combination, like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parabolic-S...75.c1#viTabs_0

There are cheaper ones just google "parabolic listening device "
BUT be aware not only is it likely very much " you get what pay for "
But even a good one is going to be very directional and will pick up all sounds including wind and all typical neighborhood sounds and may not really inform you as to what is actually setting off your dog .... just sayin'
Thank you, the word "parabolic" was what was missing from my searching, so that helped, but it showed me that I would need to spend way more than would be justified. I am tempted to get one of the "toy" ones to play with, but I'll probably just leave it and just explore all the other possible reasons for my dogs change in behaviour.
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 AM
agfsteve agfsteve is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Northeast Tennessee, USA
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
When my dogs bark at something, they invariably stare intently in the direction of whatever it is they're barking at, which gives me a pretty good idea of where to look to see what's causing it.
Yes, my dog does exactly that, but I can't see what she's looking at, or thinks she's looking at. I've walked over to where she's looking at, and around the area, but I can't find anything that wasn't already there before she started barking, which has now been going on for maybe a month.
__________________
...Or something
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=