The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Could it be some of the cheating they have done in the past?
Nah. Definitely the fault of people who don't like the Patriots.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM

When you wear your beliefs on your proverbial sleeve and Tom Brady does, you lose some folks.

When you cheat to win, you lose some more.

When a size 8 1/2 hat is too tight, you lose some more.

The rest are Pats fans.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

There’s a fine woman in Boston who’s spirit I appreciate far more than most Pats fans. For every point the Pats score, she’s donating something like $5 or $10 to help those in need buy healthcare. Based on that, I hope the Rams win 417-414, rather than the 52-3 I’d previously been hoping for.

Last edited by raysachs; 01-31-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

The Patriots have visited the Super Bowl 10 times this century. Only 5 other AFC teams have been. The NFC has had 13 different teams represent the conference. There is a natural jealousy when a team plays for a championship far more often than the statistical odds would indicate.

Then there is the innovation - the Patriots play into far more "grey" areas that they identify, and when the resulting howl goes up, the NFL changes the rules. The snow plow rule, the Tuck Rule, the Brady Rule, the 5 Yard contact rule, and more - these have all been influenced by the Patriots pushing the limits.

Then there is Brady's encyclopediac knowledge of the Rule Book. He wins so many arguments with the referees resulting in favorable rulings for his team that it seems he must know the rule book better than the officials. The NY Times actually profiled one game where he consistently convinced the refs to pick up a flag or throw a flag after the fact. No other players get that deference.

Couple that with all the various spygate, deflategate, helmetgate and what other borderline issues the team has been involved with under B&B, then it is easy to understand why a public that resents the tremendous amount of success that the team has enjoyed has plenty of reason to list the NE Patriots as their public enemy #1.

I just consider the Pats the NFL's version of a WWF bad guy.

Go Rams!
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 01-31-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
The Patriots have visited the Super Bowl 10 times this century. Only 5 other AFC teams have been. The NFC has had 13 different teams represent the conference. There is a natural jealousy when a team plays for a championship far more often than the statistical odds would indicate.

Then there is the innovation - the Patriots play into far more "grey" areas that they identify, and when the resulting howl goes up, the NFL changes the rules. The snow plow rule, the Tuck Rule, the Brady Rule, the 5 Yard contact rule, and more - these have all been influenced by the Patriots pushing the limits.

Then there is Brady's encyclopediac knowledge of the Rule Book. He wins so many arguments with the referees resulting in favorable rulings for his team that it seems he must know the rule book better than the officials. The NY Times actually profiled one game where he consistently convinced the refs to pick up a flag or throw a flag after the fact. No other players get that deference.

Couple that with all the various spygate, deflategate, helmetgate and what other borderline issues the team has been involved with under B&B, then it is easy to understand why a public that resents the tremendous amount of success that the team has enjoyed has plenty of reason to list the NE Patriots as their public enemy #1.

Go Rams!
The rule changes I see the opposite. Take the 5 yard contact rule, for instance. It was completely legal to "check" receivers within 5 yards on the line of scrimmage forever, as long the ball wasn't in the air. The Pats did this better than most and used it against the Colts in the 2004 AFC championship game, I believe. The Colts couldn't figure it out and get a clean release off the line. As a result, Bill Polian, the GM of the Colts of the league at the time, petitioning the league to change the rule when they did. Which would, of course, benefit a team like the Colts and limit the Pats strategy.

The league constantly tries to limit how successful the Pats are and yet they keep on adapting.

I also don't see them getting more flags than other teams. They are often called for offensive PI when most teams are not for similar plays. And Gronk has people all over and he almost never gets PI called against him. Seriously, watch their games and pay attention.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-31-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
There’s a fine woman in Boston who’s spirit I appreciate far more than most Pats fans. For every point the Pats score, she’s donating something like $5 or $10 to help those in need buy healthcare. Based on that, I hope the Rams win 417-414, rather than the 52-3 I’d previously been hoping for.
That's a good one, Ray. What's that line for winning a high scoring game by one point, "defense"? But I'm all about love, y'all, on this Super Bowl topic. Star Wars had its evil empire - we non-Patriot fans have the Patriots. And I even dug that Brady was so ticked off he didn't shake Foles' hand - sweet. Pats, the 'Boys have been in hibernation, so it's all yours.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I’m following stories on the apparent visceral hatred of Brady, Belichik and the Patriots. I just don’t get it.
Just hate of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
That's a good one, Ray. What's that line for winning a high scoring game by one point, "defense"? But I'm all about love, y'all, on this Super Bowl topic. Star Wars had its evil empire - we non-Patriot fans have the Patriots. And I even dug that Brady was so ticked off he didn't shake Foles' hand - sweet. Pats, the 'Boys have been in hibernation, so it's all yours.

It is not uncommon for QB’s not to meet in the field and shake hands because it’s such an emotional game, that it’s sometimes impossible with all the confetti and celebration going on. Manning didn’t shake Brees hand in 2010’s Super Bowl, and nobody cared. Cam Newton didn’t shake Manning’s hand when they lost to the Broncos, and he got some crap for it. Brady didn’t shake Eli’s hand both times, and last year. And guess what, it’s ok, it doesn’t mean he’s a bad sport, it simply means he’s upset for losing, and he doesn’t need to go out of his way, interrupt the opposing team’s celebration for something that means very little to each QB.

Quote:

Yes, because no NFL team ever cheats. Those Patriot “cheats” were meaningless stuff blown out of proportion, for the simple fact it’s the Patriots.

www.yourteamcheats.org
Old 01-31-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Those Patriot “cheats” were meaningless stuff blown out of proportion, for the simple fact it’s the Patriots.

www.yourteamcheats.org
They *were* overblown. Nothing more than misdemeanors, at most. The Eagles lost their Super Bowl because the brain power just wasn't there.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
They *were* overblown. Nothing more than misdemeanors, at most. The Eagles lost their Super Bowl because the brain power just wasn't there.
Yeah, if I remember there were two predominant opinions around here after that loss. Both of them started with “Andy Reid’s clock management was that of a five year old child”. For a lot of folks that was the whole story - didn’t even give us a chance to win. The other opinion was that Andy Reid’s clock management sucked AND the Patriots cheated...
Old 01-31-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yeah, if I remember there were two predominant opinions around here after that loss. Both of them started with “Andy Reid’s clock management was that of a five year old child”. For a lot of folks that was the whole story - didn’t even give us a chance to win. The other opinion was that Andy Reid’s clock management sucked AND the Patriots cheated...
But, "spygate" was the supposedly against the Rams, not the Eagles.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 02-01-2019, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
But, "spygate" was the supposedly against the Rams, not the Eagles.
Spygate was against the Jets. I think there was another incident involving the Rams, but it was the Jets incident that led to substantial penalties from the league.

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 02-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Spygate was against the Jets. I think there was another incident involving the Rams, but it was the Jets incident that led to substantial penalties from the league.

CK
That’s when they got caught, but it was assumed they’d been doing it a while before they were penalized for it. Nonetheless, Andy Reid couldn’t manage a clock, causing Belichek to ask his assistants a couple of times latein the game if there was something wrong with the scoreboard...
Old 02-01-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
What cheating?
Old 02-01-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Go Rams!
Please explain what you mean by spygate. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Seriously, watch their games and pay attention.
Or they can watch ESPN to fuel their hatred with 'facts' about spygate, deflategate, greatestteamevergate.😂

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic