The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Dirk Hofman's Avatar
Dirk Hofman Dirk Hofman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NOR * CAL
Posts: 4,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Could it be some of the cheating they have done in the past?
Nah. Definitely the fault of people who don't like the Patriots.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2019, 03:35 PM
Nyghthawk Nyghthawk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,934
Default

When you wear your beliefs on your proverbial sleeve and Tom Brady does, you lose some folks.

When you cheat to win, you lose some more.

When a size 8 1/2 hat is too tight, you lose some more.

The rest are Pats fans.
__________________
Martin OM-21 (Olivia)
Blueridge BR-163 (Ophelia)
Yamaha FS700s (Louise aka Lou Lou)

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-31-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Edited
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:04 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 799
Default

There’s a fine woman in Boston who’s spirit I appreciate far more than most Pats fans. For every point the Pats score, she’s donating something like $5 or $10 to help those in need buy healthcare. Based on that, I hope the Rams win 417-414, rather than the 52-3 I’d previously been hoping for.

Last edited by raysachs; 01-31-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:21 PM
Cypress Knee Cypress Knee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North County San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,158
Default

The Patriots have visited the Super Bowl 10 times this century. Only 5 other AFC teams have been. The NFC has had 13 different teams represent the conference. There is a natural jealousy when a team plays for a championship far more often than the statistical odds would indicate.

Then there is the innovation - the Patriots play into far more "grey" areas that they identify, and when the resulting howl goes up, the NFL changes the rules. The snow plow rule, the Tuck Rule, the Brady Rule, the 5 Yard contact rule, and more - these have all been influenced by the Patriots pushing the limits.

Then there is Brady's encyclopediac knowledge of the Rule Book. He wins so many arguments with the referees resulting in favorable rulings for his team that it seems he must know the rule book better than the officials. The NY Times actually profiled one game where he consistently convinced the refs to pick up a flag or throw a flag after the fact. No other players get that deference.

Couple that with all the various spygate, deflategate, helmetgate and what other borderline issues the team has been involved with under B&B, then it is easy to understand why a public that resents the tremendous amount of success that the team has enjoyed has plenty of reason to list the NE Patriots as their public enemy #1.

I just consider the Pats the NFL's version of a WWF bad guy.

Go Rams!
__________________
-----------------------------
Jim Adams
Collings OM
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 PM
robj144 robj144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
The Patriots have visited the Super Bowl 10 times this century. Only 5 other AFC teams have been. The NFC has had 13 different teams represent the conference. There is a natural jealousy when a team plays for a championship far more often than the statistical odds would indicate.

Then there is the innovation - the Patriots play into far more "grey" areas that they identify, and when the resulting howl goes up, the NFL changes the rules. The snow plow rule, the Tuck Rule, the Brady Rule, the 5 Yard contact rule, and more - these have all been influenced by the Patriots pushing the limits.

Then there is Brady's encyclopediac knowledge of the Rule Book. He wins so many arguments with the referees resulting in favorable rulings for his team that it seems he must know the rule book better than the officials. The NY Times actually profiled one game where he consistently convinced the refs to pick up a flag or throw a flag after the fact. No other players get that deference.

Couple that with all the various spygate, deflategate, helmetgate and what other borderline issues the team has been involved with under B&B, then it is easy to understand why a public that resents the tremendous amount of success that the team has enjoyed has plenty of reason to list the NE Patriots as their public enemy #1.

I just consider the Pats the NFL's version of a WWF bad guy.

Go Rams!
The rule changes I see the opposite. Take the 5 yard contact rule, for instance. It was completely legal to "check" receivers within 5 yards on the line of scrimmage forever, as long the ball wasn't in the air. The Pats did this better than most and used it against the Colts in the 2004 AFC championship game, I believe. The Colts couldn't figure it out and get a clean release off the line. As a result, Bill Polian, the GM of the Colts of the league at the time, petitioning the league to change the rule when they did. Which would, of course, benefit a team like the Colts and limit the Pats strategy.

The league constantly tries to limit how successful the Pats are and yet they keep on adapting.

I also don't see them getting more flags than other teams. They are often called for offensive PI when most teams are not for similar plays. And Gronk has people all over and he almost never gets PI called against him. Seriously, watch their games and pay attention.
__________________
Guild CO-2
Guild JF30-12
Guild D55
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-31-2019, 05:50 PM
Bax Burgess Bax Burgess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Thereís a fine woman in Boston whoís spirit I appreciate far more than most Pats fans. For every point the Pats score, sheís donating something like $5 or $10 to help those in need buy healthcare. Based on that, I hope the Rams win 417-414, rather than the 52-3 Iíd previously been hoping for.
That's a good one, Ray. What's that line for winning a high scoring game by one point, "defense"? But I'm all about love, y'all, on this Super Bowl topic. Star Wars had its evil empire - we non-Patriot fans have the Patriots. And I even dug that Brady was so ticked off he didn't shake Foles' hand - sweet. Pats, the 'Boys have been in hibernation, so it's all yours.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 PM
1neeto 1neeto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Iím following stories on the apparent visceral hatred of Brady, Belichik and the Patriots. I just donít get it.
Just hate of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
That's a good one, Ray. What's that line for winning a high scoring game by one point, "defense"? But I'm all about love, y'all, on this Super Bowl topic. Star Wars had its evil empire - we non-Patriot fans have the Patriots. And I even dug that Brady was so ticked off he didn't shake Foles' hand - sweet. Pats, the 'Boys have been in hibernation, so it's all yours.

It is not uncommon for QBís not to meet in the field and shake hands because itís such an emotional game, that itís sometimes impossible with all the confetti and celebration going on. Manning didnít shake Brees hand in 2010ís Super Bowl, and nobody cared. Cam Newton didnít shake Manningís hand when they lost to the Broncos, and he got some crap for it. Brady didnít shake Eliís hand both times, and last year. And guess what, itís ok, it doesnít mean heís a bad sport, it simply means heís upset for losing, and he doesnít need to go out of his way, interrupt the opposing teamís celebration for something that means very little to each QB.


Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Could it be some of the cheating they have done in the past?


Yes, because no NFL team ever cheats. Those Patriot ďcheatsĒ were meaningless stuff blown out of proportion, for the simple fact itís the Patriots.

www.yourteamcheats.org
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 PM
Bax Burgess Bax Burgess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SE PA
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Those Patriot ďcheatsĒ were meaningless stuff blown out of proportion, for the simple fact itís the Patriots.

www.yourteamcheats.org
They *were* overblown. Nothing more than misdemeanors, at most. The Eagles lost their Super Bowl because the brain power just wasn't there.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:32 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
They *were* overblown. Nothing more than misdemeanors, at most. The Eagles lost their Super Bowl because the brain power just wasn't there.
Yeah, if I remember there were two predominant opinions around here after that loss. Both of them started with ďAndy Reidís clock management was that of a five year old childĒ. For a lot of folks that was the whole story - didnít even give us a chance to win. The other opinion was that Andy Reidís clock management sucked AND the Patriots cheated...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 PM
robj144 robj144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yeah, if I remember there were two predominant opinions around here after that loss. Both of them started with ďAndy Reidís clock management was that of a five year old childĒ. For a lot of folks that was the whole story - didnít even give us a chance to win. The other opinion was that Andy Reidís clock management sucked AND the Patriots cheated...
But, "spygate" was the supposedly against the Rams, not the Eagles.
__________________
Guild CO-2
Guild JF30-12
Guild D55
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:18 PM
Cypress Knee Cypress Knee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North County San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
But, "spygate" was the supposedly against the Rams, not the Eagles.
Spygate was against the Jets. I think there was another incident involving the Rams, but it was the Jets incident that led to substantial penalties from the league.

CK
__________________
-----------------------------
Jim Adams
Collings OM
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-31-2019, 11:25 PM
raysachs's Avatar
raysachs raysachs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Spygate was against the Jets. I think there was another incident involving the Rams, but it was the Jets incident that led to substantial penalties from the league.

CK
Thatís when they got caught, but it was assumed theyíd been doing it a while before they were penalized for it. Nonetheless, Andy Reid couldnít manage a clock, causing Belichek to ask his assistants a couple of times latein the game if there was something wrong with the scoreboard...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 AM
Scott O Scott O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Could it be some of the cheating they have done in the past?
What cheating?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-01-2019, 05:19 AM
Scott O Scott O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
The Patriots have visited the Super Bowl 10 times this century. Only 5 other AFC teams have been. The NFC has had 13 different teams represent the conference. There is a natural jealousy when a team plays for a championship far more often than the statistical odds would indicate.

Then there is the innovation - the Patriots play into far more "grey" areas that they identify, and when the resulting howl goes up, the NFL changes the rules. The snow plow rule, the Tuck Rule, the Brady Rule, the 5 Yard contact rule, and more - these have all been influenced by the Patriots pushing the limits.

Then there is Brady's encyclopediac knowledge of the Rule Book. He wins so many arguments with the referees resulting in favorable rulings for his team that it seems he must know the rule book better than the officials. The NY Times actually profiled one game where he consistently convinced the refs to pick up a flag or throw a flag after the fact. No other players get that deference.

Couple that with all the various spygate, deflategate, helmetgate and what other borderline issues the team has been involved with under B&B, then it is easy to understand why a public that resents the tremendous amount of success that the team has enjoyed has plenty of reason to list the NE Patriots as their public enemy #1.

I just consider the Pats the NFL's version of a WWF bad guy.

Go Rams!
Please explain what you mean by spygate. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 AM
Scott O Scott O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Seriously, watch their games and pay attention.
Or they can watch ESPN to fuel their hatred with 'facts' about spygate, deflategate, greatestteamevergate.😂
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=